Smoked Brisket and BBQ Chicken

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by soonerborn, May 23, 2008.

1. soonerborn

soonerborn G&G Newbie

Somebody asked a bit ago how to smoke brisket, and I debated posting my own method and in the mean time posted a method I have seen my mother use time and again. Really though I cant claim to be the inventor of this method as I got it from another Okie. My original way was quite close to it but I think his is better so now I do it that way. Neither of these are really recipes as much as they are methods, highly effective methods. I always receive compliments when I prepare them.

Brisket.

First the best way to cook a brisket is to smoke it. The best smoker has a separate firebox that can be used as a small grill. The smoker portion should also be able to double as a large grill when you want to get alot of chicken or hamburgers done.

Put your favorite rub on it. Really anything that tastes good to you will work. One thing to remember is to stay away from sugar, so if you are buying a rub, check the ingredients list closely and avoid anything with sugar in it. When you burn sugar it gets bitter and this brisket is going to get black. Wrap with plastic wrap and chill up to 2 days. Remove it from the fridge and let it set for 2 hours before cooking though.

In your firebox build you a nice charcoal fire. I like to use real charcoal, and not the charcoal bricks most people use. Get the heat up to 300. Place your brisket right on the firebox grill sans plastic wrap of course. You want to sear each side, I mean really sear. This should take about 10 - 20 mins each side depending on the size and how hot your fire is. You cannot ruin it, so dont fret. Really, I mean sear it good.

Once seared, place in an aluminum pan and place in the smoker section. Smoke it for 2 hours fat side up and smoke 1 hour fat side down at around 220 temp.

When you move it to the smoker section, put on the wood chips you want. I use hickory mostly. If you have a strong rub with lots of strong spices then stay with hickory or mesquite. If you have a rub with delicate and subtle flavors then use a light wood like apple. Oak is a good in between wood to use, not too strong and not too light. I like to use some small chippings and larger chunks. I soak the chips in a cheap bourbon. I dunno that it helps that much, but I do it. I would soak the small chips in water if you dont use bourbon.

After the last hour is up, cover with tinfoil and hold the temp at 220. Most of the smoke flavor is imparted in the first 2 hours and after the 3rd very very little if anything is gained flavor wise. So feel free to move to your oven and finish it the easy way, there is no way to tell the difference. If you need an excuse to stay up all night drinking beer, feel free to tell your spouse it has to stay in the smoker and you have to stay up stoking the fire.

The brisket is done after it reaches 200 internal temp this should take about 7-12 hours depending on your brisket size, a good meat thermo is a great investment and a must for cooking large hunks of meat. You should have a fair amount of juice. Remove the brisket, carefully because it will try to come apart on you, and pour off the juice. Separate the grease. Slice up the brisket, a little thicker than normal helps keep it together, pour juices back over the meat and serve.

Some like to cut the fat off, but I just leave it on and let the people eating it deal with it. Your choice. You can carve off some of the fat and use it to make really good baked beans also.

If this isnt the best, juicest, most tender brisket you have had, I am sorry, you probably messed something up, reread this and ask some questions.

Chicken.

I put a rub on my chicken, again here any kind, but stay away from anything with sugar. Rub it good and let it rest 1 hour before cooking.

I like to cook over real charcoal, at 350 or more to start off with. Toss the chicken on the grill quickly and brown it good then flip it. Usually about 10 mins on the first side. After flipping wait about five mins then cool your fire down. By the time 10 mins is up you should have it cooled down below 300. Sometimes I use water, carefully, to put out some hot spots. Flip the chicken again and cook about 10 mins then flip again and cook another 10 mins. Your chicken should be close to getting done by this time. Check a piece, you want to see a little blood, so that you have about 10 mins of cook time left. When you reach that point, about 10 mins before they are done, brush on your fav BBQ sauce. Sugar here is fine. Its not going to burn in 10 mins on low heat. Coat the tops and cook 5 mins then flip and coat em again and cook another 5. This will help the sauce thicken and set on the chicken, giving it that cooked on flavor without the burning.

Enjoy.

Oh. I really do like Lysanders rubs though, they are the best imo, especially the veggie rub on grilled veggies.

Last edited: May 23, 2008
  2. Thanks for the post; I enjoyed it. It's always good to see how others do things, and I couldn't really find anything to argue with you about. It sounds like brisket and chicken would both turn out fine following your advice.

3. rondog

rondog G&G Evangelist

4. Good site RD. Any one know a good sauce recipe using pepsi?

5. Well, here's one from my single days: mix a fun evening getting sauced with an invitation to spend the night, along with assurances you have a tee-shirt big enough to use for a nightgown, and a Pepsi in the fridge for the next morning.

Worked consistently well on gals ten to fifteen years younger than me...the ones my age drank coffee instead.:09: