Snagging season is coming up

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by Dutch, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Dutch

Dutch G&G Evangelist

CO
    The Kokanee Salmon snagging season is coming up in a few weeks. It is something I never had much interest in, but think I will try this year. Now I just have to figure out where to go.

Anyone familiar with the nuances of salmon snagging? Aside from finding a spot and having stout enough gear, it doesn't appear to be very complex.

2. Dutch

Dutch G&G Evangelist

CO
    So it's like fly fishing in that regard...hah. It would be a shame to mess up my shooting over a snagged salmon.

3. Purdy

Purdy G&G Evangelist

You must have really big Kokanee to need "stout gear" the Kokanee we used to have ran about 10-12 inches. Used 4/0 trebble hooks with a chunk of lead cast in the apex. (got a box of them around here someplace)

4. .22hustler

.22hustler G&G Evangelist

I used to snag king salmon here in NY until they made it illegal...I used a heavy duty, short rod, about 5-6 foot, with 50lb test line, with a big treble hook with lead cast in the middle. WEAR SAFETY GLASSES!!!!!!!! I saw my share of "fishermen" with one eye, and it ain't purdy.You cast out, let it sink some, and then yank back about 5 foot.. Reel in, and yank it back again. You will know when you get a good fish on.. I've snagged females weighing about 30lbs, and males weighing about the same, and when you snag them on the tail, look out..I fished one hole at the bottom of the lower falls in the Genesee River in Rochester, and this hole was unbelieveable. We snagged approx 45-50 kings in about 2 hours. They were stacked in that hole like cordwood. I never kept any of them....You just have to hit them when they're in there. Luck of the draw..