Sniper info needed

Discussion in 'Mosin Nagant' started by ggordon, Sep 5, 2010.

1. ggordon

ggordon G&G Newbie

Decided to hunt for an original 91/30 WWII sniper rifle but need some guidance on a book(s) and/or websites that will help me avoid making an expensive mistake. I want to be certain that it's completely original.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. MJ11

MJ11 G&G Enthusiast

There are only two places with newly brought in originals. I wish I had an answer for you. I found mine back in '89 and then later a Finn importer in '91 and i picked up an incomplete Yugo in '02. Good luck.

[​IMG]

If you see something interesting post pictures. Practice carring a camera and ask questions. Buy the rifle not the story.

Pura Vida
    ...MJ...

Last edited: Sep 5, 2010

3. killsnapz

killsnapz G&G Evangelist

There is only one place I know to get an original Mosin Nagant 91/30 sniper with an original matching scope besides out of some one personal collection.
    RGUNS - Bolt Action Rifles

You can pick up nice reproductions from online sellers from $350 to $500 bucks.

Here is a great page from the Mosin Nagant site with lots of great info on how to identify original scopes from the new production scope.
    sniper section

Michael

4. Iron_Colonel

Iron_Colonel G&G Enthusiast

mosinnagant.net has a sniper section. You might check that out. Just make sure you recognize sniper marks and do your research. Rguns so far as I know is the only place to find a "legit" sniper.

5. jmeck

jmeck Scope mount mfgr. Forum Contributor

NC

+1 on the Rguns tip.They are asking $800 for an original. Anything you find for $350-$500 is likely a repo, which doesn't make it a bad rifle, just not an original sniper.

6. ggordon

ggordon G&G Newbie

Thanks

Thanks for the input. I have Terry Lapin's book but it's very sketchy with regard to snipers.

I'll check out RGuns and start hunting.

7. ggordon

ggordon G&G Newbie

Got one!

I took the plunge and bought an Rguns Mosin sniper

Very happy!! In spite of some complaints about Rguns customer service, I had a great experience

Asked for a Tula -- 2 days later it arrived: Tula, all matching numbers, CH marked, excellent condition and it came with scope covers, bayonet, sling and ammo pouches.

I'll post some pics shortly