Snubnose ?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Logansdad, May 24, 2002.

1. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

anybody carry a snubby out there ? does my 3 inch barreled round butt .357 Magnum model 65 qualify as a snubnose ? it's the closest thing I have right now... but I do have my eye on a Smith model 638... two inch barrel 5 shot .38 Special aluminum frame stainless bodyguard:target:

2. I have a Colt Detective special that I have carried on occasion. Its accurate and the trigger pull is a dream.

3. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

I CARRY MY TAURUS MODEL 85 POLISHED STAINLESS PORTED .38 WITH 2 INCH BARREL LOADED WITH 158 GRAIN SPEER LAWMEN...DON'T LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT.

4. tommy

tommy G&G Enthusiast

i carry a stainless steel .44special with a 3 inch barrel. i shoot 200gr cci hollow point it should do the job in the hand gun range of about 35 yards .:target:

5. AJY

AJY Guest

I carry a S&W model 37 (airweight w/ hammer) daily on my ankle as my on duty back up loaded with Silvertip +p's. Also carry it off duty when I can't carry my P228. It's definitely not a target pistol and the kicks a bit much with the +p's but Ive never had problem qualifying and even from a 2" barrel Im sure it will do the job.

6. RST

RST Guest

Taurus 850 stainless with 158 gr. +P LHP

7. DonEKing

DonEKing Guest

I currently have a Ruger SP101 2 1/2" barrell stainless.

I've got a set of Crimson Trace Laser grips added and it shoots very good. I've recently had a trigger job performed on it, but have not had a chance to shoot it yet.

I primarily use it for my CCW at night, but since I have not shot it yet and gotten use to the new trigger, I've been carrying a Glock 27.

8. Cyclops

Cyclops Guest

No matter what I try to replace my j-frame model 60, I always end up w/ her in my pocket. Those little guys just fit that niche soooo well ;)

9. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

Does a 3 inch barrel qualify as a snubnose ?

10. NRAJOE

Yeah, I would think so...borderline, but yeah!

11. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

what would you carry for ammunition in a snubby ?

12. FEG

FEG Guest

My current cary gun is a Airweight S&W 638-2, the very model you mention. It is tough to beat. Unlike the AirLite series, you can actually enjoy shooting it.

K frames are not normally considered snubs, but it's sort of an arbitrary distinction.

The loads that I discuss in your parallel thread are for the 638-2.

13. NRAJOE

158 Grn Speer Lawman flat nose.

14. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

that 158 grain in a semi jacketed +P hollowpoint ought to be a good choice

15. Calvin

Calvin G&G Evangelist

By generic standards, any revolver with a barrel less than 3-1/2" is a snub-nose. I carry a Tarus 65 with 2-1/2" barrel for off-duty carry, and sometimes as backup.
    As far as the cartridge I use, I prefer the 158 grain Texas Deerstoppers. Very potent in that Taurus of mine! :)

16. FEG

FEG Guest

S&W does not recommend 158gr +P ammunition in an AirLite Sc or AirLite Ti. It's relatively unpleasant in an Airweight, so I doubt that I would ever try it in a lighter J frame.

OTOH, I can pretty much shoot standard pressure 125-130gr loads in an Airweight for as long as I want. It's a compromise in power, but I can afford (and stand) to practice with my carry load.

If you get a chance to try a 638-2, here's one trick that I learned. If you only fire in DA mode, the trigger guard is much less likely to slap your knuckles with the +P loads. I'm not exactly sure why this works, but it does work.

17. TScottW99

TScottW99 Guest

I was carrying a Taurus 85CH but had to sale it :( Want to replace it, but the .44special and .45colt snubbies sure look interesting. Might have to "upgrade" :D

18. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

actually FEG the 638 I saw had .38 Special + P rollmarked on the barrel

19. colt45

colt45 Guest

that doesn't mean its a recomended load it means its rated for +p ammo.
    like a shotgun that says 3 1/2mag. doesn't mean its the recomended load just that it wil handle it safely.

20. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

I figure if it is rollmarked on the barrel it's gonna get loaded with them...'sides it's not like I'm gonna shoot a box of +Ps through it every week