So easy a girl can do it

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Blackrock, May 27, 2008.

1. I set my daughter up today loading rounds for her .222 rem. I showed her how to prep the new brass then prime it with the Lee priming tool. Next she loaded 19.2g of IMR 4198 with the Lee auto disk measure then seated the 50g bullet and completed 50 rounds. Felt pretty proud of herself.:)

I hope 900 rounds and three rifles we ought to have fun doing P-dogs in Wyoming and Montana next week.

Now I have to pump out some 6MM and .257 Bob.

2. 900 rds? I should hope so. lol Hope you have a great time. Remember the camera and either lots of film or secure cards if digital camera and take many pics to then post. Love that country up there.What beautiful country. Just BEAUTIFUL!!!

3. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

It is great that you are introducing her to reloading! And good luck on your trip!

4. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

900rds isnt so much.I have shot well over that in one 5day hunt myself.(dont ask my average,please) sam.

5. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

Blackrock: Sir; sounds like you going to have some more fun with the "MissyBlackrock" and them ground hogs better look out:)
    Do take some pictures:) for us to see. Thanks
    Oh yeah! Make more BULLETS just in case:09:

6. LiveToShoot

LiveToShoot Suspended

It nice to read about the tradition of shooting, and reloading, being passed down to another generation...

Hope your family outing is fun and rewarding.

Oh, how old is your daughter? I started my daughter out shooting when she was 5. There is another daughter on the way in July and she'll also get the opportunity to participate in shooting and reloading when she's old enough to do so.

7. sc928porsche

sc928porsche G&G Newbie

Im glad to see some of you teaching your daughters to hunt and reload. Most men teach their sons only.

I didn't have any sons, only daughters, but they enjoy the hunting and realoading and have taught their husbands.

I have one grandson who lives far away, but my daughter has taught him about shooting sports.
    I am in the process of building him a rifle for his
    first hunting trip. He will be 12 soon and has completed
    his hunter safety course.

8. I only have the one daughter. She is 26 now and has always been my buddy tagging along with me and helping with anything I am doing at the time. Recntly graduated from college with a double major and considers herself quite cosmopolitan but still is a redneck girl at heart. We spent last Saturday at the trap range, she shoots a mean 20ga on those clays.
    Since her Momma passed away last fall we have gotten a lot closer and doing a lot of fun stuff together. This road trip will take in a lot of the western states. NM, CO,NE, SD,WY,ID,UT and back to AZ.
    Probably only get one days good shooting in at my brothers ranch in Montana. But if opportunity presents itself who knows. I am taking more components and my dies as my Bro has a setup at his place.

9. LiveToShoot

LiveToShoot Suspended

Oh, my daughter is 26 too, and she was the same way in tagging along with me and helping...

All the best on your upcoming road trip.

10. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Girls reloading!!! The last great male bastion,gone forever.(sniffle), sam.

11. Windwalker

Windwalker G&G Newbie

lol Yeah Sam, them females are encroaching on everything anymore. Ain 't it great!

12. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

I would not have the b---,,nerve to say otherwise. sam.

13. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Gurlz ain't stoopid ya noe!

14. Have a good time !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. jackar

jackar G&G Newbie

.222 Remington

That was my first varmint rifle. A Remington 722. I was also loading IMR 4198, all the books recommended it. Tried to get too much velocity tho and loaded 21.8 grains and blew a primer. Great little cartridge when used within its range. Have fun.

16. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

That is why they make load books.All that hot loading does is reduce accuracy and mistreat firearms. sam.

17. jackar

jackar G&G Newbie

The books don't always work. Matter of fact I read this article in Gun Digest on the .222 for varmints and the author recommended as a max 22 grains. Only problem is getting 22 grains of IMR 4198 in a .222 case. That's why I stopped at 21.8.

18. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Books always work.Some people dont know how to use them. sam.

19. jackar

jackar G&G Newbie

Books always work.

Well, in THIS case it didn't. Had I got the whole 22 grains loaded the results may have been far worse. That's the mistake that people make, believing the printed word for gospel.