Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back I asked around here what everyone's opinion was on someone with loads of shooting exp but had never owned a gun, I want to say thanks again for all the help; The community here was/is awsome and very helpful, in any case I settled on a Smith & Wesson 1911c as my first gun. I picked it up used from my local dealer for about 670.00 out the door.

I have no complaints about the gun and I cleaned it like I do my car VERY well and meticulous. I also bought some Remington nickle plated hollow point ammo for when I'm carrying it. So that brings me to my question, what ammo do you guys use/like as far as .45 acp goes for both carry and or range I only have about 25 rounds cos I wanted something with the gun while at home or out n about but I have no idea if anything is better for less money or not and so on. thanks for any help you guys provide !

·
Registered
953 Posts
winchester white box = crap. Buy some hydros and keep them for carry, as for practice anything but winchester white box. Its the worst ammo I have ever shot.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
winchester white box = crap. Buy some hydros and keep them for carry, as for practice anything but winchester white box. Its the worst ammo I have ever shot.
i have never had a problem target shooting with white box , i do not use it for my carry round , but its an fair priced bullet.

for defense i use hydra shok

·
Registered
194 Posts
Practice with WWB.

Hydra Shok is ok, but its old technology now.

Better ammo for self-defense:

-Federal HST 230 gr +P JHP
-Federal Tactical 230 gr JHP
-Speer Gold Dot 230 gr JHP
-Winchester Ranger-T 230 gr JHP

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
19,029 Posts
Congratulations and enjoy the pistol !

I like: Buffalo Bore 230 Gr JHP +P
Hornady TAP 200 GR JHP +P
Cor-Bon 185 GR DPX +P
and Cor-Bon regular JHP +P

My Sig feeds these all very well. Stuff I've heard favors the heavier JHP's.
The Golden Sabres I bought had a huge muzzle flash--don't know if it was just my lot or not.

Any heavy JHP that feeds well in your pistol is great. Do shoot some of it to ensure reliability.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Get yourself a Dillon Progressive Press, even the lower Tech ones will save you big bucks and let you afford to learn to shoot. Oh, also don't do like I did, I wore out several 1911 Models shooting real hot loads with all kinda crazy bullets. Shoot a nice light target load for practice and occasionally some of your carry stuff to acustom yourself to it.

·
Registered
16,485 Posts
For carry/personal Defense, Hornady TAP. Great stuff. For practice, what ever works that isn't dirty and runs fine through it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a Kimber classic stainless in .45. It5 seems to really like a Speer 185 gr. Gold Dot over a charge of 8.0 grns. of Unique with a standard large pistole primer. this should give a velocity of about 950 fps. Very nice load for a .45

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
What ever you decide on for a carry load shoot some of it at the range to see if it shoots the same place as your practice ammo or if you have to adjust your aim point and also to be sure it functions correctly in your pistol.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Some 1911's don't like to feed hollow points. Find a round that you like and stick with it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Some 1911's don't like to feed hollow points. Find a round that you like and stick with it.
my 1911 has no prob feeding the HP i have now, they are not very conical and have more of a rounded tip like a fmj round and also this gun can feed spent shells and not jam so im very very happy

ps excuse grammar its late and im lazy

·
Сергей Иванович Мосин.
2,555 Posts
Hydra-Shok is fine for carry. I think I have pictures from when I tested it on a couple of dead hogs at our Farm against 230gr. FMJ Ball... I'll look around and if so I'll post.

·
Super Moderator
16,694 Posts
I shoot either the WInchester white boxes or the UMC brand for target practice.
I shoot Federal 230 grain Hydrashoks for carry.

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
For plinking, I like S&B, it shoots good and it's brass-cased, boxer-primed if you decide to reload for it. The last box I bought was around $16\box for 50 rds.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts