Some great survival recipes

Discussion in 'Survival Gear' started by binabik, Sep 3, 2010.

1. binabik

binabik G&G Newbie

I found this while looking around the internet for something to do with the ezekiel bread and it seems to have some very good reciepes and facts, also i found it a good read. http://homepage.mac.com/rfd1/.Public/ ** Recipes For Life.pdf I was shown ezekiel bread and my idea i was looking for was to make the flour, and then bake it into hardtack, well i personally think this will work. But i got sidetracked when i found this. it has a couple different bread recipes and i really like the parched corn and how good it is, the fact that is has some longevity is perfect for survival and it even lists what you can find it under in the store. then it gives the history, while it may not be as nutritionally complete as ezekiel bread it looks like it has some use to this community. it also compares it to wheat bread :) much better than wheat bread. it also has a good hardtack recipe and of course the history behind it. one of my favorite thing it talks about is pine tea and the fact that you can cook it and get lots of vitamin c from it, while vitamin c in this time period may not be hard to come by if the shtf then it may get a little harder to get, with that tea recipe you can easily aquire enough to stave off scurvy. in fact i would put it this way, pine trees are alot easier to find then lemon trees and other fruit trees. i know no place where i live where i can find a lemon tree but i have 4 pine trees in my front yard, looks like i am set for vit c for a while and i didn't have to do any stockpiling :) the word wrap messed up on me so it won't be as easy to read, and ican't seem to fix it

Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  2. grizcty

grizcty God, Guns, Glory Forum Contributor

Thanks for the link.

It is kinda hard, on the eyes.
    But looks like good info!

3. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

Great link. Thanks !!

4. larmus

larmus G&G Enthusiast

The only problem i see with the ezekial bread is that it wont last, out side a fridge, for to long. It still has a high liquid content, hence them saying its a "moist" bread. if there is moisture there will be mold and spoilage. It does sound like an awesomely good recipe for home use, but I personaly wouldnt want it in a survival situation, unless you completely dried it out first then maybe...

5. binabik

binabik G&G Newbie

yeah i understand that larmus, but if i was to use the flour like i would use wheat flour in a hard tack recipe it pretty much takes all the water out of it so i think if baked into hard tack it would then keep, so a complete healthy meal that will keep for years if stored right, i just hope that the process of making hard tack doesn't destroy all the good stuff in it.

6. larmus

larmus G&G Enthusiast

ok now i see what your talking about. No the process of making hardtack shouldnt reduce the proteins and vitamins within the flour, it only dries it out.

7. I think I may try this one some time, If any thing for when I go out hunting or what ever...

Pemmican - The perfect food and Original MRE​
    2 cups dried meat or jerky (Teriyaki jerky preferred), depending on how lean it
    is, it can take 1, 2 lb per cup. Use only
    deer, moose, caribou, or beef (not pork or bear). Get it as lean as possible and
    double ground from your butcher if you
    don’t have a meat grinder, or are not using home made, or commercial jerky.
    Spread it out very thinly on cookie sheets and dry at 180° overnight with the
    oven door slightly ajar, or until crispy and sinewy. Jerky must be redried just
    as the meat. No moisture. Regrind, process, or otherwise smash it into almost
    a powder.
    2 cups dried fruit to taste, any one, or combination of the following; service
    berries, goose berries, currents, cranberries, raisins, cherries, dates, apricots,
    dried apples. Grind some and leave some diced for texture.
    3 cups rendered tallow, use ONLY food grade, pure white beef suet (ask the
    butcher for it - 4 pounds). Cut into 1 inch chunks and heat on the stove over
    med (or Tallow) heat. Do NOT allow it to burn. Tallow is the liquid that will
    render out and should be poured off and strained through paper coffee filters.
    What’s left over may be stored indefinitely in the fridge, or used to make tallow
    candles.
    Add unsalted nuts (almonds, walnuts, pecans, peanuts, hazelnuts, or whatever
    you like) and seeds (sunflower, pumpkin) to taste, and a shot of honey.
    Combine in a bowl and hand mix until EVERYTHING is coated in tallow. Pat
    into a pan to make a loaf 1 inch thick. When hardened, slice into squares and
    wrap in waxed paper, or double bag into portions. The mixture will last almost
    forever without refrigeration and even longer with it. I have eaten it four years
    old. It actually improves with age. Use a small marble sized piece or two to
    flavor soups, stews and raman noodles.
    HINT: Vary the fat content to the temperature in which it will be consumed.
    Less for summer. Lots for winter. Not only is it good energy food for canoeing
    and hiking, but an excellent snack for cross country skiing. Pemmican is a
    COMPLETE AND PERFECT food. Fats, carbohydrates, protein, sugars,
    vitamins and minerals are all present. Under the harshest of conditions, a
    lightly salted golf ball sized piece, two or three times per day is enough. You
    can survive on it alone for years, and many, including Admiral Peary did. Men
    forced to live solely on salted meats, bread and cereals, suffered and died from
    scurvy: a disease which results from the lack of Vitamin C. Men who lived on
    pemmican had no scurvy. It is unequaled for compactness, lightness,
    wholesomeness, palatability and sustaining power.
    This is not the kumbaya, peanut butter, chocolate chip, and granola yuppie
    abomination. This is the Pemmican that the long hunters, early trappers and
    explorers, and the Native Americans before them, carried and lived on for
    months and years at a time. If your having trouble with the recipe, call me and​
    I’ll talk you through it.