Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since picking up my Mossberg 590, I have been interrested in using my gun in different arenas other than Home Defense.

But the problem is I don't know jack about shotgun shooting sports.

What is the difference between Trap, Skeet, and Sporting Clays?

Also, does anyone know if barrels that would fit the 500 would fit my 590? As I understand it 18.5" barrels aren't very effective for trap/skeet/sporting clays.

Thanks for the info guys.

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
I've been in the same boat as you, trying to find sporting barrels for a Moss 590. I haven't found one at all, seems like they only intended it for short, smooth barrels.

The locking system is the same for the 500 and 590. To use a 500 barrel on a 590 requires the 500 magazine tube, basically making it a 500.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Mossberg change over

To change the barrel on a 590 you have to remove the Mag tube and replace it with the standard 5 round tube and then All the sporting barrels will fit.
The tube unscrews from the reciever, be careful ya dont ruin it use a strap wrench.
As much as that stuff costs, why wouldnt it be easier to get another Mossberg 500 for shooting birds?
I would have to also point out that your 590 is great for sporting clays or just goofing off skeet shooting.
The cylinder bore barrel are perfect
You will hit more clays easier than with a choked gun.
Go buy a hand thrower and a coupla cases of birds at WalMart
Get a good buddy that you can trade off throwing with
and go out somewhere and just practice.
lead your bird and follow through.
your mossberg 590 will be perfect for this, remember ya dont have to load it up full, keep it as light as possible.
Practice Pactice Practice.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,383 Posts
Dennis hit the nail on the head. Of course, if you relly get into it, just another reason to buy another gun :D

The Remington site does give great advice on the mechanics of trap/skeet shooting if I remember correctly. I'll have to check out GTM1's link. Thanx BTW :right:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts