Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market to pick up a bolt action rifle in either .22 long rifle or .17 mach 2. Ive heard good things about savage rifles and ive been looking at them online and they look good are are close to my budget and seem to have several nice features.
So now for the questions lol.
1 What can I expect from savage in terms how reliable and durable they are and do they have any kind of warranty?
2 how accuarte are the savages in general, and if you can compare a savages .22 lr accuarcy to the 10/22 carbine I have that would be great^^
3 whats and and accutrigger and hows it different from a normal trigger?
4 how do the normal savage bolt action rifles compare to the savage stevens rifles and are the scopes that come packaged with some of the rifles worth getting or should I steal my tasco 3-9X siver antler off my ruger for it?
5th and final question for someone on a budget are savages the best way to go or would something like a marlin be better option?

Thanks for reading my post please answer one or all of my questions if your up for it^^

·
Registered
71 Posts
While I'm not that familiar with the savage rimfire rifles, if they are anything like my savage 110, you can't really go wrong. Mine came with a Busnell 3X9 and quite accurate right out of the box. My understanding of the accutrigger is that its adjustable for the amount of pull. You may have to play around with different brands of ammo to findthe most accurate. And that seems to run like that with all the rifle manufacturs. Hope this helps some.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Well savage is generally known to make very good rifles for the price. Accutriggers are supposed to be great since they are so easy to adjust. Accuracy should not be a problem. compared to a 10/22, well hwo knows depends on the rifle probably but a bolt gun will generally be more accurate thats what i would go with personally.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I love my savage. Never messed with their rimfires though...

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
The Savage is a real buy for the dollar. The centerfires are the most accurate rifles out of the box and the rimfires are a good value. The accu trigger is the biggest improvement
in rifles in my lifetime. The accu trigger is the first one to be adjustable to target levels and still be safe. You will notice every one else has improved their triggers to keep up. A while back we had to put up with bad ones to satisfy the lawyers because of Savage now we have good ones and without the lawyers.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I just bought my first Savage rimfire in a 17 HMR, It has the Accutrigger which does allow you to adjust the trigger pull from 2 1/2 Lbs To I think 8, it also serves as a secondary safety in that you have to depress the middle tang before the gun will shoot. If you have a 10-22, I would suggest either the Mach 2 or a 17 HMR, you will get a little more accurate distance with the 17 HMR but the wind can effect it and the weight of the bullet is limited. But I love my Savage almost as much as my accurized 10-22. It has a match grade heavy barrell and a Hogue overmolded stock on it.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My ruger 10/22 carbine is all stock pretty much only thing Idid to it was add a 3-9x 32mm tasco silver antler scope. Im not really a fan of semi auto rifles im actually thinking about trading in my ruger 10/22 carbine. Its like new no dirt grime rust or scratches the rifle is 100% like when I got it. Any ideas ball park ideas what it would bring in at a gunshop. With tax it was about 205 brand new.

·
Registered
8,553 Posts
So now for the questions lol.
1 What can I expect from savage in terms how reliable and durable they are and do they have any kind of warranty?
2 how accuarte are the savages in general, and if you can compare a savages .22 lr accuarcy to the 10/22 carbine I have that would be great^^
3 whats and and accutrigger and hows it different from a normal trigger?
4 how do the normal savage bolt action rifles compare to the savage stevens rifles and are the scopes that come packaged with some of the rifles worth getting or should I steal my tasco 3-9X siver antler off my ruger for it?
5th and final question for someone on a budget are savages the best way to go or would something like a marlin be better option?
^^
1. Reliability and durability are fine. Savage has an awesome customer service and will work with a customer who feels there is a problem.
2. I purchased 2 Mark II bolt guns...one for my grandson and one for me. Out of the box accuracy is on par with the 10/22 I feel considering the iron sight set up on each. The Mark II is tight fitting and very light-weight with the synthetic stock.
3. The Accutrigger is an adjustable trigger pull trigger group that can be adjusted from 3-6 pounds. The factory sets it to 3.5-4 so it's fairly light.
It has a secondary "trigger" that unlocks the sear. You can read about this at Savage.com
4. Savage and Savage Stevens are quite similiar but the Stevens is the inexpensive model (make). For the difference in price it makes sense to just buy a Savage. Quality-wise Stevens are good. I'm not sure what brand scope Savage uses but I think it's a Busnell 4x32. I have this scope on my 10/22T and am very happy with it.
5. I'm not familiar with Marlin bolts but their Model 60 SA has been around for nearly 50 years and is a great quality semi-auto. I would presume that a Marlin bolt would be made just as well.

I own 3 Savage rifles (.22lr Mark II, .22 Hornet Model 40, and a .308 Model 10) and am extremely happy with all of them. Like I said, customer service is great so they stand behind their products well. You would most likely be very satisfied with a Savage.

JUST A NOTE ON YOUR LAST POST...KEEP THE 10/22...YOU WILL REGRET GETTING RID OF IT.

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
I have 3 savages, two rimfires and a .223.

Are they the top of the line? No. But they are good value for the money and good rifles. I recommend them.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
I just received my new Savage 2008 catolog and let me tell they've got some exceelent looking 22's, 17's with accu triggers,bull barrels and different stocks to please anyones taste.
Order a catolog or go to there website and take a look.
I don't think you can go wrong with a Savage...A.H

·
Banned
704 Posts
I just bought a Savage Mark II-BTVS.

There were a couple of minor issues with it as it came out of the box. I removed the barrel and action to see how well they fitted it, and I can say not that well. The barrel is pinned to the action instead of screwed in. They left the pin sticking out too far and it was jamming the action to one side. The recoil lug which is screwed to the bottom of a slot in the barrel was also loose. Both those were easily fixed, and as for the fit, I will bed the action anyway.

There are some differences in the quality of the various models, but for the most part the basic parts are nearly identical, with some models stainless. One minor difference you may want to think about is the trigger guard. In the less expensive models it is plastic, and is screwed directly onto the stock rather than inletted to a recess. That bugs some owners.

I shot about 600 rounds out of it so far with 22 different types of ammo. No misfires, no failures to eject. I did have a couple of feeding jams, but it was my fault as I did not bring the bolt far enough back. I'm very pleased with the way the gun feels and works.

Others have told you about the AccuTrigger. The center leaf part has to be depressed first before the main trigger will fire. This allows Savage (and their lawyers) let the user adjust to lighter trigger pulls. It comes from the factory at the 2.5 lbs minimum. It comes with a tool that allows you to adjust it up to 6 lbs or so, but I don't know why anyone would do it. Many owners cut up to 1 and one half turns (a quarter turn at a time) from the trigger spring. This allows you to get the trigger pull down to 1 lb or so. Here is a picture of it, although I think this is the ceterfire version which is slightly different.

I would suggest you reconsider the Mach 2 choice. It seems to be a dying cartridge, and I think will really limit your choices for guns and ammo. Most now do the .17HMR or LR. LR is still far more popular, and has much less expensive ammo and a much wider range of ammo. CCI Stingers and Velocitors in LR are pretty good for most small game.

For accuracy here is the last target I shot the other day. The range was only 40 yards so that lower number was my attempt to estimate a 50 yard center to center group size. The top number is the measured outside to outside 40 yard size.

This was with the gun out of the box except for fixing the two minor issues mentioned above. Next I will bed the action with Devcon, and cut the spring down to get a lighter pull, and try again.

For scope if you are interested in accuracy, I would suggest looking for one that has an adjustable objective (AO). This will allow you to adjust out the parallax.

You can download the Savage catalogue here:

Savage Arms Literature Downloads

You can see most models on line, but be careful as they have one or two of the photos mixed up. I think the catalogue is ok though.

You won't be disappointed with a Savage rimfire. They are make in Lakefield, Ontario, Canada. Before Savage bought them, they were called Lakefield Arms.

Hope that helps some,

Ron

·
Registered
37 Posts
My first was a Savage 64 .22LR semi-auto with a Simmons scope.It's a
tack driver,from a $150.00 package deal,what's not to like.
I've since bought and used a Savage 114 in .30-06,put a Nikon scope
on it,tahdah, another tack-driver!! I love:kiss: my Savages!
At hundreds of dollars less than a Rem,etc., even better on the wallet.:)

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
My ruger 10/22 carbine is all stock pretty much only thing Idid to it was add a 3-9x 32mm tasco silver antler scope. Im not really a fan of semi auto rifles im actually thinking about trading in my ruger 10/22 carbine. Its like new no dirt grime rust or scratches the rifle is 100% like when I got it. Any ideas ball park ideas what it would bring in at a gunshop. With tax it was about 205 brand new.

TRADE IN A 10/22????? why would you ever want to lol. I love mine and will never part with it. Why not jsut keep it too you can never have too many guns.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts