close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Something interesting at the range

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by jerry, Apr 6, 2002.

1. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    Seen something at the range today whil out shooting the muzzle loader. a guy had a "kit" gun with a fairly trim action area. I struck up a conversation with him and noticed the hammer at the bottom center of the gun. The trigger housing acted as the spring for the hammer. Pretty neat. He told me the name of it, well i have that 30 second rule where if i don't write it down i foreget it. I think my hard drive is maxed out.:eek:
    Any one seen this critter, or can remind me of what it's called?

2. Michael M

Michael M G&G Newbie

You are describing an underhammer rifle. There were (are) also pistols made with this lock work, some called "boot pistol." Guess you could slip one in the top of your boot. I seem to remember that they were an Hopkins & Allen design, from Pennsylvania, but my memory could be off. There are reproductions available in finished and kit form. The old ones had a reputation for accuracy. Being of eastern design they were mostly made in the calibers popular for the woods, not the heavier ones later used on the plains. The lock gave a quicker time than some of the then competitive designs. They are a nice, light piece. They do have an interesting look about them, don't they? Very slender.

3. Tal/IL

Tal/IL G&G Newbie

Sounds like maybe you are referring to a Hopkins & Allen underhammer. They are made by Deer Creek Products out of Indana. My son (age 10) and I put one together for him last summer, and he killed his first deer with it last fall.

Well, of course I have a pic....

[​IMG]

4. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    That's it! Looks like a proud young man with that deer.

5. Michael M

Michael M G&G Newbie

What a great experience for you both, sharing the creation of the rifle and the results of the hunt. Congatulations to the both of you. I think maybe it is time for another kit project around my house.

6. mjm90675

mjm90675 G&G Newbie

PA
    Congrats to the both of you, that is a really neat project.

7. Jeffro

Jeffro G&G Newbie

Tal/Il,
    Too bad you aren't proud of your son!!!!!! I know how proud you must be of him, and rightly so. Looks like a nice, cleancut young man. That speaks well of him and even better of you. Good luck to both of you. Looks like you have done a great job raising him.
    Happy Trails and safe shootin', Jeffro (Jeff)