Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all!
I asked my son, what kind of gun would be good for having some fun with, cheap to shoot and not really complicated. His reply was the Yugoslavian SKS. So I plan on surprising him with one as well as one for myself.
Having never shot one, what can we expect at the range? What brand of ammo should we start with? The Dragonov stock and compact scope look pretty cool, is this something we should stay away from? Just want something a little better looking than the wooden stock but don't want to go the assault weapon look with folding stock and huge detachable clip. Also, is cosmoline hard to get off an unissued gun? Sorry for all the questions, but this is new to me and this site is awesome. Thanks, mikex2

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,027 Posts
Welcome to the SKS club, and to G&G!
WW covered cleaning pretty well - just be sure to clean the gas tube and piston assembly too.
Any of the available cheap milsurp ammo (Wolf, Russian, Cheetah, etc.) is good for general shooting. For real accuracy, try the Remington commercial 123 grain FMJ load - my Yugo likes it. It's too pricey for lots of blasting though. :cool:
I find that scopes aren't that great on the SKS - I shoot as good a group without one.
The Dragunov stock is a good choice. The longer length of pull is better for most westerners. The folders seem to eventually get loose and floppy - best stay away from them.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
They're addictive, and don't be surprised to find yourself going back to the original stock. Almost everyone does.:nod:

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
The Yugo SKSs have thicker stocks more enjoyable to westerners. Buy one and I don't think any thumbhole will top its comfort.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow! Great replies, Thanks. That's pretty much what I've heard WW about the cosmo, just replace it with elbow grease and lots-o-TLCscrubbing. Was going to go with Wolfe to start with, mainly because of price, but needed some professional advise. Thanks Big Dog. I agree about the folders, although they look good in the movies. Probably just getting anxious wanting to personalize an already good looking, good shooting gun. Thanks Thrawn for the input, will most likely leave it as is for awhile anyway. Hey, Thanks guys for taking the time to respond. mikex2 out.

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
GUNRUNNER said:
Freaking heavy and clumsy...look for a Chi-com SKS with spike bayo....lighter...snappier! :right:
not everyone is blessed with spindley arms Bud :p

take the YUGO out to the picnic table, a couple old towels. take completely apart. lay out the parts on the towel.

pour some gasoline into an empty coffee can, taking stiff brush( trimmed paint brushes are great) scrub the hell out of all the parts until cosmo free. rinse with heavy doses of brake cleaner spray. when all parts are dry, oil 'em up with your favorite stuff.

wash the stock with the gas too, doesn't hurt nothing. set aside for a while to dry.

reassemble, and enjoy!!! :cool:

P.S. do this out side away from the house and garage. and away from sources of ignition!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all who have responded, much appreciated. Just really neat that the received info is technical when need be and funny at the same time. My son and I are the least pretentious people around and we like nothing better than to talk and be around, down-to-earth people like you guys. Thanks alot. Happy Shooting!

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
your welcome, and your WELCOME to G&G!!!

now all this great info comes with a pricetag. and that is to continue posting, many forums here. so join in on what ever floats yer boat. :right: :wave:

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
7mmag6 said:
well I did what doc said on my cosmo of my yugo( you know what that crap is like!!) just orange go-jo Waterless, let it dry , rinsed , hit it with tsp very gently, rinsed, presto-chango beutiful stock, looks like it came right off titos work bench, worked like gang busters, old doc is gan noc number 1
:right:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the info on the cosmo. I've always been a firm believer in listening to the pros/leaders until you can become one yourself. Sounds like no one will ever outdo the stock doc. The neat thing about the stock doc (from reading this forum) is that he passes his knowledge on. What good is it to be really smart if you can't share with others. When I get my Yugo I will definetly follow his lead. Thanks for all the great tips.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
RECAP: My son and daughter-in-law are raising two beautiful little girls so there isn't a lot left over for toys. We got our rifles last Saturday and I'll never forget the look on my son's face when he got his SKS, Choate Dragonov Stock, 500 rounds of Silver Bear Ammo. Stripper Clips, Cleaning Kit, and other goodies. Don't know what was spent for everything but it doesn't matter. I gave him this website and told him how neat it was and how gunsmart you guys are.
Got the cosmo off with little work. Used lacquer thinner and brake cleaner. Took the bayonet off and put the Choate stock on. Very easy! Light coat of oil (except gas piston) and it looks awesome. The wood stock is sitting in the sun covered with oil dry granules and there is still a little cosmo oozing out. Will keep it and goof with the finish later. Man, I can't wait to shoot it! Hopefully he'll get his together so we can go to the range (he's about 300 miles away). Will report the shooting results unless I'm really bad.
Hey, THANKS AGAIN GUYS, really appreciate all your input.

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
yer welcome grandpa :)

as far as range reports, good or bad report how you did.

lots of knowledgible SKS shooters here, they can offer advice on what to do to improve shooting.

·
Registered
372 Posts
The cosmo will be comin out of that stock for a good while there, just be patient with it. there are methods for speeding that process up, but I wouldn't recommend them. They consist of 1)baking the stock in your oven, and 2) putting it through an automated dishwasher. As has been warned by the pros around here though, cosmoline isn't the healthiest of substances, it will stink to high heaven, and run your family out of the house(like when my daddy microwaves his vinegar and tabasco and cayenne peppers) if you put it in the oven, and it will probably leave some nasty residue somewhere in the dishwasher. Also, most auto dishwasher fluid now is chlorine based, instead of the older phosphate based stuff, and it will have the same effects on the wood that bleach does, lightening the grain.

Again, I tell you about those just so you know. Some people swer by those methods, others gnash their teeth at the very mention of them. They're faster than letting it ooze out a layer at a time in the sun, but I recommend you keep going the way you are now. Just make DARN sure that you got as much of the cosmo out of the stock as you can, before you do any touch up work on it, oiling/waxing, refinishing, what have you.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts