close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Soon to come. Jackfruit food review!

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Dragunov, Mar 20, 2017 at 12:37 PM.

1. Dragunov

Dragunov G&G Evangelist

Just bought one from HEB, in Burnet Texas. Considering the scarcity, it was cheap. I picked a small one around six pounds, for eight bucks. Going to let it ripen a bit before eating.

Will report live. [​IMG]

Ten Man and SUBMOA like this.
  2. SUBMOA

SUBMOA G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I had to look it up just to know what it was.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackfruit

Says that it is related to the mulberry and fig .I like both of them. Also says that they can reach 80 lb. Thats a lot of fruit !

3. Interesting! If I ever get lucky enough to find one, I'm going to pick it up and try it.

chesterwin and PAPA G like this.
  4. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

I looked it up, too.

It seems odd that they would choose to grow them in Texas. I didn't see any recipes for chili that called for Jackfruit. LOL

chesterwin, PAPA G and SUBMOA like this.
  5. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

6. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

7. Big Dog

Sounds like an aweful lot of work. I need to taste some before investing that kind of time and effort.

PAPA G likes this.
  8. Since it's normally used in Asian cooking, it's not surprising you haven't heard of it. I'm going to have to hit a couple of Asian markets in the area to see if they've got any. While I'm at it I'll have to look for a few other things. I tend to do more Asian cooking during the summer because it's generally lighter.

9. PaleHawkDown

PaleHawkDown G&G Evangelist

We buy jackfruit and rambutan every time we go to Atlanta to the big Asian market. The jackfruit is a little to sicky-sweet for me but my wife loves it, the rambutan tastes like a cherry mixed with a grape which are two of my favorite fruits.

Wicked109 and ncnascarlady like this.
  10. Big Dog

Right you are, Milady! I am a simply country boy who likes his vittles somple too. Though I do get adventuresome occasionally when eating out. I seldom eat Chinese, but we do have a good one in town, "King Buffet". Who knows, maybe I have tried some unknowing, eating a Chinese dish?
    Need to try the Chinese buffet again, it's been awhile.

PAPA G and ncnascarlady like this.
  11. I'm whatcha call an "adventurous eater". There's not much I won't at least try, especially if the recipe sounds good.

12. PaleHawkDown

PaleHawkDown G&G Evangelist

My wife makes goi mit tom thit, which is a type of fruit salad with finely shredded pork and (usually dried or freshwater) shrimp. You either eat it on poppy or shrimp crackers or with some sort of leafy vegetable like grape leaves, cabbage, betel, or several that I have not yet been able to identify in English. I prefer it with the veggies to the crackers with the exception of the one that looks like overgrown dandelion leaves and tastes like milk of magnesia.

I would highly recommend trying a good recipe for goi mit tom thit.

ncnascarlady likes this.
  13. rando

rando G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Maryland
    I have never heard of Jackfruit growing in the US. I have talked to a few people from the Philippines that have told me about them growing there. They said that the fruit gets large and usually several families share one fruit.

PAPA G likes this.
  14. Wicked109

Wicked109 G&G Evangelist

I've tried it, it's not bad tasting at all, will eat it without hesitation. So, don't be afraid to try it.

blaster and PAPA G like this.
  15. chesterwin

chesterwin G&G Evangelist

16. Big Dog

My late Mom really liked Kiwi fruit. A lot smaller and easier to deal with.
    I see some weird looking fruits and veggies at the grocery store, but not these Jackfruit yet.

17. blaster

blaster G&G Evangelist

aside from eating the pulp off the Jack fruit seeds, you can take the rest of the fruit, shred it up a bit and put bar b q sauce on it and it tastes just like pork bar b q. (sort of) Jack fruit do get huge and are not cheap to buy.

Wicked109 likes this.
  18. Wicked109

Wicked109 G&G Evangelist

One of the Oriental grocery stores carries Jack Fruit and I got a few pounds of it last year and took it to work to let people try. One lady I work with loves it. I'll do it again this year when it comes back in season.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017 at 8:20 PM
    ncnascarlady likes this.
  19. Wicked109

Wicked109 G&G Evangelist

Besides Jack Fruit...
    we've tried Dragon Fruit (tasteless), Ugly Fruit (delicious), Star Fruit (delicious), Mangos & Papayas (delicious - and Papaya seeds are like pepper corns when dried and also taste good when ground like pepper). Tried a few other fruits but can't remember their names. All I know is cherry season will be here soon and I'm looking forward to it.

ncnascarlady and Big Dog like this.