close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Soup Beans and Cornbread

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by PAPA G, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

I occasionally combine my spaghetti sauce with a bit of chili w/beans. Gives it a bit of a kick. :cool:

2. There is absolutely no way on earth I could eat that and not end up suffering the curses of the damned! Now, it's not because I don't like chili or chili peppers. It's because aside from the minor fact all I'd taste is the peppers, it's the damage it'd do to my GI tract and then there's the...umm..."end" result shall we say...

PAPA G and Big Dog like this.

3. Wicked109

Wicked109 G&G Evangelist

:) I'm originally from Santa Fe, NM and it was the military that transplanted me in Ohio. I can eat chili with or without beans, red or green chili, hot or extremely hot, on potatoes and eggs, on most anything if you know what I mean.
    Sometimes I have gone out for breakfast and take a small container with powdered red chili to sprinkle on my eggs. Once I person sitting near me asked if I would be willing to let him try the chili, he loved it - found out he was stationed in Albuquerque. He got to keep the chili.

cjleete, neophyte, PAPA G and 2 others like this.
  4. Wicked109

Wicked109 G&G Evangelist

That's why they make ice cream....hurry up ice cream ;)

Jaison, cjleete, neophyte and 4 others like this.
  5. I'll take your word for it and just skip to the ice cream :)

6. 870shooter1

870shooter1 G&G Evangelist

Tucson
    And this is why it's cooked for 3-4 days.

By letting it cook that long, at low temps, the heat of the chilis is gone and an incredible flavor is left.

Nowhere near as hot as it sounds.

The native people out here are fond of tasting their food, not roasting their mouths.

Ten Man, Wicked109, neophyte and 2 others like this.
  7. PaleHawkDown

PaleHawkDown G&G Evangelist

I have the opposite problem if I don't soak them ahead of time. I usually end up cooking too much because one pound never looks like enough in dried bean form.

8. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Yaaayyyy! my 3rd born daughter made me soup beans! not bad for the 1st time, Pinto beans, Bacon Salt and Pepper and a pot of water! She soaked the beans over night, and her friend told her put it all in a crock pot on low heat for all day. Under cooked, we thinking that the old crock pot is not working right. daughter kicked up the heat for another hour but no improvement.
    Also the cornbread sucked, I forgot the name, but it was one of those add water to the mix powder, and had sugar in it. Gonna have to encourage her to make real cornbread!!!:oops:

Jaison, Wicked109, neophyte and 3 others like this.
  9. More than likely it was Jiffy Mix cornbread. That's the only cornbread I'd ever had before moving south. Call me a heretic if you like but it's still the cornbread I like best. hidebehindsofa.gif

PAPA G likes this.
  10. cjleete

cjleete G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I used to eat pinto beans so often I can go a long time before another bite. I like pasta e fagioli made with kidney beans, red beans & rice I still like, navy bean soup, or chili with black beans & rice. If I'm doing black beans & rice, it's light'em up time.

PAPA G likes this.
  11. cjleete

cjleete G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I also like to put in a little mole asses in my cornbread. Or some can corn and dice jalapenos

PAPA G and Wicked109 like this.
  12. Gun Junkie

Gun Junkie G&G Evangelist

I like to put just a little bit of brown sugar in my cornbread batter.

PAPA G likes this.
  13. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

Lots of ways to cook frijoles. Just make sure they are cooked tender and seasoned with bacon, smoked ham hocks or bbq brisket trimmings.

Now, that ole' corn bread.....cast iron skillet good and hot, seasoned and greased with bacon grease, bacon grease for the oil in the recipe, baked up at 350 degrees to a golden brown........ nice and thick.....ingredients: 2 cups fresh corn meal, 1 cup flour, 1 egg, baking soda, bacon grease, milk or buttermilk to consistency. Some add salt and the city fellars add a little sugar....BAH!

Now, when that is all done ya cut out a wedge of that corn bread, lay it open in two halves. Slather it with butter and let melt. (optional) Then go over to the bean pot and ladel a layer of beans all over that corn bread. Ready for enjoyment! If ya want it sweet......cover with Brer Rabbit black strap molasses!

Wicked109, PAPA G and 870shooter1 like this.
  14. Don't forget the fried taters with your beans and cornbread

Don't have an exact recipe, grandma used the dump method to make corn bread, she dumped all the ingredients in a bowl and mixed it up and made cornbread from scratch. It was always good, I use Jiffy, it's nowhere near as good

PAPA G likes this.
  15. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

My Father made his cornbread in his black cast iron frypan, and we ate it slathered with cane syrup (NOT maple syrup!). The beans, with good country ham cooked in it, was a separate part of the meal.

PAPA G and 870shooter1 like this.
  16. jimb2

jimb2 G&G Enthusiast

Ohio
    I always made my own corn bread. Couldn't stand Jiffy Mix. I do add just a little brown sugar to the CB, Might just have to try some molasses. I always soak the beans over night then cook for at least 12 hours. I add a meaty ham bone IF I have one, otherwise I chunk up a small smoked ham and add that. Next time (which could be tomorrow!) I'll try adding a touch of molasses to the beans too. And maybe a couple shots of good bourbon! One for the pot and the other for me! *LOL*

ncnascarlady and 870shooter1 like this.
  17. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

My daughter used Jiffy with sugar mix...blah! I looked at the box it used "white corn flour". That is not corn bread!!! no yellow corn meal, then it is not corn bread!

Big Dog likes this.
  18. animalspooker

animalspooker G&G Evangelist

SEMO
    Well, don't forget the peppers or pepper relish!

PAPA G likes this.
  19. animalspooker

animalspooker G&G Evangelist

SEMO
    I'm getting gas just thinking about it.

870shooter1 and PAPA G like this.