Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I friend of mine likes to shoot his enfield rifle and asked me if i knew where to get any .303 brit. I checked sgammo and aimsurplus, they used to have all the ammo i was looking for, but no .303 brit.

anyone got any reliable sources?

he says preferable not from Pakistani garbage, i mean ammo dump.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,587 Posts
Surplus is about dried up. Well, the worth a darn type. Privi isn’t bad. I bought dies years ago. Not very useful at the moment.

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow I didnt realize the prices were so high on this ammo. the only real surplus or old miltiary firearm i feed is my mosin nagant, and i can still get that for around $1 around per 20. which is like 3x what it should be but, hey, its not $2-3!

·
Registered
20,057 Posts
Hahaha. When I got into Enfields the guns were cheap, but the ammo was 2 bucks a round, and nearly impossible to find. Then there was another chunk of surplus that came in - really good "Lot 79" and "Lot 80" surplus from South Africa, decent ammo from Hong Kong and Greece, really crap stuff from the Middle East, and dubious mixed-bag stuff from India. Then the fine people of Serbia and Czechia began sending us good commercial ammo that could be had for as little as 70 cents a round.

Right now there are few reliable sources for any ammo, and most of the oddball stuff is practically not being made at all.

Long story short, I don't have an answer to the question, but I do think it is funny that this caliber has gone full circle price-wise twice in the last 30 years.

·
Registered
20,057 Posts
My Ishy Enfield has prettyy much become my go-to bolt gun, but I made it a point to buy 9x18, .303, 7.62 Tok and 8 Steyr ammo at every gun store I passed through. After a couple of decades of this,I'm pretty well set for these.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I killed my first 3 deer with an Enfield I bought when I was about 15. About 10 years later I had it cut to a 19 inch barrel and put Remington front sight on it and a homemade peep on the rear. It was then a Scout Rifle, that was before they called them Scout Rifles. Not very accurate but 3 shots for 3 deer is good enough. I hauled it around the west for a camp/ bear gun for years. I recall when we were young and camped in bear country my dad always wanted to make sure we had at least 3 rounds for the gun. We were poor. We seldom owned more than one full box of ammo.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,587 Posts
I killed my first 3 deer with an Enfield I bought when I was about 15. About 10 years later I had it cut to a 19 inch barrel and put Remington front sight on it and a homemade peep on the rear. It was then a Scout Rifle, that was before they called them Scout Rifles. Not very accurate but 3 shots for 3 deer is good enough. I hauled it around the west for a camp/ bear gun for years. I recall when we were young and camped in bear country my dad always wanted to make sure we had at least 3 rounds for the gun. We were poor. We seldom owned more than one full box of ammo.
I can remember all the ammo in the house fitting in a 5 gallon bucket, and most of that was shotgun shells.

·
Registered
20,057 Posts
We were poor. We seldom owned more than one full box of ammo.
That used to be the way of things. My dad talks about how his dad would send him out with two rounds of .22, and tell him he better bring back two squirrels or rabbits.

There was an old Indian trapper who lived in the woods, and he would pay my dad two rounds each for squirrels, and three for rabbits. Dad would have fun all day, and come home with two critters for the pot.

My dad was more like a crack dealer with me. He would send me out with a whole box of .22s without telling me that the next box was out of my pocket.

·
Premium Member
6,336 Posts
I reform all the .303 Brit I find. I fire the .303 British Brass in the .30-40 Krag. It maintains a better head space.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
I have a cabinet full with Mk IIIs. I shot my first Mk III about 6 months ago.Buddy mailing me 100 rounds of 303 brass, new. I love my Brits. One of my favorite rounds to reload.

·
Registered
393 Posts
The PPU brass is the best which is readily obtainable, if you didn't hoard Norma or HXP during the Reagan years. I am also still l Ioading WRA42 and Rem-UMC brass from WW2 Lend - Lease ammo. Occasionally you may come across WCC 81 to 84 brass from ball ammo which was made by Olin Defense for the Canadian Rangers .

·
Registered
20,057 Posts
The PPU brass is the best which is readily obtainable, if you didn't hoard Norma or HXP during the Reagan years. I am also still l Ioading WRA42 and Rem-UMC brass from WW2 Lend - Lease ammo. Occasionally you may come across WCC 84 brass from ball ammo which was made by Olin Defense for the Canadian Rangers .
Ditto that.

Every once in a while some Lot 80 South African ammo will pop up, too. That stuff is generally considered among the best of the Milsurp ammo (Lot 79 often IS considered the best of the surplus ammo).

You can also, sometimes, find Greek surplus .303. It has gone way up in price the last few years because it is a darling of rich dudes that own full-auto British machine guns. It is slightly hot, but consistent enough to reliably operate in full-auto.

The only surplus I would really warn you away from is any of the 40-to-45 headstamped British ammo, and the Middle Eastern surplus. The Iranian surplus is about the only Middle Eastern ammo in .303 (7.7) I have run across that hasn't gotten a big pressure boost as it has aged, and it is so wildly inconsistent you can best express accuracy of one box in Minute-of-VW-Beetle, while the next box will just about stack out of a good rifle.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts