Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my two Yugo SKS rifles has been giving me some problems.

I believe that I may have solved my prior ejection problem with this particular SKS, by replacing the old gas valve with a new one, but occasionally, somewhere between 30 and 40 rounds on average, the Yugo won't properly feed the next round. It happened again today at the range.

When this occurs, the round seems to be too low to feed properly, and the bullet itself winds up becoming dented and moderately distorted. (The prior expended round was apparently properly ejected).

On other occasions, it may try to feed too far to one side or the other.

Under both scenarios, the only way I remedy the situation is to release the magazine latch, and shake the rifle until the offending round finally drops through.

Other than this annoying problem, the rifle is a lot of fun to shoot, and is reasonably accurate.

Does anyone have any idea as to what might be causing this problem?

My other SKS never fails to feed and fire properly.

Any and all thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks.

LD

·
Registered
9,316 Posts
I assume they have the issue mags. try swapping the mags, if that cures the problem in one rifle and gives it to the other, thats the the easiest way to tell

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yugo Feed Problems

I have two 30-round and two 40-round steel mags, and use them interchangeably in both my rifles.

The two forties both refuse to feed properly when loaded with more than 34 or 35 rounds. If I load them up to the total capacity, I can feel the springs getting very tight.

If you are getting that same problem, but in reverse, you may have a spring that gets too loose as the mag empties......

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They both have the fixed 10 round magazine, and both were supposedly in "Excellent" condition. Certainly some of the parts look brand new, but the stock and the bore are obviously well worn.

When I just visually inspect the magazine, nothing pops out at me as being obviously wrong, but then again, I'm not an expert on SKS mechanics.

LD

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
Yeah, I'd say swap mags would be the easiest way. Hopefully that'll fix it because otherwise I have no idea what could be wrong.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Assuming that the magazine is the problem, I haven't been able to locate available replacement 10 round fixed Yugo SKS magazines anywhere.

Can a Yugo SKS M59/66A1 be modified to accept a detachable magazine? If yes, are there any legal considerations?

LD

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
There is no modification needed to use a detachable mag. You just take the gun out of the stock, remove the old fold down mag, and put the gun back together without it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
yep, no mods needed and I think I read somewhere the D and M models accept AK mags also. If I'm not mistaken all you have to do to remove the fixed mag is remove the trigger assembly and the fixed mag will lift right out. Make sure the saftey is on or you trigger assembly will no eject. Sorry if thats more info than you needed

·
Registered
43 Posts
10-Round SKS mags

Conan:

Go to Gunbroker.com for those mags.

Or, all else failing, I have one that I'll give you if you pay shipping. It worked just fine in my Norinco before I went to the 30 rounders.

·
Registered
306 Posts
conanld, I have to warn you here, I bought a "Made in the USA" detachable 5-round mag, and it had lots of feeding problems! Ask around before you buy an aftermarket detac.-mag. Find out frome someone what brand(s) are good and what are not! I WASTED $25.00 ish on this one. I will post a followup whith the brand I got (and where I got it from) if I can find my old invoice from 11 months ago.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Coyote - Apparently there are several folks like yourself who have had problems with the aftermarket magazines. A few others have not, but yes, I should try to resolve the problem without resorting to after market magazines, if possible.

I won't know until at least next Saturday (when I make it to the range again), if my current "fix" will solve the problem. I'm trying to isolate the problem by switching parts between my good and my "bad" SKS.

LD

·
Registered
306 Posts
OK, I found where I bought my 5-round p.o.j., It came from David's Collectables ( David's Collectibles Home Page) The item # is MAG-ACC-SKS5RDDETST LIST $19.99 + S&H. I had to have a 5-round mag to make it legal to hunt deer here. I wonder if the 5-round zytel (polmer-plastic?) mag works any better. I was orriginaly going to get that one because it was $5.00 cheaper, but I thought to myself " No, get the GOOD metal one!" Oops. Guess I messed up there!

·
Registered
412 Posts
conanld, this could be a problem with the ammo you're shooting. If it's cheap ammo (wolf), it is probably using cheap powder that doesn't burn very well. This would soot up everything in that SKS pretty darn quick. Did you switch to a different brand of ammo about the same time the jamming problem showed up?

·
Registered
209 Posts
i agree with rckymtnboy, wolf is cheap and powder might not burn as well but its one of the best rounds for the SKS. Are you using brass or steel? My SKS jams almost every other shot with brass, the chamber in an sks is NOT designed for brass ammo. Brass expands to quickly and causes cycling issues, which may lead to issues with the ammo inserting into the chamber.

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
I recently bought a 40 rd box on winchester FMJ 7.62x39 and just finished shooting it yesterday(I used it the sight my peep sight in). It didn't jam once. I don't know if there wasn't enough shot out of it to jam or what, but I didn't have any problems. It did smell different though. lol

1 - 20 of 23 Posts