Spandau 1917 Israeli 7.62 oddball?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by roysclockgun, May 4, 2008.

1. roysclockgun

roysclockgun G&G Regular

I have owned a fair number of Israeli marked Mausers, rechambered to 7.62x51NATO, but this is a new one on me. Anyone have any info regarding this rifle: Overall the rifle is a mixmaster that must have begun life as a Gewehr Model 98, made by Spandau in 1917 and so marked. OAL of the rifle is that of the standard K98k. The usual large "7.62" is stamped atop the receiver, as is a small "7.62" on the left side of the barrel root. The butt stock is usual late war type, with take-down hole in the side of the stamped butt plate, but has finger grooves. The sling swivels are nothing new, being the slot cut in the butt stock and a late war barrel band with side swivel slot. The upper barrel band is different, only in that it is the H pattern, but is held in place by a through and through steel pin. The lower barrel band has the spring loaded catch in the stock, but the catch does not reach forward to the front barrel band, as on a K98k. Bayonet lug the usual for the M98. Front sight the usual with hood slot cut. Floor plate, early war, forged. Trigger guard, late war. Bolt body has aftermarket turn down to the handle and bears Imperial markings. Turn down cut out for the bolt is cut into the stock. Bottom of the butt stock, near the toe, has large "7.62" carved in. Eagle/ball/Swastika stamp chisel cut on receiver. A number of Star of David markings on the metal.
    Is this model rare, or just one more hack job, done in post-WWII days?
    Steve A.

2. Sarge

Sarge G&G Enthusiast

Sorry, but Nope, not rare just unusual.
    You can find about anything German as Isreali reworks. I have a Mauser Banner Standard Modell and a G24(t) among my Isrealis.
    The stock is a standard later Isreali replacement stock. The early ones didn't have the finger groves and used the normal WW 2 bbl band/lock bar set up.
    The Isreali sight hood had 2 holes drilled on each side. One was used for a pin that kept the hood from getting knocked off (at the back of the sight). The other was just there - probably done so there was no wrong way to put the hood on and put a pin thru it.
    Sarge

3. roysclockgun

roysclockgun G&G Regular

Okay, thnaks Sarge. That clears up my question. I just had not seen a cut-down Gew98 used by the Israelis.
    The most used has to be the WWII K98k.
    I did have that one made in the 1950s by FN, but that was a new made contract Mauser with the original chambering being 7.62x51mm and not a converted 8x57.

4. Sarge

Sarge G&G Enthusiast

Nope, not originaly in 7.62 Nato. Cal didn't exist when the FNs were made. Those were also converted in the late 50s just like the post war Czechs & WW 2 rifles.
    Sarge