close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Spanish, Chinese speakers to get ballots

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Doglips, Aug 7, 2002.

1. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

Man what a great idea....rathern than makeing countries invade the USA we will simply let them vote themselfs in to positions of power........I guess we need the ACLU to get the Aribic ballots requirements as well.. Osama for senator....campain motto would be "Hay at least Im not a Clinton."

Saturday, August 03, 2002 - 12:00 a.m. Pacific

Spanish, Chinese speakers to get ballots

By The Associated Press

KENNEWICK — When voters in some counties in Washington go to the polls in November, they will be able to request ballots in Spanish and Chinese, as well as English.

Yakima, Franklin and Adams counties are required by law to provide Spanish-language ballots. King County must provide them in Chinese.

The changes are the result of the 2000 census, which showed that at least 5 percent of the voting-age population in those counties spoke those languages.

In late July, the Department of Justice notified local officials they had to satisfy the bilingual provision of the federal Voting Rights Act.

The census found that 25 percent of all citizens in Franklin County reported speaking English "less than very well" on the 2000 census long form. Yakima and Adams counties each had 22.6 percent.

For Franklin County, the requirement to have ballots available in Spanish was not a surprise.

"We knew it was coming," said elections supervisor Diana Garza Killian.

But Franklin County Auditor Zona Lenhart said there is no financial help from the federal government to pay costs of the ballots.

"It's not budgeted for this year," Lenhart said. "It's too new for us to even guess (the costs)."

Lenhart is optimistic the Spanish-language ballots will get more people to vote.

"It will put people at ease, so the voting system is not intimidating but welcoming," she said. "Wouldn't you be drawn to that?"

Providing election information in Spanish is a positive step, said Gabriel Portugal, a Pasco resident and Latino advocate.

"If you are interested in promoting civic education, this is another way to send the message," Portugal said.

Election information in Spanish will "absolutely" attract Latino voters, said Antonio Gonzalez, president of the William Velasquez Institute in Los Angeles.

In states with large populations of Latinos, between 10 percent and 60 percent are foreign-born, an indicator they rely more on Spanish, Gonzalez said. He predicted that 20 percent to 25 percent of ballots cast in Franklin County will be in Spanish.

He said in California, 40 percent of the ballots cast are in Spanish, and in Texas it's 20 percent.

Copyright © 2002 The Seattle Times Company
    :p

2. Why can't these Jackasses learn english!!, and screw all this BS about preserving their culture, there's no reason you can't learn english and still preserve your culture!!!!

-Jesse

3. You speak spanish--no --and I don't speak english either. Now get lost. Don't attempt my language and I won't offend yours.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2002
  4. Hey Gringo you don't like it here there is plenty room in Mexico. Well I am sure there is--since Fox is depleteing his population to the USA.

5. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Some day schools will be tri or quad lingual, english will be a distant memory.