Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,360 Posts
I love mine. Got it from Samco Global in sunny Florida.

·
Banned
1,236 Posts
This read says it all.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Spanish “Guardia Civil” Mauser M1916 (.308 Win)

Kim du Toit
May 30, 2003
12:00 AM

This GGP is dedicated to Rick Lucas, with my apologies.
Shortly after WWII, the arms factory at Oviedo converted a number of the elderly 1916 Mausers from 7x57mm to .308 Win, for use by the Spanish Civil Guard, and fine-looking rifles they are too:

I read somewhere that these rifles were to be treated with circumspection, because the metal of the breech and receiver might not have been able to handle the added pressure of the more-powerful .308 Win cartridge, and I’ve mentioned that little snippet on a couple of occasions on this site.
Well, apparently I wasn’t the only one who thought this, because a bunch of Guardia Mausers were sent to H.P. White, a testing company, and tested to destruction. The SAAMI maximum of 55,000 psi (lbs/sq.in.) for the .308 Win was exceeded—and the rifles were finally destroyed at 98,000 psi!
In other words, I was talking total nonsense, and these rifles are perfectly capable of handling the .308 Win cartridge. My sincerest apologies to all, and to the Guardia Civil Mausers too.
The M1916 is based on the M1893, with a shorter barrel (21") than the older model. Possibly because of the rumors of their weakness, they are selling way below what they are really worth. The typical price is around $130 - $150, which is a steal. So if you see one and need a rifle in the wonderful .308 Win caliber, grab it.
(And everyone should have at least one .308 rifle—it’s possibly the greatest all-round cartridge ever made, and is certainly one of the most accurate cartridges ever made. And, as I’ve said before, everyone should own at least one Mauser, so with the Guardia Civil model, you get a twofer.)

·
Banned
259 Posts
Friend has one. Nice carbines, shoots great, accuracy better than many, fine looking gun. Wouldn't mind having one myself. Getting hard to find, from what I gear.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts