Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stopped by the sporting goods store last night, and they had a Spanish Mauser date stamped 1923 for 99 bucks. The stock had been bubba'd, but it went home with me any way. All numbers matched. Got a box of ammo, and tried her out, shot quite high and to the right. Noticed the stock seemed to be warped and pressing on the left side of the barrel.
All in all it felt good to buy a gun again.:)

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,360 Posts
Is it the earlier 'small ring' Mauser or the M98 'large ring' type? Straight or bent bolt handle?
Got a pic?

·
Master Gunsmith
2,119 Posts
Every spanish mauser i ever saw was a small ring. 7x57 cal or had been converted to .308
steve

·
I can justify anything.
4,879 Posts
Stopped by the sporting goods store last night,
Joe,
What local shop did you find this? Not that I'm going to steal all the cool deals away from the locals, but I'll be up in your neck of the woods come may for the annual outage at the paper mill in May. It'd be nice to do some shopping while I'm there..

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's Mel's Sporting goods on Brown St. downtown. It's a great store. I drove down to Wausau once to buy a sleeping pad and some other gear at Gander Mountain. My brother bought the same crap at Mel's and paid ten bucks less than I did, plus I had to buy the gas for a 120 mile round trip. I've never bought another thing from Gander Mountain. Another shop I stop by sometimes is Hodag Gun and Loan, on Lincoln St. Never bought a gun from them, but I did by a Delta scroll saw for 25 bucks. Never been to it but at the intersection of Highway 8 and Highway 51 about 14 miles west of Rhinelander there's a shop called Statton's General Store, hear they've got some guns. Also on Highway 51 at Merrill on exit 205 there's Cimino's Gun and Archery. They've usually got a selection of Mil Surp. I've never bought anything but reloading supplies from them.
As for stealing deals from the locals, your as good as a local if you're on G&G:)
I actually don't know enough about mausers to know the difference between small ring and large ring, I guess right now would be a good time to learn, eh? It has a turned down bolt, but not enough to clear a scope if it were installed, and no pics. I don't have a camera-- maybe I'll get my sister to lend me hers.

·
Registered
33 Posts
All those places are good to shop at... I use them all.. I will be back in Hodag country in a month or so, in 'Flo-Duh' now, I've had enough of fleas and fire ants...can't wait to see a woodtick again... Bob
P.S... anyone know where I can get a decent 6.5 swede barrel??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts