Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Special Order for Prod. of the M1 Garand

Gentlemen,
This file is an Order from the Sec. of War dated Dec. 16 1938 which is what I call part of Garand-Gate. Read it over and tell me what, when and why this Order is so important and special. Think about it, this is one Order which is against the way the US Govt works. So let me know what you think is going on.

http://www.users.fast.net/~eclancy
http://www.garandm1rifle.com
Hit'em again
Thanks again
Clancy
Looking for Sponsors
NRA Life Endowment
NRA Training Counselor
NRA Instructor
FSS 90% / BW X Speed Div by 1000 = PF

·
Registered
224 Posts
Special Order...

OK, dated December 1938; what was happening at that point vis-a-vis Garand production?
From Hatcher's "The Book of the Garand" , passim:

"...The first actual production...of...Garands began in September 1937, at the rate of 10 rifles per day. This rate was increased to 20 per day on March 1, 1938; to 80 per day on July 1, 1939..."
(page 119)

and:

"...In the early spring of 1938 this retooling effort was started by calling in tooling engineers from all the well known organizations throughout the country, otaining advice and inviting them to bid on lines of machine tools fully equipped and guaranteed to produce designated components at a definite rate." (page 118) (emphasis supplied)

Given production rates, the number of rifles on hand on the given date in December could not have been much greater than around 5000 or so. The memo states in effect, that the need for increased production is urgent. In other words, get moving! (Not a generally-noticable characteristic of the government, unless one allows for "hurry up and wait!")

More important, though, is the directive to ignore the whole put-it-out-to-bid process. Hatcher makes the point that such a process is very time-consuming, and might very well cause production delays.

As a last notion: when did the Federal Fiscal Year end in the late '30's? If on December 31 (which seems reasonable) this directive/memo could be seen as instructions to "allocate the 1938 appropriation before it lapses."

There.

Ben

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gentlemen,
Sorry to say but Ordnance at SA had in Sept. 1937 70 M1 Garand Rifles built.
There are mistakes in some of these books, that's the reason my books are the Orders from Ordnance.
Thanks again
Clancy
ps could use more input about this data

·
Registered
224 Posts
More Production Orders...

Well, OK: 70 built in September, 1937. Hatcher doesn't specify the day in September 1937 that production started. Production surely "ramped up" from there, so I'd say that by December 1938 -- fourteen months later -- 5000 is at least a reasonable guess. (And yes, I am guessing.)
-
Too, the memo is dated December 16, 1938, quoting the Secretary of War's memo of December 9th, again, fully fourteen months after start of production. Still looks to me like a "rocket" -- "Hey! You guys! Get off your duffs and get goin' on production!" If SA had gone out for bid on production machinery in March 1938 per Hatcher, 'tis likely that all M1 production was still being done on in-house-produced equipment in November/December 1938. Thus, a major importance of this memo lies in its short-circuiting of the "normal" bidding/procurement process.
-
Ben

1 - 5 of 5 Posts