Split Brass

Discussion in 'General Reloading' started by Jeep Thing, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Jeep Thing

Jeep Thing G&G Addict

Got 100 pcs. of mixed, once fired range brass for $6.00 from my local gun shop in 270 win.
    All good brass but this one case, it's Winchester brass and I found it in inspection after tumbling.
    A fine example on the importance of constant inspection. What if I missed THIS ?
    How did this happen ? What did this feel like to the guy that fired it ?

Other piece is 454 casull. A shooting buddy had a new to him .454 revolver and some ammo came with the deal. Came over to try it out and in the first 6 this happened but he didn't notice it till it was HARD to eject, Winchester brass also. Notice the mouth is not split. I told him to forget about the rest of that ammo and we'll order all new brass & bullets and start from scratch. New brass will be Starline, I've had good reloading over and over with it in 45LC. When he comes back with the revolver I'll check the chambers dia. and slug the barrel to be sure of things and if something seems odd I'll tell him to take it to my smith. BTW it's one of those S&W-45lc-454-460mag revolvers. I think it needs to be looked at real well before loading for it, remember it's 2ed hand. Could have been just the brass but, safety, safety, safety.

Attached Files:

2. Jeep Thing

Jeep Thing G&G Addict

......... Ah .............

3. kansascoyote

kansascoyote G&G Newbie

Hence the reason I stay away from winchester brass . Those look like pressure cracks to me . In my opinion winnie streachs their brass to thin and I have had several that will crack at the neck when I seat the bullet .

4. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

Just goes to show how important it is to inspect them all !!

5. Tracer

Tracer G&G Aussie Dad

looks to me the 270 is just a bad case and the 454 is doing what they all do after x number of loadings. sometimes 4 sometime 40 depends on the pressure of the load.

6. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Evangelist

Are you sure the brass was once fired? It's hard to tell how many times brass has been fired coming from a range. I have bought range brass and have had them split as well.

7. Browning

Browning G&G Newbie

I had some OLD .243 ammo do the same thing as the .270. when fireing recoil was low and sounded like a slow burn. I pulled the bullets on the rest of them and they had drawn moisture the cases were very coroded inside.

As to the other case, it looks like it has just been overworked. It had its last reloading.

8. M14man

M14man I don't take prisoners... Forum Contributor

As for the rifle case, looks like a crack that will occur with some low quality brass. Yes even Winchester. The shooter probably didn't notice a thing. I have had at least 50 of them over my shooting career. As for the pistol case, looks like it reached it's reloading limit. Those type cracks will occur usually in pistols when the brass has lost all elasticity.

9. 22plinker

22plinker G&G Addict

"Range brass" or "as picked" can have been fired many times. Unless you pick up your own "just fired" brass, you should assume any brass that was randomly picked up at any range, may be unusable for reloading. (I too pick up brass, but always check it over thoroughly) When it is your new brass, "once fired" try re-inserting the fired brass into your gun. If it is tight, sticks, or won't chamber, then it has to be resized. (it does NOT have to be resized, if it chambers in your gun!) Fired from your own gun, you may find, you don't have to resize every time. Each time you resize any brass, you "work harden" it, just a little bit. After so many firings, it will split, thus, the "split brass" in your picture. I am reloading 44 magnum brass, that has been fired many times. (6-10 times, or more) Eventually, they will all split. If "as picked" was fired in a gun that had a lot of wear, the brass may be fireformed to it's "worn out" chamber. You may resize it once, but probably it will split, the next time you fire it. When resizing "as picked" brass, if it is very hard to resize, assume it has been fired more than once! (or fired in a gun with a worn breech) You may only get a couple of reloads, but do, watch for splits, then discard! Good luck!