Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a good piece of land with deer rubs, droppings, tracks, that sort of thing, was wondering how you guys did your preseason walkthroughs. I'd rather do mine with a 20ga in a dry creekbed after treerats, but will that disrupt the daily habits of deer? The most important thing is to harvest Bambi's dad (or thick healthy mom) so the bushytails in that stretch of woods will always wait. I know deer are used to people and their scents, but this is cropland, the only people that they see are in tractors and with birddogs. Will me putting all my stink and (1 or 2) spent shells change any habits? Thnaks for the help

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
It hasn't ever been a problem where I hunt. I have 300 acres to hunt on, normaly by my self and I never really go all over it when I'm squirrel hunting.
I do my search and scouting for Deer signs while squirrel hunting and then I'm right back down there for spring turkey season...I do hunt other places too in So.Ark.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Scouting done 2-3 months ahead of season is not going to be a problem.
You can also de-scent yourself (especially your shoes/boots) wil help.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I don't think the deer where I hunt fear the scent of human. It's the same woods that I play paintball in, and where I take walks regularly. I also have thrown apples in a field by hand before hunting season, and found that the deer eat them.

·
Registered
50 Posts
If the scent of humans kept deer away then I wouldn't see them in my yard all year long. They look at me, I look at them and then they mosey on.

Come huntin' season they disappear for a time. Then I have to go find them. They're smart, but not afraid of humans, but sometimes they out smart us.

If it was real easy, do you think we'd get so much fun out of it?

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
I've never had a problem with it, I hunt on plowed farmland with no tree cover at all so we have to feed to pull the deer onto our property. I'll set up a feeder to get the deer accustomed to food in the area, but when it comes time to hunt, we usually sprinkle a coffee can full of corn on the ground making plenty of noise doing it, then head to the blind, within the hour, the deer will start coming in to investigate and get a bite to eat. The only ones that are wary of this are the big old bucks that need a little more stimulation to jump the fence, they have to be called and\or rattled in, and even that doesn't always work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts