Spotting Scope Assistance...Please

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by LiveToShoot, May 19, 2008.

1. LiveToShoot

LiveToShoot Guest

I'm trying to identify an inexpensive and relatively good quality spotting scope that can be used at the range...

I've been looking at the Baraska Black Hawk 20-60x60 scope and would like to know if anyone owns one?

I've also been looking at the Leupold Wind River, in a 14-45x60 configuration, which costs a bit more.

I don't want to go in debt over this, but I'd like to buy one that'll meet my range needs...clear viewing of targets at 100, 200 and 300 yards.

Thanks...

Last edited: May 19, 2008
  2. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

Spotting Scopes

LiveToShoot: Sir; I too would like additional information on the spotting scopes.
    Having researched; many different times; I still have nothing. Having researched everything from Leupold to Ziess and yet I haven't made heads or tails; of need.
    Did think about Binoculars, and have something multi purpose. Ziess again had the field covered for about $1900.00/WOW.
    Help with reasons for not spending so much. Thanks

3. LiveToShoot

LiveToShoot Guest

Craig,

Thanks for your interest in finding a good quality/economical spotting scope.

Here's some helpful info (OpticsPlanet Binoculars, telescopes, spotting scopes, rifle scopes, night vision, radar guns, microscopes, sunglasses & more) that sheds more light on spotting scopes...but the choice is still to be made for which one will best meet range needs, and not be too expensive.

Spotting Scopes Related Links

4. neophyte

stirred

LiveToShoot: Sir; you done got me stirred up.:nono:
    Going to Celestron C130mm
    Mak Spotting Scope; regular $692.00 now with some special $299.95.

I don't know diddly squat.

This has 130mm objective with a finder scope attached. Has limitations on field of view @1000yds. Outside of that; what do you think.

C-130mm Mak-Spotting Scope #52275 is the model.

5. LiveToShoot

LiveToShoot Guest

6. neophyte

Optic Planet

LiveToShoot: Sir; at "Optic Planet" with reviews.
    Since I read these: I found another review. 'Chap' gave it a 7 out of 10 rating. Seems to have refractive ocular. Seem to lack quality control with different function. Is ?fix-able? by the owner with minimal tool work?
    I did go back to the Zeiss:09::09::09:

7. LiveToShoot

LiveToShoot Guest

Craig...
    I talked with my wife about the Celestron C130 and it's dual purpose use as a spotting scope and telescope. She liked the telescope option...and would enjoy looking at constellations at night. I'm going to do some more research on it.

Zeiss certainly makes a super high quality spotting scope, but they're way out of my budget for spotting scope needs. They're in the same category as Swarovksi...

In a more affordable market, I've read good reports on the Bushnell Legend or Elite, in a 20-60x80 configuration.

My need for a spotting scope is a 1-2 times a month use throughout the year, and its draw on our recreation budget has gotta blend in with other outdoor hobbies/activities.

8. neophyte

Celestron

LiveToShoot: Sir; my sentiments exactly. Should I live away from the city lights Ziess for constellation and walk-abouts.

Given; now; Zeiss is out of the realm of reason.

As ratings go the Swarovski isn't rated as highly as the Zeiss. For fantasy reasons I did much research on those two.:approve:

Maybe we can get others to chime in on this subject. Thanks for updating and I'll continue to ?search?:)

9. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

My spotting scope is Govt Issue from the 40's. My buddy has a Bushnell and it is really crisp and works well past 300m. I recently saw online (maybe Midway) where they were selling spotting scopes that came with a free pair of binos.

10. LiveToShoot

LiveToShoot Guest

SwedeSteve...
    Thanks for your input. Do you know what model of Bushnell your buddy has, to include the zoom magnification and objective lens size?

11. LiveToShoot

LiveToShoot Guest

Last edited: May 21, 2008
  12. Romey

Romey G&G Enthusiast

I personally and a Nikon fan as choice 2 to Swarovski gear. Where youll really see a differance in optics is in low light and or rain/fog conditions. Good optics and i mean real good optics will draw so much light in i have been in near dark where i couldnt see anything with naked eye and could through good optics, same with rain/fog PLUS higher quality optics wont fog up, lesser quality will. The wind river stuff is pretty good but if i where you id go with the Nikon gear for the price range your looking at.

13. LiveToShoot

LiveToShoot Guest

Romey,
    Thanks for the plus one on a Nikon spotting scope...

14. Romey

Romey G&G Enthusiast

Your very welcome hope it helps

15. Wingwiper

Wingwiper Guest

Here is a Website you can go to. The fellas that own Champion's Choice are very accomplished shooters and have equipment that is good.

I would recommend spending a little more on optics. I borrowed some cheap optics once and it was in a warm shooting bag and when I pulled it out and mounted it, it was all fogged up inside (early morning and cool). We moved to about 3 different yard lines before the scope was even usable and even then was not crisp and clear..

Welcome to Champion's Choice

Last edited: May 22, 2008
  16. neophyte

Spotting Scope

Folks; since the "LiveToShoot" brought up this subject; I have researched my behind off.
    Found a perfect 'Celestral'; found a review page. 'Celestral' in the can.\
    Found a perfect "Burris'' 20x60 more research: in the can
    Found another perfect "Burris"; in the can.

Now I have the perfect? ''Meade 15x-45x Kestrel 60mm Waterproof with bells and whistles.
    List for $399.00 @ Optics Planet $149.95 includes shipping.

What do you think?
    I don't know squat about Optics except what I have been reading. Those of you that have experiences; sound off please

Thanks in advance.

17. LiveToShoot

LiveToShoot Guest

Wingwiper,

Thanks for the info on spotting scopes at Champion's Choice...

Craig,

I checked out the Mead scope at Optics Planet...and will look for some user reviews on it.

18. neophyte

Romey: Wingwiper: Fellows; Somehow I missed both of your reports.dadgumit.
    Romey what model seems in line.

Wingwiper: Sir; it'll be this weekend before I get a chance to research you findings.

Thanks to all 3 of you. Craig

19. Ron AKA

Ron AKA Guest

Sometimes there is an option to put your $$'s into the gun scope and see the bullet holes quite clearly with it. The advantage of course is that it improves the odds that you will see the holes where you want them to be :).

Last edited: May 22, 2008
  20. LiveToShoot

LiveToShoot Guest

Ron,

Most of the time I'll be shooting at 100 yards, and occasionally at 200 yards. When those distances work out well for accuracy, I'd like to shoot at 300 yards.

On the rifle that I'll shoot the most, and others a friend will shoot, there is a Leupold VX-II 4-12x40 scope atop.