Gun and Game Forum banner

Which do you prefer and why?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you have a preference? Any reason why? For some reason I tend to like the 1917s better. Not just appearance, but also that they were probably the more common rifle used in WWI as opposed to the more popularized 1903 used since then that hadn't hit sufficient production to supply the US army on its own.

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
i like them both.

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
I like the 03 for both historical and physical reasons. But again...I haven't shot the 1917. That must be a fine gun, too. For sure, having used my 03A3 for deer hunting I can verify that it's an effective tool. :nod: :right:

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
My preference is always what I have available. Just gotta make that one shot in the right spot and they all work. :nod:

·
Registered
886 Posts
I have a full set of both the 1903/A3 and the M1917 (I even have a P-14) and I really like them, ALL. Of course the M1917, and P-14 suffer from the need to use "Kentucky Windage" if you are needing to move your hits left or right.

The first centerfire rifle I ever shot was the $15.95 M1917 Remington including 5,000 rounds of AP, that my dad bought right at the end of WWII. It knocked me around, but didn't scare me. My mom remembered that my dad bought it for about $15.00 in early 1946, and sold it for $15.00 in 1976, I had no idea the rifle was for sale, or it would have been mine, and my mom would have had a lot more than $15.00!

·
Registered
155 Posts
i wonder if those who voted for the '03 for historical reasons know that the 17 was used far more during the war than any other rifle..i vote physical because of that darn windage

1 - 10 of 10 Posts