Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellas and ladies,

This is my first time on this site, I just got activated.

The before I came back to school (Wabash College), I went out and purchased a NIB 1911 A-1 GI .45 from Springfield Armory. I so can't wait to go back home to Texas and get to the range. I count the days. I noticed that someone posted saying something about the Llama .45 ACP, I have recently fired one of these "so-called" 1911 clones and I can safely say that I absolutely hated that weapon. My main gripe is predominately with the magazine, it seemed that the .45 ACP was almost to big for the magazine itself. Another, and perhaps the biggest, was the fact that when I hit the slide release a couple of times the slide didn't go all the way foward. Can someone tell me if this is common on only Llama's or if this happens to all 1911 clone pistols?

Also what do you recomend, if any, in terms of tactical thigh rigs for my 1911?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I owned a LLLLLLLama many moons ago . 1911 style but n 9MM . Beautiful on the outside but it only skin deep . I count not fire 3 rounds in a row because of stovepiping or mag related jams . Or a case stuck in the chamber . But it was cheap. you get what you pay for . A friend around the same time (mid 80's) had a 45 cal with no problems that I heard of .

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,354 Posts
My shooting buddy tried two .45ACP Llamas some years back, and had serious FTE and feeding problems with both - new pistols too, not used!
He now owns a very good Springfield.
A local gunsmith told us that Llamas were infamous for these problems, and he knew how to fix them - but why should a new-production pistol have to be 'fixed' in order to function? Best to go elsewhere.

That Springfield will serve you well - you'll love it! :)

·
Registered
654 Posts
My Llama Rocks

13 down and 1 up.
did have the ejection port fixed, new trigger and springs, hammer, match barrel, ramp polished, beavertail, teflon coating. cash involved so far $350

I've also got a Springfield 1911-A1 (I'll post pics soon) It cost $450
Has hammer, trigger, beavertail, sights done.

Both are nice but the Llama really shines...did I mention 13 down and one in the pipe
14 rounds of .45acp

http://groups.msn.com/NorthAmericanGunrunners/grizstash.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=813

·
Registered
372 Posts
My dad used to have a 1911 framed 9mm Llama with an extra long barrel and slide, and that thing shot like a rifle, I tell you what.

He never had any problems with it, and always regretted getting rid of it. But then this was 15-20 years ago.

It was a hell of a lot nicer pistol than the little colt .380 auto that he got after.

·
PUKHA DAWG
3,799 Posts
Hello Rodneyk welcome to the board. Dive right in, the water is fine.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
spend your money on ammo. i highly recommend staying away from any product with the word tactical in it, as 90% of it is garbage.

·
Registered
354 Posts
One of my best friend's had a Llama .45 back in college. He tells me that it never gave him any problems, although he was only an occasional shooter. The only thing he did not like about it was the lack of parts interchangeability with true 1911's. The way he approached it was he had a .45 that looked like a 1911 which he enjoyed shooting and could afford.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts