Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think of the M1 Garand from Springfield Armory.
I'm thinking about buying one.
Joe-R
:feedback:

·
I don't take prisoners...
3,885 Posts
Overpriced, and even though new, usually a second choice to a GI Garand. They are made well, are good shooters, but usually are in little demand for those that want military guns.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Springfield Armory, Inc. M1

Joe,

Don't own one myself, but Ron, a fellow club member, bought one some years ago. It's a pretty rifle, no doubt.

It took, however, three trips back to SA, Inc. to get it to function reliably with USGI M2 Ball from CMP. If I recall correctly, Ron's rifle was mistimed and was a bear to load. Then it spit partial clips -- shoot four or five, and the remaining rounds were ejected. I don't recall what the other problem was, but I do remember Ron getting a bit... um... irked 'bout the whole situation.

This is not what one would expect from a $1500 (+) rifle, is it?

In contrast, both of my own M1's -- a vintage-1953 H&R, and a ca. 1943 USGI SA "woodless Dane" return have been as reliable as the sunrise.

Truth be told, you'd be much better off with a rifle from the CMP. (My opinion only, please note!)

HTH

Ben Hartley

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
Another vote for the CMP rifles. Can't go wrong with those, and the price is great.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Ditto what those guys said. Go with CMP. I also heard that the CMP North Srore has the latest "special" grade for only $895.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I have several Springfield rifles. They are good rifles, but cannot compete with the CMP guns on price. Ditto on the CMP specials.

You can buy the lowest grade CMP gun and build it into a match-quality rifle that will out-shoot any Springfield, and still have less money in it.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
CMP's "special" grade Garand has new wood commercial barrel. Kinda like what you are looking at but cheaper, and with a real USGI reciever not a commercial reciever.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok I can get a new in box Springfield Aromory Garand for $850.00. But how is the qualty of the Springfield Armory Inc. M1 rifles. Compared to a GI M1.
Joe-R

·
Registered
224 Posts
CMP M1 or Sprgfld Inc. M1?

Joe --

Functionally -- assuming that both are working properly -- there is no difference between the USGI M1 and its latter-day commercial copy. That said, please consider:

1. USGI receivers are forged; SA, Inc. receivers are cast. There is nothing inherently wrong with cast receivers, of course; Bill Ruger proved that. There have been allegations that some of the cast M1 receivers are not "to dimensional spec," have casting defects, and the like. Can you recognize those problem areas, should they be present. (Yes, the fella in the gun shop should know, but he most likely doesn't. Sorry to disillusion everyone!)

2. There is a potential problem in the production process. USGI rifles were produced to a standard; commercial rifles, to a price. Where were the shortcuts taken; what corners, cut? Can you tell?

3. Latter-day commercial M1s will generally have a (possibly) questionable mixture of USGI, foreign manufacture, and repro parts. This may be the source of my friend Ron's frustrations with his "new" M1.

4. There are advantages to be had, however, with the "new" SA, Inc. rifle.
4a. It's probably prettier than a CMP M1. You'll not need to do a lot of "finishing work" to make it look good.

4b. SA, Inc. does advertise a lifetime guarantee. (To be fair, CMP will generally make something right, but whether it's "forever" or not, I don't know.)
Ultimately, Joe, you'll have to make your own decision. Most of us afflicted with "Garanditis" will opt for the USGI/CMP rifle, as you've not doubt noted.

And that's probably no help, whatsoever. Were I you, in your situation, I'd find somebody locally who is M1 knowledgeable, and ask him (or her -- there are a lot of "Lady Garand Shooters" out there!) to give you some hands-on, on-site advice.

Ben Hartley

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank You Ben H for your input, I will see if I can find some to take a look at Rifle I have in mind.
Alot of the deal is I can have the Springfield Inc. Rifle in a very short time. I am not looking for min. of angle accuracy just a good shooter.
Again thanks evreyone for the input.
Joe-R
PS I may end up with both

·
Registered
224 Posts
New Case of Garanditis?

PS I may end up with both
Careful, Joe! This disease is contagious!

(Chuckle)

Some places one might find other M1 shooters:
1. Local shooting range (contact sporting goods shop, local recreation department, or even the local police);

2. Veterans' organizations of one sort or another... VFW, AL come to mind, although most vets who carried the Garand in combat are getting pretty long in the tooth;

3. Local Army Reserve or National Guard unit.
HTH

OK, OK, I'm being a pest! Here's the pricing for Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) M1's from the CMP website, November 19th.

MI GARAND
ITEM # DESCRIPTION PRICE Comments

RM1SAR
M1 Garand, Springfield Armory, Rack Grade $445.00 Please allow 30-45 days for delivery.

RM1SAF
M1 Garand, Springfield Armory, Field Grade $495.00 Please allow 60-90 days for delivery.

RM1SAS M1 Garand, Springfield Armory, Service Grade $595.00 Please allow 60-90 days for delivery.

RM1SACR M1 Garand, Springfield Armory, Correct Grade. Only available in serial # ranges between 5.4 and 5.8 million. $950.00 Please allow 30-45 days for delivery.

The website address is:

CMP Home

...to obtain information on qualification to purchase. (You do not have to be involved in competitive marksmanship activities, contrary to common belief.)

Supplies of M1 rifles seem to fluctuate, so I'd suggest getting your order and supporting paperwork in Real Soon Now so as to avoid disappointment. My recommendation: go the $595 for the Service Grade.

It should also be noted that CMP is probably the least expensive source for true M1-compatible M2 ball ammo. (Commercial .30-'06 isn't, as a general rule, but that's 'nother whole bucket of snakes.)

Give me a shout at bwhartley(at)verizon(dot)net if you'd like me to expound further.

Ben Hartley

1 - 14 of 14 Posts