Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a new bolt body from Non-Dealer Items
(2nd item down) It says it is for a
Original U.S. M1903 and I have a sporterized 1903 Mark I. I just want to make sure that this is going to fit and if so will it be difficult to switch out the parts I need from the old bolt? thanks

·
Registered
741 Posts
The bolt will fit in the action.

Changing the parts is not difficult, but you may need a set of extractor pliers to make changing the extractor easier. I have never changed a Springfield extractor, but it can't be much different from a 98, and the pliers sure help. Any gunsmith has one.

Do you know how to remove the bolt shroud and firing pin? Not difficult. Lots of info on the web if you don't.

If your sporterized rifle has a bent or replaced bolt handle, you may have to give the new bolt the same treatment to avoid interference with the scope (if you have one.)

You should have a gunsmith check the headspace with the new bolt before you fire the rifle.

Why are you changing the bolt?

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Checking head space is a MUST, the rifle could explode if you have the incorrect head space. Actually, the brass case ruptures and your face is exposed to 50,000+ psi of hot gas and small flying parts. It could ruin your day.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, I will have it checked out before i fire it. I am changing the bolt body because when I got the gun it was in basically in perfect condition except for the bolt handle which had a small crack where it bent to go into the bolt body. So I had this crack welded and then had to file down the handle to smooth it out again, so the bold handle doesn't match the rest of the gun and for only 13 dollars i figured I would try to fix that. Just out of curiosity does anoyone know how much these things are worth sporterized? As you can see it has a sporter stock and is drilled and tapped with some old weaver rings and scope from the 50's. I was told by a gunsmith that whoever did it did a really good job and its too bad I don't know who. Also the front sight is a dandy or something like that. I know the collectors value is basically gone due to it being sporterized but other then that the metal and bore and the whole gun are in perfect conditon.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I have bought a couple recently, with scopes attached, for around $200. They make good shooters.

I can't see your picture, but if the rifle will be used with a scope, there is more to do than swapping the parts on the bolt. Your $13 investment may grow.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have bought a couple recently, with scopes attached, for around $200. They make good shooters.

I can't see your picture, but if the rifle will be used with a scope, there is more to do than swapping the parts on the bolt. Your $13 investment may grow.
could you elaborate on this a little more please

·
Registered
741 Posts
Read my original post.

You will probably have to have the new bolt altered to clear a scope. Compare the handles on the two bolts to see what I mean.

You should have the headspace on the new bolt checked, preferably before you mount the extractor. If you can't do this, you will need the services of a gunsmith. This will not cost much, but it will cost something.

Does this answer your question?

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
I agree with RFC357.It seems like it would have been easier to fit the old bolt handle. sam.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
oh ok so ill need a gunsmith to check the head space out and make sure the gun is safe to shoot and most likely I will have to have the bolt handle altered as well for clearance of the scope. I'm assuming the gun smith can fix the bolt handle as well. Any rough estimates as to how much this will all cost?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks. Heres a better picture so you can see why I would want to replace the bolt body. Or does anyone have any other ideas how I can clean it up and make it match?

·
Registered
741 Posts
You could polish it and blue it. That would hide any minor imperfections. If you are careful, cold bluing works OK. It makes a nice little project, and it's not difficult. Any book on hobby gunsmithing will tell you how to do it.

Is that scope offset a little to the left, or is it just the perspective of the picture? Looks like an old side mount and a Weaver scope. The cat's meow circa 1957. Not a bad rig to this day.

One of the sporterized '03s I bought recently had a nice old Weaver, but it was bashed and went to the scrap heap. Did help me negotiate a better price on the rifle. It's a WWII Remington, an '03 not an A3, with the original barrel (or at least one with the right date) and shoots very well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts