Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been watching GunBroker lately and they have several listings for Springfield M1 Carbines. I wasn't aware that Springfield made M1 carbines.

·
Banned
1,236 Posts
Winchester engineered the M1 Carbine,with many subcontractors to keep up with Wartime demand,but I never heard of Springfield being one of them.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
June issue of the American Rifleman (NRA) has an article about the M1
30-cal carbine.
Makes for a good read as it contains lots of facts.

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
Springfield Armory made some M1 Carbine Receivers and assembled the rifles from US G.I. parts some years back. They have no collecter value as yet and my book prices them at 250.00 to 375.00 for a Mint 100% Specimen... The Starting bid at 675.00 on Gunbroker is way out of line(Hence NO Bids) since you can get a US G.I. Inland Carbine for 495.00 from the CMP !
Rich

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Mooseman et all! The CMP guns look pretty marginal(...in my humble opinion) and I was holding out for a specific manufacturer. They are not selling anything, but the Inland until September. I wasn't interested in the Springfield Carbine; I had just never heard of one either. I was just watching the auction sites to see what kind of prices the Carbines are fetching.

Well, I was going to save the news until it arrived, but I just bought an IBM manufactured M1 Carbine. I paid too much, but I got exactly what I wanted(...I hope!). I've been programming IBM computers for 25 years. I've been wanting one for a while. If it is close to 'as advertised', it'll be the crown jewel of my WWII collection which is a modest-budget collection of shooters.

I'll post more next week.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
CMP carbines marginal? Ha . I would say you have never dealt with CMP before. I have bought 11 rifles from them and even the Rack Grade Garands that I had picked were much. much better than marginal. The carbines are Service Grade and are very nice. If you are saying marginal from the pictures on the sales page of the carbines those are all covered in preservative. Thats OK leaves pleanty for the rest of us.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry!!! I didn't mean to offend, Orlando. It was just my opinion.

I'm well aware of the CMP's good reputation. I own a service grade CMP Garand of which I'm very proud. But you're right, the pictures and descriptions I've seen just didn't really impress me. And the fact that I couldn't get anything but Inland until September was a deal breaker.

·
Registered
8,553 Posts
And the fact that I couldn't get anything but Inland until September was a deal breaker.
Where did you come up with this?
I just checked the CMP site and they have Inland, Winchester, Underwood, Quality Hardware, Saginaw, National Postal Meter, and Standard Products available for order.
The last three (rack) carbines I've received from CMP are much better than the description they give.

·
Registered
8,553 Posts
Oops, we've been dupped...this thread was started 3 years ago.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts