Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I went today I purchased an OD green and black, Springfield Armory XD-40 5'' tactical model. I had originally went to purchase the black and stainless 4'' until I held the Tactical 5". The gun is primarily a truck gun, maybe slid into the waist for a few minutes here and there it will now be a full time conceal because it is to large.
On to the Range:

I left the gun store and went straight to the range after buying ammunition. 100 Rounds WWB. 50 Rounds CCI Blazer. 50 Rounds Wolf. 20 Rounds Remington Bonded Golden Sabers.

The gun is flawless. Everything Is very tight like it should be on a new gun. The polymer makes the gun very light and the 5'' model is a little muzzle heavy but only due to the plastic handle. The gun will shoot as well as you can hold it. I shot about 100 rounds of various named rounds, to include mixing rounds into the magazine. She never thought about having a problem. Ate everything and kept asking for more.

The gun does throw the empties to get them out of the gun. I think that is why there are so few problems with failure to extract with springfield guns because they get rid of the spent casing in a hurry*maybe let the guy next to you at the range know*

The recoil of the 40 on the 5'' Is snappy, It doesn't want to jump out of your hand like a 10mm or anything but you can tell you fire something with some balls. The recoil I would think would be VERY manageable with good shooting habits and getting use to the gun. The trigger has a big of creep due to the safety that was probably the biggest learning curve of the gun. I would explain it a lot like a Sig trigger.

Overall my initial thoughts on the gun are nothing but good. Took it apart, It is very easy to do cleaned it and have it back in the box.

The only problem I had and this is dealer not gun. They gave me one 9mm mag and a 40 cal mag. My fault for not checking though. So i have to drive 59 miles back to the dealer to get it replaced. All and all, I would recommend the XD-40 or any in the XD line to both novice and seasoned shooters alike.

Hope that helps anyone that is interested in the Xd series and if you have any question please feel free to ask I will answer as best I can.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
You did good feller and you'll continue to love the caliber too ! 40 SW is one of the greastest calibers to come along. Weve got 2 Glocks in the house that use 40 SW and I like the caliber...A.H

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
This is a great overview of the Springfield XD40. I love my XD9mm, and I am glad that you picked up the one you did.

We just need a few pictures of you and your new baby :)

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I'll see what I can do about some pictures. I put a couple hundred more rounds threw her today, ate everything. The gun shoots like a dream, my only problem is I'm choking her and pulling left. Wonderful groups, just gotta ease up.

AND I got to destroy the ballistics gel I made! All I can say is those Remington bonded golden sabers are one hell of a round. 6 inches of Ballistics gel and 5 phone books are not a challenge for a .40 cal Golden saber bonded. I got Pics of that too.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc285/Rustclan/IMAGE_00002.jpg

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc285/Rustclan/IMAGE_00001.jpg

Camera Phone But it gives you the gist. 5'' Tactical green and black with my SOG seal pup.

FMJ , and two bonded golden sabers. The golden sabers only lost about 9 grams of mass after full expansion. The Full metal jacket looks good enough to be reloaded.
Again kinda ugly pictures but you get the idea.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc285/Rustclan/IMAGE_00003.jpg

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yeah its actually pretty surprising what a .40 will go through i was shooting at a old snow shovel once and some shots went through where the handle was connected to the shovel i would describe it as 1/8" steel on one side then 2" of wood then another 1/8" steel plate on the back side, and it went RIGHT THROUGH!!! I love this caliber. Im about to start another thread about some upgrades to my XD check it out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
OMG!!! I absloutely love this caliber & gun! I'll never forget the first time I shot it. I thought that I had died & gone to heaven when I blew up the milk jugs filled with water! I know that I put at least 100-150 rounds that first time out with it. I also got lucky too. Since I'm a lefty,I called Springfield up & asked about a left handed XD holster(since mine came with one).They had one in a paddle style & sent it to me for free.

·
Registered
362 Posts
love mine, though I did have the top end chrome moly coated, little more durable , though this was just for the fun of it. shoots great and yes the trigger take a little getting used to.

·
Devil's Advocate >:)
7,445 Posts
I'm looking into getting a 9mm XD soon if I can find one at a price I like. Doesn't necessarily have to be new either.

·
Registered
6 Posts
What is your opinion about the 40 vs. the 45? I am considering the XD and have looked at both guns. I primarly carry when hunting for those pesky coyotes and hogs. I will also use it as a self defense option. I currently carry a 9mm PT92.

·
Registered
21 Posts
cant go wrong with the xd40. a friend lets me shoot his all the time. we use cheap blasting ammo and have no problems. ive put about 200ish rounds through it and he puts over a 1000 a year through it and hasnt had a problem with it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Count me also as a HUGE fan of the XD line. I at present own two. A 3' XD40 SC HC in two tone Black/OD and a 5" tacticle in 45acp in two tone Stainless/Black.

I resurched the living h#ll out of these two purchases. And after reading so meny steller reviews of various XDs at "Gun Tests" magizine where I am a subcriber, I had to give them serious considerstion.

I originally started wanting to get rid of my S&W 645 and at first I wanted to replace it with a 1911 type 45. But the more I looked, the more obvious it became to me that for anything beyond the most basic of 1911s by well establised gun makers like Sig, S&W, Kimber, Parra ORD all known to make high quality semi-autos, including Springfield I was going to have to spend at a minimum $800 to over $1000. Then along came the "5" Tacticle XD45".

The fact that acording to "GT" mag the 5" XD tacticle was in their expert opinion on parr with autos costing anywhere from 1/2 to 2x as much I was having quite a hard time not buying one. After I handeled several alot over a period of weeks, and the fact my local gun shop would let me out the door for a two tone matt stainless slide W/Black frame for $614 W/tax and gave me $300 for my S&W 645 as a trade inn sold me on the spot.

I simply cannot be more pleased with both of the XDs I own. My only cause for pause with my purchase was the local Cabelas by my home had the "Compact "4 XD and "Compact "5 XD on sale. $526 for the "4 in SST/Black and $526 for the "5 in Black on Black. But I SIMPLY HAD TO HAVE the "5 Tacticle in SST/Black.

In any event I do not see how anyone can not agree that FOR THE MONEY the XD line of polymer framed semi-autos are among the best available.

BTW, the combined cost of both my 3" XD40 SC HC and my 5" tacticle XD45 W/tax was $1003 about the cost of a good, but not great 1911.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well I went today I purchased an OD green and black, Springfield Armory XD-40 5'' tactical model. I had originally went to purchase the black and stainless 4'' until I held the Tactical 5". The gun is primarily a truck gun, maybe slid into the waist for a few minutes here and there it will now be a full time conceal because it is to large.
On to the Range:

I left the gun store and went straight to the range after buying ammunition. 100 Rounds WWB. 50 Rounds CCI Blazer. 50 Rounds Wolf. 20 Rounds Remington Bonded Golden Sabers.

The gun is flawless. Everything Is very tight like it should be on a new gun. The polymer makes the gun very light and the 5'' model is a little muzzle heavy but only due to the plastic handle. The gun will shoot as well as you can hold it. I shot about 100 rounds of various named rounds, to include mixing rounds into the magazine. She never thought about having a problem. Ate everything and kept asking for more.

The gun does throw the empties to get them out of the gun. I think that is why there are so few problems with failure to extract with springfield guns because they get rid of the spent casing in a hurry*maybe let the guy next to you at the range know*

The recoil of the 40 on the 5'' Is snappy, It doesn't want to jump out of your hand like a 10mm or anything but you can tell you fire something with some balls. The recoil I would think would be VERY manageable with good shooting habits and getting use to the gun. The trigger has a big of creep due to the safety that was probably the biggest learning curve of the gun. I would explain it a lot like a Sig trigger.

Overall my initial thoughts on the gun are nothing but good. Took it apart, It is very easy to do cleaned it and have it back in the box.

The only problem I had and this is dealer not gun. They gave me one 9mm mag and a 40 cal mag. My fault for not checking though. So i have to drive 59 miles back to the dealer to get it replaced. All and all, I would recommend the XD-40 or any in the XD line to both novice and seasoned shooters alike.

Hope that helps anyone that is interested in the Xd series and if you have any question please feel free to ask I will answer as best I can.
SilentSoul,

I just purchased the xd 9mm 4 inch and I love everything about the gun. Have to admit that the safeties are a challenge for me. Never shot a gun with a grip safety before and I am having an adjustment period with that. I do have ejection jams but I am the only one who does, have tried several ammos and several people so I know its something to do with mr grip. I shoot left handed and that is when I have the most problems. Tried shooting right handed and it only happened once out of several clips, so I've narrowed down the problem and am working on the issue. I've shot and handled several 9mm guns and I have to say this one is the best

·
Registered
1 Posts
i've recently started having problems with my springfield xd .40 (4 inch). the slide is not locking back on an empty mag. i've been firing speerman lawman 180 grain tmj ammo. any suggestions/explanations?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts