Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI I am looking at the springfield xd in either the sub compact with 3 inch burrel or the service 4 inch. this is for ccw and the sub is 6.25 inches long and the service is 7.3 inches long. probably should go with the sub compact. I have been looking at xd and M&p by smith for a long time but I really like the extra safties on the xd I am new to pistols so I guess I want the extra safties because I am new to pistols. I was going to get the 40 s&w because I have heard so much about this caliber, but I have been researching and I have found that if you use a good sd ammo the numbers are almost the same for 40 and 9mm and I know the 9mm is much milder to shoot especially in a small gun. I seen in an article where federal hydrashok in 9mm+p+ has the exact same numbers for stopping power as the 40s&w and almost very very close to 45acp.and in pederal pda and remington golden saber the numbers are better in 9mm than 40s&w. Being that shot placement is the most important factor and the fact that if I use on of these ammos i stated I will not be giving up much in power and for practice the 9mm is much cheaper to practice with and my shot placement will be much better because of less felt recoil. If I am wrong please let me know.

·
Registered
26 Posts
As far as I'm concerned with the ammo, you're pretty much right. A lot of people refuse to carry any caliber that doesn't start with a .4 or higher. 9 has virtually the same ballistics as a .40 and in most states you get higher ammo capacity with the 9. I guess it's all personal preference though when it comes down to it. Every now and then I hear people complaining about the poor stopping power of the 9 overseas. Understand that the military uses ball ammo due to international law, not the premium self defense ammo available to the civilian market. Don't own an XD so can't help you on which to buy. I'm a skinny guy and I carry a full size 1911A1 .45 or Sig 226R 9mm with no problems concealing either. I hear a lot of good things though about the XD in both calibers. Good luck in whichever you choose.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I own and carry the service model XD45. It conceals really nice especially with the holster it comes with. Also with the holster that comes stock with the gun makes it really comfortable to carry to the point you could actually forget you are carring the weapon. It works with everthing from tee shirts to heavy coats. The stock holster is the only thing that I have found works and hugs tight to your body. But that is only one opinion and you know what they say about opinions.

After thought I really like and use the 185gr. JHP/XTP as standard ccw ammo, but even the 200gr. JHP/ XTP is a good choice. I like the fact when you hit your target that target nevers get backup and is no longer a threat. One shot one kill ultimate stopping power.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts