close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Squib load with Norinco SKS with TulAmmo

Discussion in 'SKS' started by Tack Driver, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Tack Driver

Tack Driver G&G Evangelist

There's a decent sized snowstorm bearing down on North Carolina and much of the Southeast so I wanted to do some shooting today before the weather got really bad. Kind of cold at 24 degrees but at least the snow hadn't started falling yet.

I go out to the farm and setup targets and get ready to shoot, brought my SKS, m44 carbine, and my dad's Remington 1100 12ga for skeet shooting.
    My friend takes a few shots with his '51 Tula SKS and as he's reloading I chamber a round in my Norinco SKS and get ready to put a shot on my steel plate.... CLICK. I just sit there for about 30 seconds letting it cook off thinking that it's a hang fire like I had happen about 2 months ago. Well then I pull the bolt back and the only thing that ejects is an empty 7.62x39 casing (didn't notice that at the time). The bolt goes forward and loads a fresh round into the chamber. I knew something wasn't right so I unload the rifle and look at the chamber, as I tilt the gun up to look at the chamber a bunch of unburned powder falls out of the chamber and onto my hand. Then I slip a cleaning rod in the barrel and realize a bullet is in there. Sure am glad I didn't shoot that 2nd round! I tapped it out with a cleaning rod. The primer went off (powder didn't ignite) and it just barely pushed the bullet into the rifling... Just enough to allow another round to fit in the chamber.

Just goes to show safety always comes first and you have to really be paying attention any time you are firing any gun. Ammo was 122gr FMJ Tula 7.62x39

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  2. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

That happened to my milled AK 3-4 years ago at my sportsman's club.

Knocked it out with a wooden dowel from the range tool shed.

Luckily someone was there...had only been there an hour and would of ruined my day of AK shooting even though I had other rifles with me...its not a day at the range without putting at least 500 rds through the AK.

Funny thing was, It happened while someone else was shooting it...never happened before or since.

Kind of a wimpy guy about 5'4 and maybe 100 lbs soaking wet.
    He was there with a Discovery air rifle and was complaining he had a bad shoulder.

I let him try it...he picked it up like it was covered in crap and after the first round is when it happened....2nd round would not chamber.

Is it possible to limp wrist an AK?

3. My fiance recently had a similar situation, only hers was with handloads and her Walther PK380. Unfortunately hers didn't have quite the happy ending, as we now have to replace the barrel of her baby. It wasn't as bad as it could have been and the person who loaded the ammo has agreed to pay for the barrel as well as replace the ammo. Still the event gave us pause, and drove home all my past fireas safety lectures.

4. Tack Driver

Can y'all believe this was my first round of the day though? Talk about a great way to start a range session lol And I'm very sorry about that Lobo. Was she injured at all? At least it was a .380 and not a high powered rifle round

Sucks to blow up a Walther, that's a nice gun. My Norinco almost turned into a grenade today

5. Tack Driver

Doubt it, I've shot mine one handed before and never had it jam/misfeed. I think you can only limp wrist pistols with reciprocating slides such as Glocks, XDs, M&P,s ect, pretty much any semi auto pistol. I've had some weird stuff happen with my SKS, it may be on the selling block

6. NRAJOE

Just seemed odd it happened to him...same deal as you...looked in chamber and gunpowder fell out along with the case...except bullet didn't go far enough to allow another cartridge to seat...same ammo...TULA 122gr FMJ.

7. Tack Driver

I find it pretty strange the primer popped and the powder didn't ignite. I guess the powder wasn't any good. The ammo I shot today has been stored in my house next to our safe, so it ain't like it was sitting outside in the rain/snow. Who knows, typical Russian $5 a box ammo quality control I guess

8. NRAJOE

Happens to the best ammo some times even.

Lucky we're smart enough to know when somethings wrong with our firearms.

9. Tack Driver

Yes sir that is true. I mainly posted this thread just as a reminder to never take safety for granted. Thanks to proper gun safety I didn't blow up my SKS today and didn't lose my face

Cyrano likes this.
  10. NRAJOE

Yeah, remember to put your ear plugs in too....have a constant ringing my right ear from 5 yrs ago.

Was reloading a 20 rd AK mag...forgot to reseat the plug in my right ear and fired a round from the AK in a covered range...been ringing ever since...like I'm trying to pick up a radio station...not as bad as before, but damage is done...constant "Bweeeeeeeeee"

11. Strange how it had enough umph to pop the bullet out but didn't burn any of the powder. We might should have collected some of the powder and lit it in a pan or something to see if it was wet. But at least we had a good day shooting guns and not grenades lol

12. Tack Driver

Yeah no kidding man, I wish we could have found that case to see what the primer looked like. Also weird how all the other rounds in that 20 round box were fine

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  13. TulAmmo is Mostly hit and a little miss. Worst box ever for me was 3 duds/20 rounds. Only the occasional 1 dud in maybe 500 rounds now for me.

14. Tack Driver

[​IMG]

There is a strange mark on the inside of the bullet right on the lead core, like a pin was pressed against it. Anyone know what may have caused this?

15. good thing you werent bumpfiring it at the time

dangitt...I have several hundred rounds of that ammo...now I is scared lol

I SO aint gonna be happy if I blow up my Tula or my AK

16. N, she was not injured. Fortunately it only bulged the barrel and didn't rupture it. The firearm remained intact I just now have to order a new barrel and take it to my gunsmith for repair. Luckily the guy who sold her the ammo stands behind his product enough that he'll reimburse us the cost of the replacement barrel and will also swap out the ammo. We've used his ammo before without issue. I've had similar bad experiences with a couple of other guns, though with those it was factory ammo and no damage occurred. Glad to know you came out ok.

17. chesterwin

chesterwin G&G Evangelist

Glad no one was hurt! I ran into some out of spec. 9mm a couple of months ago. The company sent me a refund but I've seen no recall yet. Stay aware!

18. Tack Driver

Well the squib load didn't have enough oomph the cycle the action, I cycled it manually. So if I would have been shooting fast it wouldn't have been a problem... Now if you get a squib that DOES have enough power to cycle the action then you have big problems

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  19. Tack Driver

As companies crank out as much ammo as they possibly can as fast as they can, you can expect quality control to drop somewhat

20. Tack Driver

I'm just glad I didn't grenade a rifle I just paid $295 for last summer. It ain't like I can send it back to the factory for replacement parts lol And I doubt TulAmmo would offer any compensation

So far in the past 8 months of shooting TulAmmo I have had 4 or 5 duds, 1 hang fire, and 1 squib. But I've shot many hundreds of rounds of it that have been fine. It's pretty much the only choice I have to feed my SKS and AKM with

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014