close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Squib load with Norinco SKS with TulAmmo

Discussion in 'SKS' started by Tack Driver, Feb 12, 2014.

1. 338RUM

338RUM G&G Evangelist

I have over 6K rounds of the stuff, I wonder how many of mine are duds?

2. send it me...I will report back with an exact count of duds, squibs and hangfires when I get done feeding the 6K thru my AK.....

:D

SKS NOOB likes this.

3. Tack Driver

Tack Driver G&G Evangelist

Probably not many 338RUM, it's 95% good ammo. I haven't had many issues. But feel free to send me 1K or so for testing purposes :D

4. Tack Driver

I will say this though, it got me thinking about replacing the ammo in the mags of my AK. If this had happened in a defensive situation I would be SOL. I would love to get some Hornady SST

Still though, I suspect this was a freak thing and won't happen again

5. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Yeah, don't freak out....I've shot over 10,000 rds of TULA 122 gr FMJ's and never had a problem.

6. PaleHawkDown

PaleHawkDown G&G Evangelist

I've never had one hang in a barrel, but I had some Chinese 7.62x39 and I actually watched the bullet pop out about 10 feet and drop. The round didn't go bang, but rather "Pop-kzzhitt" I think the next round got all of that one's powder because it went off like a cannon and shot over the target.

That Chinese stuff is the second worse ammo I've ever had.

The number one spot goes to a batch of Winchester 333 .22LRs. The bullets fell out of some of them when I took them out of the box, half did not fire and the other half were all over the place. I traded it off for a much smaller batch of Federal, which my cousin was happy to do despite me warning him how terrible they were. Even as duds they were worth money in trade after Obama came in to office.

Number 3 also goes to Winchester for a batch of Universal 12 ga. loads. These were of the BANG, pop variety and one of the BANGs was so tremendous it required me to disassemble my 1100 to make sure everything was ok and that it hadn't been damaged.

Number 4 goes to a batch of no-name east bloc 7.62x39 that may very well have been Tula, but that came in blank white paper boxes in a sealed spam can. There were no bangs or pops but the rounds would fall short of target or go over and most of them that hit the target keyholed.

Number 5 goes to a bad batch of the normally very good Blazer 9x18 Mak. My normally eat-crap-and-like-it CZ-82 would stove pipe almost every round. We tried it in a Makarov -- same thing. Ditto for my dad's CZ.
    My FEG loved it, so what is left of that batch is with it.

7. writerinmo

writerinmo G&G Evangelist

I've got over 1500 rounds of Tulammo through the Chinese SKS and never a problem one, cross my fingers. Only squib I've ever had was Winchester White Box bulk pack 9mm, had two in one box where the bullet actually FELL out of the end of the pistol barrel and landed at my feet. Haven't bought any since.

8. PaleHawkDown

PaleHawkDown G&G Evangelist

Glad I'm not the only one that has had problems with Winchester. The last time I mentioned it a half dozen people verbally body slammed me for saying I ever had any problems with their ammo.

9. writerinmo

writerinmo G&G Evangelist

I had ran two mags, so 20 rounds, prior to the squib, it was the third or fourth one in the mag. Just a POP and didn't eject the empty, so I dropped the mag and cleared it as I kinda knew what it was. Told my shooting buddy I needed to check the bore and make sure it didn't get stuck, he started laughing and bent down in front of me and picked up the bullet off the ground, said "No, you're good!"

I think it was only four or five rounds and POP...this one made it a little farther out, about 2' in front of me. Handed him the rest of the box, and told him to pull the bullets and reload. Later he told me that he had four more in the rest of the 100 round pack with no powder at all. One, I'll try your ammo again, but six out of 100? Not gonna happen, although I will admit this was when they were doing layoffs at the plant in Illinois, so maybe had some "employee problems" at the time.

10. bones22

bones22 G&G Newbie

idaho
    Same thing happened to me with Tula 122gr. Fortunately, I have replaced floating firing pin with spring firing pin. I have also experienced slam fire with yugo sks. that could have been a grenade, a squib and slamfire together.

11. Tack Driver

I found it odd that my squib 7.62x39 round HAD a full powder charge, but none of it ignited, just the primer. I noticed all the unburned powder on my gun and realized it was a squib. Mine didn't even make a POP, at least not that I could hear (I wear pretty dang good ear plugs) All I heard was a click and I thought it was a hangfire/dud

12. That's the thing I'm glad you posted and glad you went over again - you were aware enough of something being wrong to prevent disaster.

Blame Tula ammo if you want but most importantly there's nothing to blame on you! :beerchug:

13. Tack Driver

Yep safety is always our #1 responsibility as the shooter. I can't really blame the $5 a box ammo since it's one squib in thousands of rounds I've shot. It was a good learning experience for me, it's nice to learn things the easy/safe way, and not the KABOOM way :D

Posted From Gun & Game Mobile!

14. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

Don't know how I missed this thread, but I can possibly help solve this little mystery. I'm not going to say that it is the case with every failure described here, but several years ago, I bought a bag of the Grafs 7.62x54R brass that they were selling at the time. I loaded up 50 rds. with H4895 and Hornady 150 gr. .312 bullets. The 3rd rd. squibbed hard in my SAKO M-39, I was unable to knock it out with my cleaning rod, a solid brass rod, and 110 lbs. of air pressure. I ended up taking it home and drilling a dimple in the middle of a 1/4" brass rod, centering that on the bullet nose and knocking it out with a 2 lb. hammer.
    When it happened, there was a lot of unburned powder in the action and I found a "slug" of sort of melted powder in the mag.
    A few days later, I went back out and it happened again, but I was able to clear the barrel on site. A few rounds later, it happened again.
    I went home, dissassembled the gun, inspected it ten ways from Sunday, measured firing pin protrusion, checked headspace, etc. to no avail.
    Then, I broke down all of my carefully assembled handloads and started weighing the charges, which were all over the place. I was pretty baffled, as I weigh each charge down to the tenth of a grain and inspect each case before seating the bullet.
    I figured it out when I started looking in the empty cases-some of them had powder stuck in the bottom of the case. It took a while, but I finally figured out that when the cases were formed, there was lubricant left inside the case, which contaminated the powder around the flash hole, causing it not to burn. This powder would basically melt together from the primer flash, creating just enough pressure to force the bullet out of the case, but not enough to expel it from the barrel.
    I had been sizing and trimming the new cases, but had never cleaned them. I dumped the remaining 50 cases in the tumbler for a few hours, loaded them just like the others, and have never had a single failure since. YMMV, but if you have a similar problem, try breaking down a few rounds and see if there isn't powder clumped up in the bottom of the case...

15. PlanetRigo

PlanetRigo G&G Newbie

[[/B]QUOTE=Tack Driver;1922711]There's a decent sized snowstorm bearing down on North Carolina and much of the Southeast so I wanted to do some shooting today before the weather got really bad. Kind of cold at 24 degrees but at least the snow hadn't started falling yet.

I go out to the farm and setup targets and get ready to shoot, brought my SKS, m44 carbine, and my dad's Remington 1100 12ga for skeet shooting.
    My friend takes a few shots with his '51 Tula SKS and as he's reloading I chamber a round in my Norinco SKS and get ready to put a shot on my steel plate.... CLICK. I just sit there for about 30 seconds letting it cook off thinking that it's a hang fire like I had happen about 2 months ago. Well then I pull the bolt back and the only thing that ejects is an empty 7.62x39 casing (didn't notice that at the time). The bolt goes forward and loads a fresh round into the chamber. I knew something wasn't right so I unload the rifle and look at the chamber, as I tilt the gun up to look at the chamber a bunch of unburned powder falls out of the chamber and onto my hand. Then I slip a cleaning rod in the barrel and realize a bullet is in there. Sure am glad I didn't shoot that 2nd round! I tapped it out with a cleaning rod. The primer went off (powder didn't ignite) and it just barely pushed the bullet into the rifling... Just enough to allow another round to fit in the chamber.

Just goes to show safety always comes first and you have to really be paying attention any time you are firing any gun. Ammo was 122gr FMJ Tula 7.62x39

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

I had this same thing happen with my SKS using Tula ammo. I had three squibs in twenty five rounds out of the same case of ammo. I was pissed when the third squib came. The powder was obviously bad, but this ammo was only a year old and has been stored in a foot locker with all my other ammo, in the house.

Tula did the right thing though and refunded me the complete cost of the case plus NC sales tax.

16. racolqui

racolqui G&G Newbie

I have been shooting it for 10-15 years with no squibs, case sticking or any other ammo related problems. I shoot, .223/5.56, 7.72x39, .45 ACP, 9mm, and .380 ACP. I might just be lucky, but I will keep buying it until I find a better deal on other fresh manufactured ammo.

17. Kaybe

Kaybe G&G Evangelist

Ohio
    thankful that you and those around you are ok. Also, the gun is ok too. Wisdom and paying attention really payed off on this one.

SKS NOOB likes this.