Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a chance to hit the woods again today. A buddy and I wandered some old familiar mining roads in a local WMA.

The forest nymphs were way up in the trees and hugging the bark. We saw one scamper across a fallen log, then disappear. Heard several barking their displeasure, but didn’t connect any dots today.

Still was a good day.

Something strange happened, though. Was walking along a path when something big came barreling down out of a really tall tulip poplar. It sounded like a toaster in free fall hitting every branch on the way down, and then a solid THUMP! when it hit the ground.

I went to investigate and it was a squirrel- a nice size one, too.

Reptile Beak Organism Twig Terrestrial plant

He was still breathing and one back leg was kicking. Felt sorry for the dude, but didn’t know if he was sick or dazed. Decided to check on him on the way back and dispatch him if he was still incapacitated.

On the way back, he was sitting up, but still on the ground. I walked toward him and he turned, ran toward the tree, and scurried up it. Decided to let this tough little guy heal on his own. Surely thought he was a goner, though, after that fall.

Here’s a photo of the old mining road.

Plant Plant community Ecoregion Natural landscape Terrestrial plant

·
Since 03-15- 2002
28,229 Posts
Got a chance to hit the woods again today. A buddy and I wandered some old familiar mining roads in a local WMA.

The forest nymphs were way up in the trees and hugging the bark. We saw one scamper across a fallen log, then disappear. Heard several barking their displeasure, but didn’t connect any dots today.

Still was a good day.

Something strange happened, though. Was walking along a path when something big came barreling down out of a really tall tulip poplar. It sounded like a toaster in free fall hitting every branch on the way down, and then a solid THUMP! when it hit the ground.

View attachment 167923

He was still breathing and one back leg was kicking. Felt sorry for the dude, but didn’t know if he was sick or dazed. Decided to check on him on the way back and dispatch him if he was still incapacitated.

On the way back, he was sitting up, but still on the ground. I walked toward him and he turned, ran toward the tree, and scurried up it. Decided to let this tough little guy heal on his own. Surely thought he was a goner, though, after that fall.

View attachment 167927
Nice outing Jaison. Mighty sporting of you to let that lil feller fight another day. Luckiest tree rat in VA!

·
Premium Member
11,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice outing Jaison. Mighty sporting of you to let that lil feller fight another day. Luckiest tree rat in VA!
Yes, sir- it was an unexpected and very much appreciated morning off.

I couldn’t bring myself to end that little dude. Had that internal struggle to let nature take its course or help him into eternity.

Thought he’d be coyote food by the walk back from internal bleeding, broken back, etc. Somehow he rebounded. He still might be sick which caused the fall, so I just let him continue being a tree rat on this side of the leaf mold.

I’m the worst hunter ever. LOL

·
Premium Member
11,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He was likely just stunned.
I would have let him go too being as he wasn't clearly injured or incapacitated.
Figured out the noise he made hitting the ground-

Take a loaf of bread and pour water in the bag. Just enough to soak it, but not turn it in to mush.

Tie the bag up, wind up, and smack the top of the kitchen counter with it.

That was the sound.;)

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh phhplattt !

The fall wernt so bad but that dern suddnt stop !
Yeah thems some kinda tough lil bstrd's !

I'm kind of shamed to say I saw it done and didn't put a stop to it , but my boy shot one at fifteen foot or so with a paint ball gun and knocked the poor little dude clean to the next week Tuesday. Put the hurt on the little guy bad . He got knocked out the tree , and just clung to a little sapling four foot from the ground for over a hour and I told him to leave it be. Jaison, looks like some tough walking on the old trail there like that could use a new blade going down it.

Did you ever find a spot there and just sit a half hour or so ? I have much better luck doing that than walking /stalking.

·
Premium Member
11,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Looks like a beautiful day to be out--glad you got a nice walk in the woods there and very pretty place to be !
It's a nice place, JJ. The area isn't good for much besides logging and some minor mining. Very little water, steep everything except in the creek bottoms. It's home to a lot of deer (mostly does, from what some buddy's trail cam says) and a couple huge bear.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh phhplattt !

The fall wernt so bad but that dern suddnt stop !
Yeah thems some kinda tough lil bstrd's !

I'm kind of shamed to say I saw it done and didn't put a stop to it , but my boy shot one at fifteen foot or so with a paint ball gun and knocked the poor little dude clean to the next week Tuesday. Put the hurt on the little guy bad . He got knocked out the tree , and just clung to a little sapling four foot from the ground for over a hour and I told him to leave it be. Jaison, looks like some tough walking on the old trail there like that could use a new blade going down it.

Did you ever find a spot there and just sit a half hour or so ? I have much better luck doing that than walking /stalking.
The ol' sit and wait trick usually works great. Today was kind of a twofer- we were also checking out game trail changes because of the lack of rain. Wanted to find areas in the creek that pooled water.

Still, we ran into several squirrels, but they were all- except for one that was too far for an ethical shot- way up in the trees. Maybe cutting?

·
Since 03-15- 2002
28,229 Posts
Yes, sir- it was an unexpected and very much appreciated morning off.

I couldn’t bring myself to end that little dude. Had that internal struggle to let nature take its course or help him into eternity.

Thought he’d be coyote food by the walk back from internal bleeding, broken back, etc. Somehow he rebounded. He still might be sick which caused the fall, so I just let him continue being a tree rat on this side of the leaf mold.

I’m the worst hunter ever. LOL
A little graphic, but I had one wiggle it’s way off an arrow shaft stuck to the ground. They are tougher than we give em credit for. He deserves to pass the genes on for sure

·
Premium Member
11,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
During the course of the day, I spoke with several guys who said they’ve seen the same thing themselves. One of the guys is ‘that guy’ who usually one ups every story, but the rest I believe.

The One Up guy told a drawn out tale of a squirrel that was zapped by a power line, hit the ground on fire, ran into some shrubs, and he and some friends had to put out a small brush fire.

Ok.

I never knew falling squirrels were so common.

·
Premium Member
10,068 Posts
Jaison at least you got away from work and driving and the noise. A good walk in the secluded woods takes the weeks stress away. Even if its quiet and not a critter is stirring. I think that squirrel was sleep walking and missed a step. I have seen some crazy critter stuff while on the hunt also.

·
Premium Member
13,273 Posts

Still was a good day.

View attachment 167923

View attachment 167927
Probably scared the little fella. I’m sure he’d never seen a raccoon carrying a gun!

·
Registered
670 Posts
Several years ago I was amazed at seeing one jump from a tree with very few limbs as I was taking a bead on it. It was about 50 feet off the ground, sounded like a bag of potatoes when he touched down, bounced eight or ten inches then immediately took off like a rocket sled.
I figured he won the day so I left him alone!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts