Squirreling! To the Trees!

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by Jaison, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Jaison

Jaison G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Finally get a chance to do some real hunting.

Gathering the kit and pounding down a quick breakfast, then to pick up a buddy.

Franchi Affinity 20g ready you go.

We’re headed to known tree beast territory, so there’s a good chance of rousting a few.

Will take some pics of the day.

BigEd63, rando, graybeard and 7 others like this.
  2. Now remember, to give yourself an unfair advantage to find a nice tree that will be comfortable to sit against and fall asleep. The squirrels won't know when you're gonna wake up.

rando, graybeard, 455rocket and 5 others like this.

3. 410dude

410dude G&G Evangelist

Good Hunting. I'm waiting for cooler weather, rabbit season is just around the corner.....

graybeard, 455rocket, ChaZam and 3 others like this.
  4. Jaison

Alas and anon, the squirrels did evade. The favorite spot was cut off by a raging river that’s usually a shallow stream.

Got some excellent scouting in, though. Took a different route toward a familiar ridge. Flushed a grouse, saw some squirrels, but they were all in trees above heavy mountain laurel bushes, and found the main trail of what appears to be a good-size bear.

Plenty of deer sign. No rubs or scrapes, yet. Give it a month.

Pics later this evening.

All in all, a great day.

Thanks to all!

rando, graybeard, neophyte and 4 others like this.
  5. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Well shucks, I thought you were going to tell us you couldn't find enough taxidermists to do all of the trophy squirrel mounts...

BigEd63, rando, graybeard and 2 others like this.
  6. He needs to come here, I can get him onto some squirrels. All he'd need to do is go up above the pond and have a seat. lol

7. Jaison

Some pics from the day.

Hunting buddy walking on the last vestiges of civilization. It’s a strange path that doesn’t seem to lead anywhere.

ED936C11-399D-4F1D-BEF5-6D53277FE434.jpeg

Good cover and food for Bambi and Yogi.
    095E6235-BA79-4CEE-AE76-27D676987CC1.jpeg

Good grouse territory. Our population is way down, but we managed to flush one a few steps prior to the photo.
    EE436B2C-284D-4B24-8AB9-13D0F29FAFCF.jpeg

Found a cluster of Galax all by itself. Local lore is that Galax grows near graves.
    F4932CFD-87AB-42C0-8EAF-7AC015A617AB.jpeg

And the coup de grace- a nice pile of bear scat my buddy stepped in. This is a big bear, ladies and gentlemen.
    5AADDAA0-699C-45DC-AB68-5AD5BBBA0876.jpeg

jerry, Junction15, ChaZam and 5 others like this.
  8. graybeard

graybeard G&G Evangelist

Virginia
    Which one - the bear that left the scat.....or the bear that stepped in it?:D
    Good day in the woods - you got to see where to go for future hunts.
    Its fun to find different spots to hunt besides the go-to areas.

9. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

There you have it, verification that a wild bear does $hit in the woods...

rando, graybeard, Junction15 and 4 others like this.
  10. Jaison

Made that joke right after my buddy stepped in it. LOL

Should have taken photos of all the white/pale mushrooms out there. Pretty evident what that bear was eating that day.

Oddly enough, that guy (human, mostly;)), really is a big guy. Not round, but muscle stout from work. He looks like a gruff, mean [email protected]@rd, but he’s a big, ol’ teddy bear.

ChaZam, rando, graybeard and 4 others like this.
  11. jerry

jerry Since 03-15- 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    Thanks Jaison!

Sent from my iPhone using Gun and Game

ChaZam, graybeard and Jaison like this.
  12. quavodus

quavodus G&G Evangelist

I used to squirrel hunt a lot. But, haven't done any in several years. Need to get back into it.

neophyte, ChaZam, graybeard and 3 others like this.
  13. Jaison

Yah, it can be addictive.

Honestly, though? As much I love squirrel, I get as much out of just walking, sitting, and watching the forest- a squirrel supper is a bonus.

Would like to get a squirrel dog someday. They love that stuff and make good buddies.

14. BigEd63

BigEd63 G&G Evangelist

Arkansas
    I used to hunt them a lot when younger out by one honey hole for squirrel out behind the house in a tiny hollow. Had an old black walnut and several oak trees. Used a 22lr there
    Another spot was by where 2 brothers I went to school with lived. Due to area was restricted to pellet guns.
    They had dogs and the dogs would chase the squirrels, we'd chase the dogs trying not to get heart attacks at age 13. Was fun and a good way to learn to engage moving targets while on the move.
    On my own land I'd play squirrel sniper and find a hide and wait for sun up and the squirrels to show. A few times I'd clack and chatter to aggravate one into exposing itself more.

ChaZam, neophyte and Jaison like this.