Gun and Game Forum banner

Squirreling! To the Trees!

3K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Rambo 
#1 ·
Finally get a chance to do some real hunting.

Gathering the kit and pounding down a quick breakfast, then to pick up a buddy.

Franchi Affinity 20g ready you go.

We’re headed to known tree beast territory, so there’s a good chance of rousting a few.

Will take some pics of the day.

#4 ·
Alas and anon, the squirrels did evade. The favorite spot was cut off by a raging river that’s usually a shallow stream.

Got some excellent scouting in, though. Took a different route toward a familiar ridge. Flushed a grouse, saw some squirrels, but they were all in trees above heavy mountain laurel bushes, and found the main trail of what appears to be a good-size bear.

Plenty of deer sign. No rubs or scrapes, yet. Give it a month.

Pics later this evening.

All in all, a great day.

Thanks to all!

#7 ·
Some pics from the day.

Hunting buddy walking on the last vestiges of civilization. It’s a strange path that doesn’t seem to lead anywhere.

Trail Vegetation Soil Natural environment Nature reserve

Good cover and food for Bambi and Yogi.
Tree Forest Woodland Natural environment Vegetation

Good grouse territory. Our population is way down, but we managed to flush one a few steps prior to the photo.
Tree Forest Woodland Nature reserve Natural environment

Found a cluster of Galax all by itself. Local lore is that Galax grows near graves.
Plant Groundcover Soil Flower Leaf

And the coup de grace- a nice pile of bear scat my buddy stepped in. This is a big bear, ladies and gentlemen.
Soil Leaf Grass Plant Adaptation

#8 ·
And the coup de grace- a nice pile of bear scat my buddy stepped in. This is a big bear, ladies and gentlemen.
Which one - the bear that left the scat.....or the bear that stepped in it?:D
Good day in the woods - you got to see where to go for future hunts.
Its fun to find different spots to hunt besides the go-to areas.

#14 ·
I used to hunt them a lot when younger out by one honey hole for squirrel out behind the house in a tiny hollow. Had an old black walnut and several oak trees. Used a 22lr there
Another spot was by where 2 brothers I went to school with lived. Due to area was restricted to pellet guns.
They had dogs and the dogs would chase the squirrels, we'd chase the dogs trying not to get heart attacks at age 13. Was fun and a good way to learn to engage moving targets while on the move.
On my own land I'd play squirrel sniper and find a hide and wait for sun up and the squirrels to show. A few times I'd clack and chatter to aggravate one into exposing itself more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.