78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if a stainless steel finish is more visible to deer
than a blued finish. Is the stainless shinier and more visible
to the deer?

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
sorry about that coundnt resist, no I dont believe the deer will be any more scared, deer are sensitive to movement, also they have a very well developed sense of smell, now maybe a reflection if the metal is very shiny. but hes going to smell you or sense movement as the primary flight or flee. but having shiny stainless is certainly not going to help your odds. but I dont think it will be substanial

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
I'm not an avid hunter any longer and, with that, I don't have hunter smart insight into animal behaviors but....if you believe what the guys on OLN say deer have poor eyesight and most of their reaction is to movement and smell.

Dunno.....just what they say.

If that's the case I doubt if stainless makes much of a difference.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Deer do not have poor eyesight. Their other senses are maybe better than their eyesight. To answer the original question - I agree with 7mag. I don't think it would be that big of a deal unless you were hunting in open country in full sun. Then reflection might come into play. Mostly where I hunt is in big timber or around ag-fields late in the afternoon. Just in case you are interested, all my hunting guns are blued or matte finsished anyway. I want all the advantage I can get. Unless you are on a 3-5 day hunt, your gun is not going to turn into a usless pile of rust if it gets rained on. That is what oil is for.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
About a week ago I was watching some guy on OLN that was bow hunting white tail in Texas and it showed a doe (he was hunting buck) come up to the guy on a low tree stand and had her nose up sniffing (quite near his foot, too) and once she smelled the guy she bolted.

I coulda sworn he was saying afterwards that the deer didn't have good eyesight but had powerful smell and hearing.

That's where I got the idea of deer having poor eyesight. Perhaps "poor" was a wrong term....dunno.

On the other hand, I might have completely misheard what was being mentioned.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
deer have excellent sight. i would not worry about a stainless gun spooking animals. deer dont care for lots of movement or noises.

·
Registered
103 Posts
There was a show on the discovery channel or learning channel or something like that maybe 2-3 years ago. They were talking about just this thing. They went to quite a bit of detail to explain how the deers eyes are different. Their rods and cones are different than some other animals. It has to do with their red/blue color perception. They have very sharp vision, and excellent night vision, but their perception of certain colors is different somehow. I cant remember what all they said. It is sorta like they are color blind, but what they see, they see sharp. They can see and smell the M&M's, just dont ask them to sort them by color........

They also have exceptional distance vision and can detect the slightest movement...I wish I could get a tape on that show, cause it would be worth a lot in the hunting season. They talked about what a big joke that camo is, because the deer can detect and individually identify something like 26 odors at the same time, their hearing is phenominal. They can smell your presence there even though they may not be able to see you.

One thing that they were talking about was that the hunter orange is not percieved by the deer as a bright, unusual color. However, they can detect UV radiation. So even the camo that is on certain kinds of materials that reflect UV radiation, glows in the deers sight. They did say that using those UV blocker chemicals in your wash water was worth more than the camo.

In nature stuff doesnt flash. If your stainless is polished and shines, it will catch their attention. If you take it down and have gunny bead blast it so it doesnt shine, then the light color doesnt cause them any alarm as nature is a mix of lights and darks anyway.

I always got a laugh about the guys I hunt with. They spend hundreds of dollars on camo clothing and then wear a hunter orange jacket over the top of it all. Nothing funnier than human nature.

Bill

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
pipsqueak said:
I'm wondering if a stainless steel finish is more visible to deer
than a blued finish. Is the stainless shinier and more visible
to the deer?
Let me re-write your question, why would you want (anybody) want a SS finsh in the first place?? I`m talking rifle here.
Hunting requires concealment, to some degree, so why go hunting with a blinklng lite? On the other hand if one ( SS-finish) is wanted buy it.
Different strokes for different folks.

" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
SilverRun said:
Deer do not have poor eyesight. Their other senses are maybe better than their eyesight. To answer the original question - I agree with 7mag. I don't think it would be that big of a deal unless you were hunting in open country in full sun. Then reflection might come into play. Mostly where I hunt is in big timber or around ag-fields late in the afternoon. Just in case you are interested, all my hunting guns are blued or matte finsished anyway. I want all the advantage I can get. Unless you are on a 3-5 day hunt, your gun is not going to turn into a usless pile of rust if it gets rained on. That is what oil is for.
I've hunted bean fields in bright sunlight with a stainless barrel with no ill effects but none of your shots there are going to be close ones. If they noticed any flash it was too far away for them to be spooked by it.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
for those that dont understand stainless, it doesnt have to be polished bright like the bumper on a 59 caddy. there are probably more brightly polished BLUED rifles out in the woods hunting, a nice high polished blued is shiny as heck.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Johan Malan said:
Well What's the big deal with stainless anyway?
A stainless rifle wont kill deer any deader than n blued rifle.
true enough but a stainless gun retains near new value as oposed to a blued one that shows wear no matter how carefull you are. they also hold up better in wet conditions.
like i said before i have been hunting with one for 8 years and its never mattered to the deer, dead is dead. its all in retained value and care for me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts