Star 9mm

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by jtuck, Sep 22, 2008.

1. jtuck

jtuck G&G Evangelist

As I stated in a previous post, our county is auctioning off some firearms in October. There are a few I am interested in such as a model 94, Winchester model 1860 and some others. They also have a Star 9mm listed, and I was wondering if anyone has one. If you guys have any experience with one of these could you let me know if it's worth bidding on or not?

Also, if any live close to SW Missouri and would be interested in the auction let me know and I will send you a copy of the firearms listed.

2. stalebiscuit

stalebiscuit G&G Newbie

just a plain nothing special 250 dollar 9mm

3. KW Gary M

KW Gary M Suspended

The second handgun I ever owned was a 9MM Star. Not a bad cheep gun. Shot well, very rarely jammed. It was a little heavy but for the most part not bad. I paid under $100 for it brand new in 1989.

4. stalebiscuit

stalebiscuit G&G Newbie

lucky

5. jtuck

jtuck G&G Evangelist

I may put a bid in on it. It looks like it might be something fun to mess around with. I don't have a 9mm. This would probably be one my wife would enjoy shooting as she's not a big fan of the .45's.

6. Taurus Fan

Taurus Fan G&G Newbie

7. captsquirrel

captsquirrel G&G Enthusiast

8. captsquirrel

captsquirrel G&G Enthusiast

It looks like taurus beat me to it.

9. jtuck

jtuck G&G Evangelist

I'm not sure what model, the list wasn't very clear on some guns. It's one of those deals where you just have to go and check it out. I'm gonna go and take some cash and see what I can come up with. They have lots of things I'm interested in like some bolt guns and couple revolvers. I'm gonna have to be careful or I'm gonna end up in trouble. Most people around here are real cheap, so I hope I can come up with some good deals. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

If if is a BM, I'll probably buy it.

10. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

Make sure what model it is, they were offered in both 9mm Luger and 9mm Largo depending on model.

11. jtuck

jtuck G&G Evangelist

It should be stamped, right?

12. Pope130

Pope130 G&G Addict

jtuck,
    Star built a number of different 9mm pistols. Early on they built full size service pistols based closely on the 1911, like the model A and model B. They were well built of good quality steel, but heavy for the size of the cartridge. They can be found in both 9mm Para and 9mm Largo (Bergman-Bayard). Some had shoulder stocks and a few were select fire (I 'd bet the one for sale ain't one of those).
    A later similar design was the Model M in 9mm Largo.
    The Model BM (mentioned above) is also similar to the 1911 in pattern, but scaled down to fit the 9mm cartridge. I used to have one. A very nice carry gun, and an excellent choice for personal defense for a smaller shooter. There was a similar pistol called the BK that had an aluminum frame. Quite rare and desirable.
    Then there is the Model 43 Firestar. A compact single action. One of them is my current CCW. About the size of most 380's or 32's. Steel frame, surprisingly heavy, which is good with the 9mm Para cartridge.
    The Firestar Plus is similar with a double row magazine holding 13 rounds.
    The Model 28 and Model 30 are modern full size 9mm service pistols. Double action trigger mechanism and double row magazines. Well built and reliable.
    There were also several 9mm Corto (380 ACP) calibre pistols, including the very fine Model D, and a 9mm SMG.

As you have probably guessed, I like Star pistols. If you can get it for a good price, go for it. While the company is (sadly) out of business, magazine and spare parts availability is still good.

Robert

13. KW Gary M

KW Gary M Suspended

Good suggestion. The Largo ammo can be rare and costly.

14. Pope130

Pope130 G&G Addict

Dang, forgot one. The UltraStar is similar to the FireStar, but double action. Nice concealed carry piece.

15. Tracer

Tracer G&G Aussie Dad Forum Contributor

I too have had a couple of firestars. Very accurate and well built, but too heavy for a carry gun. Good luck at the sale.

16. Doctor Larry K

Doctor Larry K G&G Newbie

I have a very nice M43 that is very accurate and reliable. One of my favorite shooters. In the proper holster you will never notice the weight.

Doc

17. slrassoc

slrassoc G&G Addict

STAR BM

POPE130....I also own a Star BM. Bought it 20 years ago. Only fired 50 rounds in it so far. Havent fired it in 10 years. It came with a cheap phosphate finish so I sent it off to Alpha Precision years ago and said high polish and blue it. It looks like the Smith & Wessons of WWll time. Haven't even racked back the slide since it was blued. Believe it or not I bought it when STAR was about to go out of business and got it for $200.00 brand new. Nice size for concealed carry. NATO speced and can shoot +P+ ammo in it all day. Triple K makes new magazines for them and WOLF makes recoil springs for them. I don't know where one would obtain other spare parts for them but should be plentiful since this gun was the Spanish military sidearm for years. Star was ahead of it's time with all of the small guns which would be popular today cause of CCW laws. They went out of business for one reason only...Soain only allows one gun mfg to exist for military use and for some political reason STAR was passed up so they had to close the doors.

18. Don357

Don357 G&G Addict

I had a Star M 243 (the Firestar Plus) in the Starvel finish. Great gun! The only thing I didn't like about it was the trigger and I'm sure it could 've been remedied. It was a little bit rough feeling in the pull. Other than that I loved it, but like a fool I sold it.:34::banghead: :crying:

19. Taurus Fan

Taurus Fan G&G Newbie

Never heard of the UltraStar, so I looked them up, wow. It's the only polymer frame gun I've seen that actually looks *kewl*, very hi-tech and space-age. Too bad it was Star's last gasp before going out of business.

http://star-firearms.com/firearms/guns/ultrastar/index.shtml

I like the thin single-column magazine design they kept, everyone goes with the hi-cap double stack and puts up with the thick grip, but a trim 9 shot 9mm has a lot going for it.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2008
  20. matt760

matt760 G&G Enthusiast

i have a star bm and i want to get rid of it. its an okay gun but i cant seem to hit much with it. i know its not all the guns fault but just not accurate enough for me. but it was a family member's (passed away now) and i think i would feel guilty if i sold it. so i probably wont. it is a pretty tough and rugged built pistol. seems to be any way. i saw one with the original box at a gun show today for 350. i wouldnt dare pay that much for one. but maybe some have had better experience with them. my father in law said he had one years ago that he sold due to inaccuracy.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted