Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came in the mail today. Thanks to PaleHawkDown, I am now in to muzzle loading hunting. The Mrs. asked if this means I’ll be hunting more than I am now, I crossed my fingers behind my back and replied, “Why, no.”😅
Now, time read up on accessories I’m going to need to get started.
Rectangle Bumper Wood Automotive exterior Gas

·
Premium Member
19,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice, the Traditions muzzleloader dad has shot best with 80gr of loose Pyrodex and T\C maxi hunter bullets. Your experiences may be different.
I’m looking at loads for a 250gr bullet. They start at 100gr and go up to 120gr. My hunting friends just use 100gr for the distance they’re shooting. I don’t need more than a 12ga slug can deliver.

·
Premium Member
10,355 Posts
So you went and did it Tom. I have never used more than 100 grains of propellent for hunting. I used to use FFFG back years ago back in the #11 percussions. Then I got a few in line style with the 209 primer. They are capable of more than 100 grains but dont gain much but recoil. I have always used 100 grains after doing some testing myself. I use two 50 grain Triple 7 pellets or similar

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
Traditions is a good company to deal with if you have any issues as well. A friend of mine who was new to muzzleloading cleaned his blued muzzleloader and did not follow the directions. When he went to get it ready for the next season he called me and asked me to stop by his home and take a look at it. He used Pyrodex at the time and it is very corrosive if not properly cleaned...it was junk. I called Traditions in Old Saybrook, CT and told the CSR what had transpired, he asked me to send the barrel back and he'd se what he could do. Two days later he calls me and says that a new barrel is being shipped to my business with a new owners manual and please have the owner read it and understand it. When the barrel arrived it was an upgrade to a satin nickel plated barrel. My friend couldn't believe it, frankly neither could I. They are good folks I have been in their retail shop and it is very nice...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts