close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

State of Emergency Declared in Charlottesville After Protests Turn Violent

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by ncnascarlady, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Check the article for more information, including about a car plowing into protestors from both sides...

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/12/us/charlottesville-protest-white-nationalist.html

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. — A planned protest in Virginia by white nationalists was abandoned on Saturday after a spate of violence prompted the governor to declare a state of emergency and law enforcement officers to clear the area.

The demonstration, which both organizers and critics had said was the largest gathering of white nationalists in recent years, turned violent almost immediately and left several people injured.

The turmoil began with a march Friday night and escalated Saturday morning as hundreds of white nationalists gathered. Waving Confederate flags, chanting Nazi-era slogans, wearing helmets and carrying shields, they converged on a statue of Robert E. Lee in the city’s Emancipation Park and began chanting phrases like “You will not replace us,” and “Jew will not replace us.”

Hundreds of counterprotesters quickly surrounded the crowd, chanting and carrying their own signs.

By 11 a.m., the scene had exploded into taunting, shoving and outright brawling. Barricades encircling the park and separating the two sides began to come down, and police temporarily retreated. People were seen clubbing one another in the streets, and pepper spray filled the air.

Police cleared the area before noon, and the Virginia National Guard arrived as officers began arresting some who remained for unlawful assembly. But fears lingered that the altercation would start again nearby, even as politicians, including Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe, a Democrat, and House Speaker Paul Ryan of Wisconsin, a Republican, condemned the violence.

2. Car plows into protesters in Charlottesville - live updates

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/vehicle-plows-into-protesters-in-charlottesville-live-updates/

A car struck protesters in Charlottesville, Virginia, after police dispersed a gathering of white nationalists on Saturday.

Charlottesville police tell CBS News at least four people are injured. CBS News' Bo Erickson reports at least six people are on the ground.

The injuries range from minor to life-threatening, authorities said.

A dozen medics are carting the injured back and forth on stretchers. The victims appear to be counter-protesters but could be residents, CBS News justice reporter Paula Reid reports.

"A car appeared to deliberately mow down pedestrians," eyewitnesses tell Reid.

car struck protesters in Charlottesville, Virginia, after police dispersed a gathering of white nationalists on Saturday.

White nationalists clashed with counter-protesters hours before the collision in downtown Charlottesville. Alt-right activists and white supremacists planned to protest the city's decision to remove a statue of Confederate General Robert E. Lee from the city's Emancipation Park.

Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe declared a state of emergency in the city to aid the state's response to violence in the area.

The City of Charlottesville also declared the assembly unlawful and officers in riot gear began to clear the area shortly after noon.

"It is now clear that public safety cannot be safeguarded without additional powers, and that the mostly out-of-state protesters have come to Virginia to endanger our citizens and property," McAuliffe said in a statement.

"I am disgusted by the hatred, bigotry and violence these protesters have brought to our state over the past 24 hours," McAuliffe said, adding that state troopers and the Virginia National Guard were providing support to local authorities.

Huey Rider likes this.

3. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

My Heart belongs to Mississippi. What the heck the Libs threaten we evil white folks with their crap, and we supposed to lie down roll over and take it up the O'Roark.:mad:

jwrauch and Ten Man like this.
  4. (bold and italics added by me...)
    This is what annoys me to no end. It is none of their business protesting in another state. And I'd bet real money if I had any that those protesters are PAID to cause trouble.

TNPIRATE, Huey Rider, jwrauch and 5 others like this.
  5. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

So, when did Neonazis suddenly become "WHITE Nationalists"? This paints all white folk who believe in a strong America as racist nazi bigots. We are being impugned by these libtard apologists and activists.

6. Jaison

Jaison A tale of a forlorn trash panda Forum Contributor

Yonder
    This whole situation is outrageous. It's orchestrated by The Left and, undoubtably, will lead to some form of limitations on our freedom to assemble.

I don't stand with the white nationalists or their ilk, but our walking cat box of a governor insinuated that THEY were the cause of the melee.

It takes two or more for a fight, you limp-wristed, carpet bagging, blue-bellied sack. The 'counter protestors' were brought in to scuffle.

You got your violence, you child! You imbecilic minion of the Left! At this point, your administration has blatantly betrayed the honor of Virginia. God will have His justice in His time.

Please, my friends here on G&G, please don't judge our commonwealth by these events. The Uber-Left university towns and larger cities may get the attention, but the vast majority of Virginia despises these fools.

7. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    Rocket, I've been convinced for 20 years or more that the next major civil war (as opposed to a Civil War involving secession) is going to be between the urban sheeple and the folks who live out in the country. We don't think the same way on almost any subject, starting with firearms and ending with patriotism. What the urban sheeple don't understand is that the non-urbanites own most of the privately owned firearms, know how to use them, and if threatened by the sheeple won't hesitate to open fire on them to defend their towns, their homes, their friends, their families -- and their nation -- from the useless mouths in the cities.

It has nothing to do with race, and very little to do with religion or gender. It has a great deal to do with mindset and integrity.

8. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

No fear Jaison! I am willing to bet that those violent mobs are mostly out of state trouble makers with a few Virginian's mixed in. Good folks are ok, just that those bad ones drag everyone along!!! :(

jwrauch, TXplt, Ten Man and 2 others like this.
  9. Jaison

Yonder
    Amen, Brother Cyrano. Well stated.

PAPA G, jwrauch and Cyrano like this.
  10. Jaison

Yonder
    It breaks my heart, PAPA.

PAPA G likes this.
  11. Jaison, never fear that I think you are anything like those fools who seem to think they have the "right" to have the only opinion that matters.

PAPA G, jwrauch and Jaison like this.
  12. john_r

john_r G&G Evangelist

Jax, Fla
    I wish we knew exactly who was behind what, but the news and the government will lie about it all.

Wouldn't surprise me if "deep state" or Soros clandestinely encouraged the "neo nazi" crowd to do this, and bussed in counter-protesters to create a kabuki show to spark a war.

All right wingers will now be blamed and called white supremacists by the media, and that angers me like nothing else lately.

PAPA G, jwrauch, Jaison and 4 others like this.
  13. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

Isn't it interesting how "out of state" protestors for the "Left" can come in, riot, pillage, commit mayhem, and waltz away scot-free while the home town folks get blamed and jailed?

Similar to what Cyrano said. The next Civil War will be be about traditional values being crushed, while amoral and/or communist values are promoted.

14. Am I the only one who's even a little bit frightened by that thought?

jwrauch and john_r like this.
  15. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

Perhaps. It doesn't frighten me in the least. At my age, I am ready rock and roll!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    TNPIRATE, PAPA G, mauser9 and 2 others like this.
  16. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Perfectly understood. Rampant liberalism needs to be declared a capital crime. Those idiots don't deserve to live, if they intend abrogating our God-given rights.

PAPA G and jwrauch like this.
  17. I was talking with a friend about this situation earlier today and he made a good point. Anybody remember the uproar during the run up to the 1996 Atlanta Olympics over Georgia's flag?

Read these and come back when you're done... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Georgia_(U.S._state) and https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...93f-8859-6718d83513d4/?utm_term=.073fb70a0523

We both decided THESE were the defining moments when the liberal loons began their campaign to destroy our country and the long slide into where we are now.

What do you think?

18. Jaison

Yonder
    Not just this ol' hillbilly, M'Lady, but most in the Old Dominion.

As mentioned ad nauseum in previous posts, we figuratively have two states-

The Leftist cities of Northern Virginia, Richmond and Tidewater and then everybody else.

It's maddening. I can't think of another, better word.

PAPA G, jwrauch and ncnascarlady like this.
  19. 870shooter1

870shooter1 G&G Evangelist

Tucson
    There is no easy solution when two groups of extremists clash.

Prayers for the city and its people.

Gun Junkie, PAPA G, jwrauch and 2 others like this.
  20. jwrauch

jwrauch G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

If these d@@ned liberals would stop trying to erase history maybe we could get somewhere . "When you sow to the wind you reap a whirlwind" !!