close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Staying Safe: Support Your Local Police ... Dog

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by colt45, Jun 19, 2002.

1. Staying Safe: Support Your Local Police ... Dog
    Bruce Mandelblit
    Tuesday, June 18, 2002

They may be German shepherds, Belgian Malinois, bloodhounds, black Labradors, golden retrievers and even beagles – but they all have one thing in common. They are all indispensable parts of the world of law enforcement dogs.

These canine cops are trained for numerous and diverse duties: everything from protecting the public and police, searching for lost children and endangered adults, locating evidence, searching buildings, tracking and apprehending felons and crowd control, to locating hidden narcotics and explosives.

And, unfortunately, like their human police partners, many of these canine heroes have also given their lives in the line of duty.

Here are just a few stories of police dog valor as reported by the North American Police Work Dog Association (www.napwda.com):

Bodi, a police dog with the Orange County Sheriff's Office in Orange, Va., was shot and killed by a suspect he was chasing.

Gator, a police K-9 with the Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office in Florida, was killed while tracking an armed robbery suspect.

Sevo, a police dog with the Topeka Police Department in Kansas, was stabbed in the chest by a suspect while helping to protect his handler from a potentially fatal situation. Sevo was rushed to a veterinary clinic with multiple stab wounds. Unfortunately, Sevo lost his fight for life on Dec. 31, 1998.

Cero, a police canine with the Ashtabula County Sheriff’s Department in Jefferson, Ohio, was shot and killed by a suspect while protecting the lives of his handler, fellow deputies and citizens in the area.

Ando, a police dog with the LaGrange Police Department in LaGrange, Ga., was apparently drowned by a suspect he was tracking.

These are just a few recent incidents of police dog heroism.

Canine cops have saved numerous human lives; they have located countless missing children and adults; they have recovered incalculable narcotics – but these remarkable results have come at a high price for these canine heroes. In addition to hundreds of injuries suffered in the line of duty, there were 37 police dogs killed in the last 15 years, with 20 of those deaths occurring in just the last five years!

Even during the tragic events of Sept. 11, 2001, a police dog, Sirius, was killed when the towers collapsed. Sirius was one of the bomb-sniffing canines assigned to the World Trade Center.

In addition, dozens and dozens of police dogs from around the country assisted in the search, rescue and recovery efforts at the World Trade Center site.

A final thought: To their human handlers, police dogs are not just another piece of law enforcement equipment, but rather, truly loyal partners. Loyal partners who, when called upon, will unselfishly give their lives to protect their fellow officers and the public at large.

However, it’s a sad fact that many police dogs do not have a vital piece of safety equipment commonly used by their human police partners – a "bullet-proof†vest. Since these vests can cost about $500, many police and sheriff’s departments do not have the available funds to purchase police canine body armor.

What can you do to help?

There are organizations around the country that raise funds to help purchase "bullet-proof†vests for these unsung police canine heroes.

These groups include: Pennies To Protect Police Dogs (www.penniestoprotectpolicedogs.org) and Vest-A-Dog (www.dogvest.com).

We can all sleep a little better tonight knowing that these highly trained police canines are patrolling and protecting our communities and neighborhoods.

Copyright 2002 by Bruce Mandelblit

2. Approximately three years ago we had a situation here in the Phoenix area where a Police K-9 was killed by a suspect.

Believe it or not, the suspect was charged with murder and it stuck....you betcha!

I can't remember what his sentence was but in appeals the Appeals Court upheld the charge and initial rulings.

3. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

In Ohio, if you kill a K-9, you have killed a police officer. Plain and simple. I love dogs, and think it's high time they get some kind of protection. They are trained to take a bullet if need be. Why not even the odds in their favor?

4. In NY the killing of a police K-9 is charged and prosecuted as the killing of an officer.I'm not a PETA person but this I'm all for.

5. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

Well before we pay for another month of cable TV for prisoners, why not take that money and put it into a fund for the vests....I mean criminals need regular TV or go read a newspaper, our Dogs are more important!

6. Chris did you just say our dogs are more important than the humane treatment of our incarcerated criminal element.
    don't let the civil liberty's union hear you say that.
    ha ha ha ha ha ha I AGREE WITH YOU>

7. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Thank you Colt45! I will check all the sites out and donate for the vests! All of us should!

8. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

I'm gonna do the same.

9. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

Colt45 - its not the civil liberty union anymore they changed the name last week its the American Criminal Libertation Union.

This is excellent if my local Agency a small and i mean small department went to K-9's I would buy a vest and donate it myself -- when I was considering K9 years ago and the thought of loosing my shepherd I seriously looked at these and they are not bad $250 and thats a IIa vest with trauma plates. Definitely a good investment - rather than cable for felons