close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Steel Case?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Lenny2, Jul 12, 2002.

1. Lenny2

Lenny2 Guest

Can I get some insight into steel case loads? I have a Charles Daly EFS. I want to buy 1000 rounds and found some cheap stuff in Prescott, AZ. One case of 1000 Wolf .45 Steel Case for a little over $100.
    Is this a good idea, or should I shell out the cash for brass?

Thanks

2. Eric

Eric G&G Newbie

USA
    I've never heard anything bad about it, except that alot of the steel case ammo (wolf) is lacquered and the lacquer sometimes builds up in the barrel/action. The way I figure it, as long as you clean it real good...no problems. The other thing is whether you want to reload or not. If you're planning on reloading in the future, you come out better in the long run buying seller & bellot. It's the next cheapest (not counting the WWII tins) and is supposed to be real quality ammo with boxer/brass. JMO, good shooting!

3. Do not use the steel case bullshit. You get what you pay for. The steel case has a laquer on it that will in time screw up your chamber and barrel. I have used nothing but Sellier & Bellot ammo from www.cheaperthandirt.com . I have never had any problems with this ammo, its very clean, brass case, boxer primed, and reloadable. Its very inexpensive. I know others are going to tell you that they never had any problems with steel case but keep in mind, a nice pistol like you have is American made. Steel case was never designed for these weapons. Brass was. You will never go wrong with it.

4. Lenny2

Lenny2 Guest

I went brass

I ordered a case of Sellier & Belot. I ran a few hundred through each of my .45s (Charles Daly, Llama). No jams. It was great. Got it from J&G Sales in AZ. Can't say enough good about these guys.
    Thanks for the replies!

5. Rocklobster

Rocklobster G&G Newbie

Ah...excuse me, Charles Daley firearms are made in the Phillipines.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2002
  6. Steel case is for commie guns, brass is still better.

7. wes

wes G&G Newbie

I've used the Wolf in both my Springfield LW and my Colt with .460 Rowland. It worked fine,except I had a couple of stovepipes shooting it with the .460 kit. Actually,I was suprised that it worked at all with a 24# spring.

8. Wes--

Its good to see that your still active on the boards. Havent seen you in a while.