Steel Cases

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Despoiler, Apr 25, 2002.

1. I have always heard that steel cases are not reloadable. I was reading "Modern Reloading" by Richard Lee and he states that steel cases can be reloaded. Now I have no intention of reloading steel cases, but I wonder why some say no to steel cases and he says that steel can be reloaded. Please enlighten me.
    :...:

2. Jack O

Jack O Guest

As to way not to reload steel cases I don't have the answers. I can say that I reloaded and fired 50 Wolf cases before I realized that they were steel.And reloaded them with out a problem. Hopew this helps ya. Know I touch all of my cases with a magnet just to remove steel cases.

3. jerry

jerry Since 03-15- 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    Take reloading out of the picture and look at it strictly from a meturology standpoint. I believe the dies, steel or carbide would hold up longer with brass rather than steel. Sure it can be done but at what cost? There may be other issues in mind not brought out, corrosion problems, product liability etc. take it for what it's worth.

4. Jerry is right on the money.

Steel casings are/were considered unreloadable because of the excessive wear on the dies. I too, reloaded some without knowing and you can sure tell the difference though when the die begins running over the casing.

I had carbide dies so it wasn't quite as noticable as I would expect if you had regular dies.

At first I thought that, since I was using very discolored cases, that those particular casings weren't cleaned enough.

But, I'm sure if you are intent on reloading steel, nickel or other similar cases it can be done. But, as Jerry says, at what price? Even carbide dies would live a much shorter life, I'm sure.

I'm also sure, with the popularity of steel cases some die manufacturer is working on steel case reloading dies as we speak. I once read where both RCBS and Dillon had experimented in making ceramic dies. I have no idea as to the out-come.

My biggest thing was running across berdan primed cases and decapping them without realizing what they were. I broke many a decapping tool.

5. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

Kack O, How the heck did you reload Wolf? Did you use Berdan primers? I recently learned that it's actually possible, but much harder and more expensive.

6. Jack O

Jack O Guest

That would be Jack O. I have in my hand at this time a Wolf case that is boxer primed. I know this becuase I have deprimed it. It is as steel as steel can get sticks to a magnet real well. Has only one flashhole just as regular brass. Casehead reads WOLF 45 AUTO

7. Jack O

Jack O Guest

The biggest down side to steel cases is rust which is surely not good for any dies. When you fire a steel case the lacquer on the outside is fractured leading to moisture getting to the steel cases. Wolf has done alot of saltwater testing on there ammo and they did very well.( I don't remember the numbers) And here's a little testfor you set two Wolf shells outside one loaded from the factory and one once fired. The reasons will become clear.

8. Thanks guys, I was just wondering what the draw backs to reloading steel was. Thanks for the info.

9. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

Jack O (emphasis on the J, stupid typos), All the Wolf I've used is 223 and 7.62x39mm. Didn't know they boxer primed anything. Good to know.

10. J.A.

J.A. Guest

http://www.wolfammo.com/Pistol.htm
    As you can see from the list 2 calibers are boxer primed.
    I have reloaded 7.62x39mm berdan primed steel cases just becasue people said it couldn't be done.
    Also loaded some S&B 223 boxer primed steel cases twice.

11. Mike southers

Mike southers Guest

The Wolf .45 cases are made/ the ammo is loaded in Germany. Probably the reason it is Boxer primed compared to rifle rounds loaded in former communist countries where Berdan priming was/is the rule.

12. Fitz Grips

Fitz Grips Guest

45 acp steel casings WW2

When brass ran short in WW2 steel 45 acp casings were produced. There was a very expert old shooter in the 60's who used steel 45acp cases exclusively. Any found were given to him and he did great. When he passed away I bought a bunch of iis stuff at the range and there was no sign of corrosion on any of them. I lubed and reloaded them in my carbide dies and they worked just fine til someone talked me out of them.

I then settled on GI WCC brass of the same year to shoot as it was stronger, lasted longer and was MILSPEC made to military specifications and of the same year. An identical lot was valuable to me. And I loaded identical lots of a thousand with the WW231 from a 12 pound barrel, the same lot # of Federal Primers. The Bullets made from Ca-Saeco molds with lead of the same hardness and I wound up with a batch of 1000 rounds with the same point of impact no matter how long it took me to shoot them.