close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Sten Gun ?'s help

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by SPOCAHP ANAR, May 14, 2002.

1. SPOCAHP ANAR

SPOCAHP ANAR G&G Enthusiast

I have found a site that sells a booklet with construction details how to make a a semi auto Sten gun from commercial parts sets. included in this kit is BATF guidelines and FBI card for registration.

It sounds legite, does anyone else here know of anything out there that is similar to what I have described? If so what would the construction costs be? Is there alot of machining involved(converting bolt/new parts made)? Catco sells their semi auto kit for 270$ and then you buy the parts/reciever housing and assemble. Would this be the better way to go?

I don't want to invest in this if I am going to have to spend a lot of moulah to assemble it by machining a bunch of new parts.

Ill send the URl to anyone who is interested in checking it out.

2. Eric

Eric G&G Newbie

USA
    Lot's and I mean lot's of companies sell Sten parts sets. These kits include every part except the receiver tube. I've NEVER seen them for more that $139. They're usually around $119 with one mag. Just get a shotgun news and flip thru it. Jeff's Shooter supply sells the rec. tube blanks for $39. Hope that helps. Good Shooting! Eric

3. SPOCAHP ANAR

20 years

assembling these reciever tubes with kits are illegal. you need to follow BATF guidlines for semi auto construction. Need info on this procedure if any one has it.

4. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

The selector switch on the STEN guns HAVE to be welded in the "semi" position. The selector cannot move when installed for legality purposes. As far as the parts kits, it would be best to consult the BATF to determine if you would be assembling an illegal/legal weapon.
    BTW, avoid the Mk3 STEN parts. The Mk3 was the worst STEN gun produced. Get a Mk1 or 2. The best was the Mk2. HTH, and let us know what you find out. I'm interested in building one myself.

5. SPOCAHP ANAR

From what I have read from atf manul on the ATF sten is that this would be illegal. The mechanisism was fixed so as to trip to semi auto so as not to be a repeat fire gun. The Atf ruled this to be the Same as a full auto sten since the gun could be manipulated into full auto by bending or cutting the trip mechanism. Thus it was ruled a FULL Auto weapon.

Where did you find your info Calvin? I will contact the ATF.

6. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

All of the newly made STEN copies are configured with the selector welded, so as to prevent the operator from switching to full-auto. It's my understanding that you can use the original bolt and sear, but there was something that had to be modified, and I can't remember what the h-e-double toothpicks it was. I may contact the ATF myself, because I know I'll be awake half of the night tonight thinking of what the modification is.
    Let me know what you find out.

7. SPOCAHP ANAR

Ill get it.

Hey calvin Ill order the modification manual its only 10$ and they add the atf guidlines in there so as not to go wrong. If anyone wants them Ill send them out. It will be a while before I order though