Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Stephen Hawking, famed physicist, dead at 76

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by grizcty, Mar 14, 2018 at 1:00 AM.

1. grizcty

grizcty God, Guns, Glory Forum Contributor

I reckon Stephen, has found out about God by now.
    I DO agree with him on this: The one puzzle he never figured out.
    Hawking replied, "Women. They are a complete mystery."

Stephen Hawking, the famed theoretical physicist who defied a diagnosis of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis to live virtually his entire adult life with the disease – in a wheelchair and paralyzed but making constant contributions to a world few could understand – has died at age 76, a family spokesman said.

Although Hawking may have been incapacitated physically, he managed to write books, including the best seller "A Brief History of Time," teach physics and mathematics, deliver speeches and even float in zero gravity, all while working in the fields of cosmology and quantum gravity.

He was not modest about what he wanted to do. "My goal is simple," he once said. "It is a complete understanding of the universe, why it is as it is and why it exists at all."

Hawking reached his eighth decade, but was forced to miss a scientific debate to mark his 70th birthday in January 2012 because he was discharged from a hospital only two days earlier. His personal assistant told the Daily Telegraph at the time his speech was getting noticeably slower, sometimes only a word a minute.

As part of the events surrounding his birthday, Hawking gave a rare interview to New Scientist magazine and declared there was still one puzzle left for him. Asked what he thought about most during the day, Hawking replied, "Women. They are a complete mystery."

In earlier interviews, Hawking was frank about his physical restrictions. "I'm sure my disability has a bearing on why I'm well known," he said in an interview with the BBC. "People are fascinated by the contrast between my very limited physical powers, and the vast nature of the universe I deal with.

"I'm the archetype of a disabled genius, or should I say a physically challenged genius, to be politically correct. At least I'm obviously physically challenged. Whether I'm a genius is more open to doubt."

Hawking was married and divorced twice. His first wife, Jane Wilde, was a fellow student at Cambridge to whom he was married for 28 years. He then married his nurse, Elaine Mason, whom he was with for 11 years before they separated.

He is survived by three children from his first marriage, Robert, Timothy and Lucy.

Stephen William Hawking was born Jan. 8, 1942, in Oxford, England. He had two younger sisters and an adopted brother.

Hawking developed an early interest in science and mathematics, and when he was old enough his father, a medical researcher, encouraged him to apply to Oxford.

While there, Hawking began his studies in physics, and developed an interest in thermodynamics, relativity, and quantum mechanics.

After graduating from Oxford, Hawking studied at Cambridge, where he was diagnosed with ALS. Also known as Lou Gehrig's Disease, ALS is a fatal, motor neuron disease that causes progressive muscle weakness and atrophy.

He later said the diagnosis prompted recurring dreams in which he would sacrifice his own life to save others.

"After all, if I were going to die anyway, it might as well do some good," he said. "But I didn't die. In fact, although there was a cloud hanging over my future, I found, to my surprise, that I was enjoying life in the present more than before."

Shortly after earning his PhD, Hawking became a professor at Cambridge, working as a research fellow then a professorial fellow before becoming the Lucasian Professor of Mathematics. That same position, which he held from 1979 to 2009, was held by Isaac Newton in 1669.

Hawking was awarded 12 honorary degrees and was elected one of the youngest Fellows of the Royal Society in 1974. He was later made a Commander of the Order of the British Empire in 1982 and a Companion of Honor in 1989. He is also a member of the US National Academy of Science and was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2009.

Hawking's research focused on cosmology and the basic laws of the universe. Along with Roger Pemrose, he applied a new model to Einstein's General Theory of Relativity. The model showed that space and time are infinite, and they would begin with the Big Bang and end with black holes.

He also concluded that black holes should emit radiation, and that the universe has no edge or boundary in imaginary time.

Hawking was never afraid to voice his opinion, even if it could be considered controversial.

Using a mathematical basis, he said he was almost certain that alien life existed in other parts of the universe. "The numbers alone make thinking about aliens perfectly rational," he said. "The real challenge is to work out what aliens might actually be like."

He also took a jab at religion, saying, "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark."
    chesterwin, TNPIRATE, jwrauch and 6 others like this.
  2. Rocky7

Rocky7 G&G Evangelist

He was remarkable. I read a Brief History of Time and could make sense of a lot of it.

He was dead wrong about God. I know that for a fact. By now I expect he does, too.
    jwrauch, big shrek, PAPA G and 3 others like this.

3. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I hope he stumbled onto the only truth that really matters...
    Jaison, TXplt, jwrauch and 6 others like this.
  4. Dutch

Dutch G&G Evangelist

Good write-up, thanks for sharing.
    grizcty, jwrauch, PAPA G and 2 others like this.
  5. Rambo

Rambo G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

He expanded our thinking concerning the universe and he knew exactly where he was going in death.
    neophyte and PAPA G like this.
  6. Rest in Peace Buddy !.................
    jwrauch and PAPA G like this.
  7. Gun Junkie

Gun Junkie G&G Evangelist

I don't believe he knows anything, and won't until resurrection at the time of our Savior's 2nd coming.
    neophyte, ChaZam, grizcty and 2 others like this.
  8. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    The human race is poorer for losing Hawking. I mourn today.

Completely aside from his considerable accomplishments, I remember the story of his visit to the set of Star Trek: The Next Generation. He was there in connection with filming a promo for his book, A Brief History of Time. He was given a tour of the sets, and when he got to the bridge set, he asked if he could be lifted from his motorized wheelchair to sit in the Captain's chair on the bridge of the Enterprise-D. The producers of course were happy to do this for him. One of the most brilliant minds of the 20th Century, and like any fan, when he got to that set all he wanted was to sit in the center seat. You have to love that.

it also will be interesting to see how The Big Bang Theory deals with Hawking's passing. He guest-starred a number of times on the show, and he was a friend of Sheldon Cooper's as established in a number of episodes. Howard Wolowitz also worked with Hawking in TBBT universe -- in fact, it was he who introduced Sheldon to Hawking -- so there are grounds for a special, out of sequence episode where the cast has to come to terms with the fact that he is gone. It would be a fitting tribute to the man.
    neophyte, timv, Rocky7 and 1 other person like this.
  9. Huey Rider

Huey Rider G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

May he rest in peace.

It is ironic that he died on the same day Einstien was born in1879.
    PAPA G, Cyrano and Rocky7 like this.
  10. ACfixer

ACfixer Global Warming Enthusiast Forum Contributor

Another godless liberal blowhard. Subscribed to "climate change", if he's to be taken seriously as a scientist he would have demanded proof. Just because you are smart doesn't make you right, in fact in can be just the opposite if you're arrogant and that he was. He said he "knew what happened before the big bang", horseshit to the bone.
    PAPA G, Jaison, neophyte and 5 others like this.
  11. jwrauch

jwrauch G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

It's really sad that a man can be that intelligent and yet miss the most important truth in the universe >>> the existence of God and His Son, Jesus. I honestly don't think he will RIP !!!
    grizcty, PAPA G, Huey Rider and 4 others like this.
  12. Rocky7

Rocky7 G&G Evangelist

Do not judge, my friend. Hawking bore a cross that I did not envy. All told, I think he did rather well. As for the rest, I think God has a decent sense of humour and is not so easily are we with our own children, non?
    PAPA G, jwrauch, neophyte and 2 others like this.
  13. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

He had a tough cross to bear in life and I am sorry that he could not find the one entity that could help him bear it.

One can be too smart for one’s own good and finding wisdom isn’t the same as analyzing and creating models based on man’s world.

A person can do some pretty crazy things trying to fill a spiritual void; some of these are true and useful to others and some are not. Like anything else he was a mixed bag. Where he went off the rails was in the global warming hoax and in despite overcoming significant adversity in his personal life always telling us the sky is falling. Finding humility is finding wisdom.

I hope God grants him peace.
    grizcty, jwrauch, neophyte and 2 others like this.
  14. ACfixer

ACfixer Global Warming Enthusiast Forum Contributor

This thought crossed my mind after I wrote what I did Rocky, perhaps he changed his mind on God out of bitterness, being granted a fantastic mind but dealt a real tough hand with ALS. We can and will never know God's purpose to allow such an awful disease, but we cannot comprehend what God knows either.

But the things with Mr. Hawking I have a hard time dealing with are that he claimed to know things that he could not possibly know and use his status in the world to sell it to the public. The origin (and size) of the universe, and the non-existence of a Creator. How many people took what he said as their own version of Gospel and decided there was no God because of his personal views? He's a scientist, he of all people should know you cannot prove something does not exist and he has a responsibility as a scientist IMO to leave politics and religion out of it. Matters of faith are not scientific, we have scientific evidence but not observable proof which is what science requires to state something as a fact and not a theory. If he sells it as a fact as he often did with religion and politics, then he is partly responsible for those that choose to believe it as such, because with power comes responsibility. He did not know for a fact the there is no God, nor does he know for a fact that any kind of climate change is man made. It's downright irresponsible as a scientist to claim either one. He's entitles to his opinion, but he always stated it as a fact.

Read here, he did not say he thinks this is how it went down, he says he knows it.

By the way the latest explanation he gives is the earth was formed 14 billion years ago. Fattening up a lie is the only way to keep telling it, because it wasn't that many years ago he said 6 billion. That means he missed by 8 billion, crap I could have said the earth was 1 year old and would have been 2 billion years more accurate by his own admission. Just like Tyson saying the universe is twice as big as originally thought just a few years ago.... so? I'll tell you right now it's at least twice again that size according to their next estimate and I didn't even finish a year in college. He doesn't know this stuff, nobody does and it's irresponsible to say otherwise. The OBSERVABLE universe is the only thing you can prove, not one mile beyond.

I hope Mr. Hawking had a change of heart and an infilling of the spirit before his death, because if there's anything I can think of worse than ALS it would be dying without our Savior.
    grizcty, ChaZam, PAPA G and 4 others like this.
  15. chesterwin

chesterwin G&G Evangelist

from someone challenged.
    jwrauch, Rocky7, PAPA G and 1 other person like this.

TNPIRATE Yo Ho Ho And A Bottle Of Rum Forum Contributor

All I have to say is sad.

I knew who he was. Never listened to what he was saying. It is sad that he was afflicted with ALS. Afflictions such as these are always sad, from ALS to down syndrome, to cancer, to God only knows.

But as far as the universe goes, true we can only see what we see, and know what we see.
    But I honestly believe that the universe is massively bigger than what any of us, or any scientist actually knows. I have always believed that We Are Not Alone. We, and our universe can not be the only one out there. Just because we are human, and man, does not mean we know everything. We are not as smart as we think we are.

NASA and the space program has sent out probes to take pictures of Mars, Saturn, and such, and where that probe ends up no one really knows.
    What's going to happen when those probes go out so far that it takes say 60 years or longer, for those signals to come back to earth? The ones who were on the program who sent out the probe will either be retired, or dead. The new batch of people that are in place are looking at different studies and newer ideas. Will this new batch of people even know what that space probe is and what it is sending back? Will they even care?

Man has always wanted to know what was out there. Go back to the Old Testament and the tower of Babel. Didn't the king want to see who God was?
    Rocky7, PAPA G and jwrauch like this.
  17. Kmcdowell

Kmcdowell G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Omaha NE
    Written by Franklin Graham

World-renowned physicist Stephen Hawking died today at age 76. He once said, "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." I wish I could have asked Mr. Hawking who he thought designed the human brain. The designers at HP, Apple, Dell, or Lenovo have developed amazing computers, but none come even close to the amazing capabilities of the human mind. Who do you think designed the human brain? The Master Designer—God Himself. I wish Stephen Hawking could have seen the simple truth that God is the Creator of the universe he loved to study and everything in it.
    The Bible says, "You alone are the Lord. You have made the heavens, The heaven of heavens with all their host, The earth and all that is on it, The seas and all that is in them. You give life to all of them And the heavenly host bows down before You” (Nehemiah 9:6).
    grizcty, TXplt, Huey Rider and 5 others like this.
  18. Rocky7

Rocky7 G&G Evangelist

I'm no scientist, but it seems to me the scientific basis for atheism goes something like this:

Gun Junkie, grizcty, TXplt and 4 others like this.
  19. jwrauch

jwrauch G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

It takes more faith to deny that there is a Cause to all that exists than it does to believe in a Creator. The first sin was pride (Satan's) and I believe that's behind atheism>> which tries to set man up as his own god !!!
    Gun Junkie, grizcty, TXplt and 2 others like this.