Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, Nick finally got a buck, but it was as bad as the shot I made on my doe a few days ago. The deer was about 15 ft on the other side of the fence, and the shot completely severed a two-wire strand of barbed wire before hitting the deer. This turned a neck shot into a near-identical, rear-spine shot like I had on my doe a few days ago. It's a long story, but I had to go up to where he was and finish the deer for him because he's got a pinched nerve in his neck and couldn't climb over the fence. He's a big deer though, after I dressed him out, we used my FIL's cotton scale which weighs up to 160 lbs. and it pegged the scale before we had him completely off the ground. His rack isn't huge, but he'll fill the freezer nicely.

Attachments

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
Hey toolman thanks for the picture. I've got one more chance to kill a Buck after Christmas, Deer season is closed right now but will reopen in a few days.
All I want is one and I would like to take one with my new rifle.
Congrats to your step son ...A.H

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey toolman thanks for the picture. I've got one more chance to kill a Buck after Christmas, Deer season is closed right now but will reopen in a few days.
All I want is one and I would like to take one with my new rifle.
Congrats to your step son ...A.H
Good Luck to ya Mike! Our season ends on Jan. 4, so I've still got plenty of time to get a buck (I hunt in a 2 antlerless, 1 buck county), but I don't know what I'd do with it, we're out of freezer space as it is and I haven't even picked up my 2 does from the processor yet! I'm giving one to my sister and 2 nieces, and I'll probably give some meat to our neighbors, but my FIL informed me tonight, that he's bringing back another large doe from his sisters' house after Christmas for me. This is on top of over 200 dove and a large hog that went in the freezer this summer! I can eat dove and venison almost every meal, but the wife and grandkids start fussin' after day two or three, so I've got to get rid of some meat. BTW, what's up with your season stopping and starting back up? Ours runs straight through from 11\3 until 1\6 (general season), archery season runs from 9\29 until 11\2.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
Tell him congratulations,and that I have seldom tried to shoot by something(trees,wire,tires on my friends irrigation,)that I didnt wind up hitting what I wanted to miss and usually missing what I wanted to hit.He got lucky. sam.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts