Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stevens 301 410 single shot 26in barrel.

When looking for a 410 single shot I had 4 things in mind, cost, weight, changeable choke tubes and an ejector instead of an extractor. I did research for about a month, online and visiting stores. I did toy with the idea of the Henry single shot 410, but the 6.5 listed weight was a no go for me. So, I decided on the Stevens 301. Cost was $166 out the door, weight was 4.6 pounds, it came with a modified choke tube, Winchoke style and the ejector will send the empty shells over ones shoulder. It came sling ready.

It comes with a black synthetic stock and the feel is solid. However, I’m not fond of the black and have thought about painting it. But it is what it is…The break down lever is right next to the hammer and makes reloading fast. The brake open was a little stiff, but some oil and usage has it working fine.

Using the modified choke and my favorite 410 rounds, 3in #4 & #6 birdshot, it was accurate and patterned well at 25yds and less. The same can be said for the 3in #7 ½ shot. It also shoots 2 ½ & 3in slugs accurate from about 30yds. Good enough to bring down 2 or 4 legged varmints or deer. I will be adding a full choke and maybe a extra-full choke.

It does have a manual safety. Which I was not thrilled about, but I have grown to like it. The safety is located on the left side of the receiver. But it is located so that it is easily manipulated by the thumb of the shooting hand. What I like about the safety, it allows me to have the hammer at full cock and not have to worry about a discharge.

So for a $166 shotgun, I am well pleased with it. For about $20 more one can get the turkey model that is optic ready, but comes with an Extra-full choke tube. I’m thinking about getting the turkey model in 12gauge. Yes, I like single shots

·
Banned
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
now get some shells loaded with TSS # 9 shot and go turkey hunting.
I was not aware of the 301 turkey model guns, until after I bought my standard model. I think they came out after I bought mine. Stevens claims the turkey model is " 26-inch barrel optimized for Federal Premium® HEAVYWEIGHT TSS turkey loads". So it makes me wonder if mine is up to handling those shells. I just don't know what they mean by "optimized"

·
Registered
37 Posts
Looking on Savages website shows it comes in other configurations also. Sent that to my wife as she likes 410 and is thinking of getting a reloader for it.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
optimized is a fancy word for choked.
it really goes deeper than that, but for 160 bucks it don't.

·
Banned
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
optimized is a fancy word for choked.
it really goes deeper than that, but for 160 bucks it don't.
I'm still waiting on a reply from Stevens to tell what the difference is, if there is one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts