close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Stevens Model 325-C help!!

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by bobbyblank, Dec 9, 2008.

1. bobbyblank

bobbyblank G&G Newbie

I have an old stevens model 325-C that my father gave me years ago. I would shoot every now and then, but I put it away when it stopped ejecting shells. Didnt look at it, just figured i would fix it later. That was 5 years ago :sorry:. It extracted fine, but would not spit the shell. When i pulled it out if the closet and took the bolt out, it dosent even look like the bolt has an ejector [​IMG]. Im not familiar with this rifle and couldnt google up a picture of the front of the bolt or any breakaway diagrams. If anyone has one of these old rifles and could take a few snaps of your bolt so i can reference the pic to my bolt face, that would be great. Or anyone know of a diagram of the rifle anywhere? Ill try to post a few cellphone pictures as my camera is in the shop.

Thanks,

bobby
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

That would Be an EXTRACTOR on the bolt, the Ejector will be farther back on the reciever...
    You might need to have a Gunsmith replace the EXTRACTOR...
    That is the piece on the Left hand side when looking at the face of the bolt in the lower pic..
    Rich

3. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Numrich (e-gunparts_dot_com) will have the part - any decent 'smith can change it out. These are popular rifles, and replacement parts are plentiful.

4. bobbyblank

bobbyblank G&G Newbie

first you say the ejector is in the back of the "reciver", then you say its on the left side of the "bolt". which is it?

does the 325 have duel extractors or is one of the flanges on the side of the bolt used to eject shells? im just looking to find out where the ejector on this rifle is. I assumed it would be on the bolt face, but all i can see is the extractors, fireing pin, and a slot or channel on the lower right (when looking at bolt face) of the bolt. It looks like this channel or sleve might be for the ejector, but im not sure.

5. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Bobby...
    Read my post again Carefully...
    The EXTRACTOR is on the bolt...it extracts the cartridge case by gripping the rim of the cartridge.

The EJECTOR is a separate part that does not come in to play until the bolt is pulled almost all the way back,it is attached to the Reciever and it rides in the slot of the bolt and is a protruding part that hits the back of the cartridge to "Kick" it out of the boltface.

Extraction and ejection are 2 separate actions by 2 different parts..

Rich

6. pajaro

pajaro G&G Newbie

looks almost identical to the 340 savage series..... a sheet metal like extractor on the bolt, and a spring loaded ejector inside the slide of the reciever..... my bet is that the spring on the ejector is busted.....

just checked my numrich catelogue...... and there it is under savage model 340.... includes the 325c..... just google up numrich and check their schematics, you can see the parts.... they are easy to install yourself, no need for a gunsmith..........

7. bobbyblank

bobbyblank G&G Newbie

Thanks pajaro. I thought the ejector would be on the bold like and AR, or other rifles i have seen. I just needed to know if it was in the bolt or the reciever. The whole unit is missing. spring and all, must have been ripped out some how the last time i shot it years ago. i checked numrich for it and they dont have any ejector parts. Will the savage 340 parts slip in or are they just similar? Guess i will have to hit up some local places to see if they might have anything.....

8. pajaro

pajaro G&G Newbie

325 stevens

hey, bobbyblank..... tell you what.... if i were you i would call numrich by telephone and tell them what you need..... i'm willing to bet that they have it in stock...... the parts numbers are: 322-56 (spring), 325a-53 (ejector), and 325a-55 (pin)..... the only variations seem to be that for 22 hornet there may be a different configuration for the ejector.....

i'd get a light and examine the slide area closely. take the stock off to see what's going on more clearly...... i bet its just the spring and all the other parts are still there..... i seem to recall the same thing happening to me a few years ago, and when i took it apart to examine it, all the stuff was there except the spring was buggered up a little.... i think i just bent it straight again, and it worked......its kind of a hokey system, but what the heck..... here's the number to call... 914-679-2417.... but do check to see if those parts are still in the reciever, and if the spring is fixable yourself.......

9. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Your extractor is broken,forget the ejector.What happens is the extractor pulls the case from the chamber but when the case is loose in the housing it moves out of the bolt face and the ejector can't hit it to eject it.The extractors are sheet metal spring steel and you just push the broken one up and off and clip the new one in place.buy at least two in case it happens again. sam.

10. pajaro

pajaro G&G Newbie

??????? i'm curious to know.... did this solve your problem? .... ?????

11. bobbyblank

bobbyblank G&G Newbie

not yet, just got back into town from work, been gone for a few days. Im going to try to post up a few pictures with my camera tomarrow just for clarification. There is an empty recess in the lower which i belive to be where the ejector is missing. I dont belive it to be a broken extractor, they are in fine shape, and it pulls shells just fine. Ill get some pictures up tomarrow.

12. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Pull the bolt all the way back.If the ejector is there you will see the tip of it.Also,look at the extractor.You should have a full u shape on one side and an s shape on the other.If the u shape breaks the cartridge will move over instead of ejecting even tho it will still extract. sam.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2008
  13. bobbyblank

bobbyblank G&G Newbie

Here are some pics to explain what im talking about. And a pic of the extractors..which are not broken...

The area in red is where i assume the ejector is supposed to be. There is clearly nothing there and the pin is also missing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Yep,it looks like the ejector is missing! Numrich has them for $1.40 and $2.05 for the spring. sam.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
  15. bobbyblank

bobbyblank G&G Newbie

What!?!? haha, are you kidding?? I picked up an ejector, spring, and pin elsewhere for 37.50 shipped haha. I hope that was just a typo.

Thanks for the help all.

16. pajaro

pajaro G&G Newbie

when you get it installed, let us know how it works............. where did you get the parts.... my numrich catalogue shows the three parts for about 15.00..... but its 9 years out of date....... have prices gone up?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
  17. bobbyblank

bobbyblank G&G Newbie

i dont remember the name of the place but i have thier phone number. They are out of south dakota. Very friendly. No online catalog though, just tell them what you need. I when i looked them up at numrich i couldnt find them and i got trapped in an automated loop over the phone so i gave up. Got lucky and a local smith gave me a number to a place. It may have been a few buck more, but 40 bucks to fix a great rifle is no problem for me. No need to push pennies, i would rather be able to fix it and keep the rifle. Ill be sure to post up pictures for you and let you know how it went. Thanks pajaro, your info has been the most helpful.
    Hey, i just noticed your from new castle, im in east sacramento. Maybe ill see you at a range one of these days!

18. deputy125

deputy125 G&G Newbie

19. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

I keep forgetting the dam* dot. I'll fix it! sam.

20. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

I tried to correct my error,but am so stupid I can't even do that.I had the wrong gun.Disreguard all I posted.Glad you got the parts.I am very mad at me.I have an excuse,I was working on a gun,talking to someone and trying to help you.I went to a m340 with a picture and thought I was still on a m325 and got the parts price.Now that I have checked,numrich doesn't have much on the m325.I apoligise. sam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted