Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They certainly are priced right, and they look good, but do they work?

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have an old 77B 16ga.
Do you like it? Is it well made? Are the fit and finish up to par?

I must admit, I was asking about the new Stevens security shotguns, and I should have clarified that. I apologize. But I wouldn't mind knowing what you guys think of the classic Stevens shotguns as well. Does the company have a decent reputation?

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Stevens made more shotguns at the turn of the century than anybody. They were well built and dependable, just plain. I have two 520 pumps and three SXS's

·
Registered
581 Posts
I have a Stevens 620 and a Savage 69RXL(e), both pump 12 Ga. Same company, similar design. Built like a tank. Very reliable and solid. Conversions and optional parts are not available, as they are for a Remington or Mossberg, but if you are going to use it in 'as built' configuration they are a great choice.

Robert

·
Registered
659 Posts
I've got my Dad's Stevens/Fox 16ga. SxS. It shoots great. I need to replace the plastic butt plate with a better one so my wife can shoot it.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmmmm....I don't suppose anyone has, say, pictures? I would certainly like to know what the old ones look like.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I've got a double 20 sxs that says Stevens, Springfield and model 511 which I found is the precursor for the famous 311 series. It's old but a great gun.

Dave

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I have my grandfathers old SxS 12ga. It's not pretty and shows alot of use but It still shoots like it should. That speaks for its self I think

·
Registered
59 Posts
since you were asking about the "new" "security" stevens i will chime in. my brother use to have an old stevens 12g pump. he loved it. not fancy but shot well. i used a stevens 311 16g sxs for years. blocky and fugly but killed several boat loads of stuff from quail to geese. lost that one in a fire and promply replaced it with a very old and very nice stevens springfield 16g sxs. now to your question. i have a stevens model 350 pump with 18 in barrel and ghost ring sights. i assume this may be considered a "security" type. it is a chinese made ithaca 37 copy cat. i have shot several hundred rds of buck and slugs through it. gun is no frills but is very reliable so far. only real issues so far is a horrible trigger and the rear sight could not be lowered enough to perfectly zero slugs at 50 yds. i installed a tru-glow red dot rear sight and it serves as our HD and camping gun. hope this was useful. also, this shotgun cost about $175.00 new last fall. there are lots of nicer shotguns out there but i can't think of any in this price range.

·
Registered
5,998 Posts
My f-i-l had a Stevens 311 sxs. Nothing fancy, just a workhorse.
My brother-in-law has a Stevens 311 SxS w/ 28" modified/improved cylinder. Tough and dependable. He dove hunts with it alot and always comes back with his legal limit. He has had it most of his life.

My brother has one that I remember has the Savage name on it. It looks almost like mybrother-in-law's Stevens (above). I think his bores are full/modified.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Hmmmm....I don't suppose anyone has, say, pictures? I would certainly like to know what the old ones look like.
311A cut back to 18 1/2 inches. I would like to get a set of full length barrels for it but nobody has any.

Two 520's Top is late model and bottom is early.

Not a good pic but the top is a 5100 and third is a Riverside made by Stevens.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
I had a model 67 and I never had any problems with it. I gave it to my son and he sold it to a friend.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
311A cut back to 18 1/2 inches. I would like to get a set of full length barrels for it but nobody has any.

Two 520's Top is late model and bottom is early.

Not a good pic but the top is a 5100 and third is a Riverside made by Stevens.

I like the look of those 520's. They have that really groovy turn of the century look to them (19th to 20th).

·
Premium Member
6,377 Posts
I have a 20ga 311a that I have been taking on the fall canoe trip every year. It has fed me several grouse and hundreds of clays.

It's not the prettiest gun on the shelf but the one that works the hardest. I had to have one of the firing pin holes reamed when I first got it, and it still doesn't like federal shells in the left barrel, but other than that, it's never let me down.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I have a Stevens 9478 single shot 12 gauge and it's a good working class shotgun, it's not pretty (especially since i wrapped it in camoflauge tape) But it's taken countless squirrels, a few turkeys, and even a deer. It's well made and durable.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts