Stew...and your one secret ingredient

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by killer, May 9, 2008.

1. killer

killer G&G Newbie

What one item MUST you have in your stew. I used to say onion but after experimenting with those bell peppers (green and orange so far) I have changed my mind.

They really take over and add a distinct flavor. I would advise half a bell pepper first kettle of stew.

2. turner

turner Guest

I'll say that it seems to make a better "gravy" if, when you originally brown your meat chunks, they are floured first. I like the way, as it continues to cook with added ingredients, it thicken into a great base, even when you add (HOT) water.

3. Tabasco y'u gotta have Tabasco! and a little salt of course

4. billy

billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

i dont have 1 secret ingredient.
    but the way to a great stew is bite the bullet and spend the time to find the very freshest,best, top drawer ingredients.
    and follow the recipe exactly.
    it doesnt have to simmer for a week on low heat or any of that other nonsense.

5. turner

turner Guest

+1.... Agreed!

6. Well Onion is one and Bay leaf is another...But a rounded half table spoon of Red pepper flakes really bumps it up a couple notches.
    It want be to much heat but it will give the Stew a little more flavor.

7. AKHunter

AKHunter G&G Newbie

Well one cant make a good stew without onion or bay leaf, so I take those as given. For a deciding factor be it chili or stew...Worchestershire sauce.

8. Troy

Troy G&G Enthusiast

that's known as WOOSTER in my house. there's gotta be wooster in a good stew.

9. Now your not talking about making stew if you stuck in a blizzard are you?
    For Stew I like white pepper. It just makes the stew. And leave it overnight in the fridge. Makes all the flavor come out.

10. Steve

Steve Master Gunsmith Staff Member

Even though it is for chilli i like a dash of cummin and a little cilantro it really peps the stew up and adds a little western flavor to it.
    steve

11. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

For me, it's gotta be garlic - not too much. I eat enough I'm pretty safe from Vampires.

12. My wife will cook a roast the has garlic stuck in it that goes in the stew.
    By the way I love stew and corn bread...it's fitt'in...A.H

Yall do put carrots in your stews don't you ?

13. Seven©

Seven© G&G Evangelist

WNC
  14. If I had to pick one secret ingredient, I'd say beer. Brown the floured beef, pork or lamb thoroughly, then pour at least one can of beer over it before adding the other ingredients and the rest of the liquid.

Killer, if you like bell peppers in your stew you might try poblano peppers. Some stores call them pasillas, but a pasilla is a different pepper (also good). Poblanos look kind of like a cross between a dark bell pepper and a Jalapeno; they're about six inches long, triangular shaped and usually flattened and and wrinkled. They aren't very hot; using the same amount of poblano as you've been using of bell pepper shouldn't do more than give the stew just a little tingle. But they're very flavorful. If you can't find them fresh look for them dried, when they're known as anchos.

When I use peppers of any kind, I leave the celery out; it just seems kind of redundant.

15. +1 on the poblanos if you cant find fresh poblanos try ancho. The ancho is a dried poblano. The secret ingredient is a little butter.

16. AKHunter

AKHunter G&G Newbie

A friend of mine whos wife is english ( says everyone in england does this)calls it Werster sauce. Drives me nuts how the english can come up with these ridiculously long names, then turn around and be so **** lazy when it comes to pronouncing them !

17. bigbuddy21

bigbuddy21 G&G Evangelist

tomatos, chili powder, cummin, corriander, garlic, tomato paste or sauce
    it's called chuckwagon stew and it's goooood.
    when i make it i also make redchili biscuits. you make homemade biscuits
    and add a little chilipowder to the mix.

18. There are plenty of things i throw in a stew that make it different.From french onion soup packs to chillies and garlic and all sorts of different types of sauce.But the No1 ingredient is Vegemite.

19. Lamb. Lamb stew is awsome.