Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about the Steyr M95 long rifle. I see many of the carbines but not too many of the long rifles. I saw a long rifle in ok condition today and thinking of getting it. They are wanting $125 for it. Are these long rifles rarer or more collectable then the carbines?

·
Registered
8,553 Posts
I don't think the Steyr M95 has much collectibility at the moment but who knows; with PRVI producing ammo for it, it's popularity may increase thus its value.
Anything is 'more' collectable to the person who wants it for their collection.
Personally I've never seen any M95 long rifle and for $125 I think I'd add it to my collection of rag-tag odd-ball milsurps...but I just love those old guns...just for kicks.

Heh heh...you buy it...post a few pics...and then I can say "I don't have one but I've seen one and it's so cool".

·
Premium Member
9,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think the Steyr M95 has much collectibility at the moment but who knows; with PRVI producing ammo for it, it's popularity may increase thus its value.
Anything is 'more' collectable to the person who wants it for their collection.
Personally I've never seen any M95 long rifle and for $125 I think I'd add it to my collection of rag-tag odd-ball milsurps...but I just love those old guns...just for kicks.

Heh heh...you buy it...post a few pics...and then I can say "I don't have one but I've seen one and it's so cool".
I know what your saying Oldjarhead about collecter value and ammo availability. I have a few carbines from hungary and I only paid about $100 each. They were neat looking so I bought them and hoping that they may go up just a bit in value. Its not one of my favorite milsurps but just an addition to the family like my Carcano,s. I just have never seen a long rifle and intact. Ok buddy then I will buy it and post some pics so you can say you saw one. Randy

·
Registered
5,998 Posts
If the Steyr Model 95 service rifle is in as nice a condition as the Steyr Model 95 carbines and "Stutzens" floating around lately, then I would buy it for $125. I paid $95 for my "Stutzen" which is a shortened service rifle.

A lot of Austrian Steyr Model 95 rifles were inherited by the German Army during World War II when Austria was essentially and voluntarally "annexed" into Germany proper before hostilities commenced. Annexations were not so cordual and friendly after that.

Many of the Model 95s were shortened into carbine length weapons for support troops early in the war until Mauser K98 production could catch up. The 8x56mm cartridge was a logistics problem since it created "another" caliber in the pipeline, but no more so than in most countries in those days. With it's Mannlicher-style en bloc clip system, it was considered as modern as any bolt rifle with a quick loading system. Fortunately, some of the long service rifles survived. Just remember, you'll have to locate some en bloc clips to go with your 8x56mm.

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
ther neat

I was reading a gun mag that featured them, seems they have allot of varitey and more than 3 arsenals and all sorts of diffrent configurations and stampings, should be fun looking for a long gun from each arsenal.the script of the stampings are very pleasing to the eye.

·
Registered
8,553 Posts
Just remember, you'll have to locate some en bloc clips to go with your 8x56mm.
Buy Milsurp has the blocs; and, I believe, Liberty Tree Arms also has them.

I don't have many milsurps but I love'em all.
Spanish Destroyer 9mm Largo
Argentine Calvary Carbine (1891) 7.65 x 53
Italian Cacarno M38 6.5 x 52
Czech Vz52 7.62 x 45 (ammo is hard to get; cheap ammo is impossible)

All of them could tell stories, I wish.

My next just may be a Steyr M95; to my wife's chagrin. I keep telling her..."honey, it's an investment".

Randy, I'll look forward to seeing the pics! And rest assured their value will increase.

·
Registered
668 Posts
These are really cool guns. Their only draw back is the mannlicher clip system. The gun doesnt have any internal feed lips and is basically useless without the clips. i think that and the lack of easily obtainable surplus ammo is what makes them not so popular. Took me like 2 years to find clips for mine even though i had gotten a small bucket of ammo from duhnams for pretty cheap a year earlier. I've got one of them 10 round boxes of nazi stuff left. But since both the clips, ammo, and box is all nazi marked I'm gonna hold onto that one and buy some other stuff when i hit some shows.

I paid quite a bit for mine back when they were really cheap but its all numbers matching, Austrian, in great shape, and I haven't seen a nicer one around me ever so I'm happy i paid what i did. The action takes a bit to get used to but is pretty slick once you get it down. its only advantages over a normal bolt gun is you keep lower when working the action which is good a for a soldier and you dont upset your sight picture as bad. It's not really faster than other bolt guns because the bolt has a rather long travel and its a bit stiffer to work since it's doing so much with one movement.

I think if these things were built originally with a mauser style magazine then these would of been a much more popular arm.

Also yeah the Long rifles are considerably more valuable than the carbines since so many of the long guns were cut down into carbines. an 8x50R will be even more valuable yet than the 8x56R long rifles.

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
Are all the long rifles chambered for the original 8X50R cases? Or do you have to watch out to see if they were converted to the 8x56R?

·
Premium Member
2,771 Posts
I have a question about the Steyr M95 long rifle. I see many of the carbines but not too many of the long rifles. I saw a long rifle in ok condition today and thinking of getting it. They are wanting $125 for it. Are these long rifles rarer or more collectable then the carbines?
YES! and I've never seen them that cheap Randy, they are usually around $300

I've seen them advertised in both rounds gannie.

frenchy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts